College Soccer at GT?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Which of you weirdos knows anything about the potential of adding soccer programs at GT?

Just wondering, in general. We all know the BOR or whatever governing body would kill it when they get the chance, but who knows. kg02 and kg03 would love the option of playing for a real school if/when the time comes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m for this! This needs to happen imo more women’s sports I’ve wondered abt this for several years if GT would get a team up for soccer I hope it’s on the horizon!

I think GT would field a high level team in 3-5 years. The Atlanta metro area is rich with HS soccer talent, and it helps that Atlanta United has academies in GA that also put out talent that don't all go pro. I would love it if we could field a men's and women's team, but that's not probably not feasible.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think GT would field a high level team in 3-5 years. The Atlanta metro area is rich with HS soccer talent, and it helps that Atlanta United has academies in GA that also put out talent that don't all go pro. I would love it if we could field a men's and women's team, but that's not probably not feasible.

Funny thing is, all this is true for all the other sports as well so who knows.

Definitely agree, the soccer talent in town and across the way in SCarolina, is some of the best in the country.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing is, all this is true for all the other sports as well so who knows.

Definitely agree, the soccer talent in town and across the way in SCarolina, is some of the best in the country.

Difference is, soccer talent on the college level isn't attracting bagmen with giant bags of cash and rabid college fanbases.

Sports like baseball, golf, tennis...non revenue sports show the potential of what GT can be in soccer. Those sports aren't the hyper revenue sports that football and men's basketball are.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Difference is, soccer talent on the college level isn't attracting bagmen with giant bags of cash and rabid college fanbases.

Sports like baseball, golf, tennis...non revenue sports show the potential of what GT can be in soccer. Those sports aren't the hyper revenue sports that football and men's basketball are.

Good point(s). Although I do think bag men (of sorts) exist in the non-revenues too but certainly not to the degree they operate in football/basketball.

Still, I can't imagine how/why GT would have a hockey team but not soccer.

slugboy

Staff member
Good point(s). Although I do think bag men (of sorts) exist in the non-revenues too but certainly not to the degree they operate in football/basketball.

Still, I can't imagine how/why GT would have a hockey team but not soccer.
It was part of our planned move to the B1G.

Really, it's a club sport. Soccer is a club sport too. Our varsity sports are
Football
Basketball (M&W)
Cross Country (M&W)
Track (M&W)
Baseball (M)
Softball (W)
Golf
Tennis (M&W)
Swimming & Diving (M&W)
Volleyball

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It was part of our planned move to the B1G.

Really, it's a club sport. Soccer is a club sport too. Our varsity sports are
Football
Basketball (M&W)
Cross Country (M&W)
Track (M&W)
Baseball (M)
Softball (W)
Golf
Tennis (M&W)
Swimming & Diving (M&W)
Volleyball

Dafuq is a 'club sport'? Like an intramural thing.

Also, I recall my buddy's roommate was on the hockey team back in the 90's. How's that track with your B1G comment? You lyin' to me, slug?

slugboy

Staff member
Dafuq is a 'club sport'? Like an intramural thing.

Also, I recall my buddy's roommate was on the hockey team back in the 90's. How's that track with your B1G comment? You lyin' to me, slug?
Long term planning
  1. Add club sports a decade in advance so that B1G wants us
  2. Get secret offer while Gailey is here
  3. Turn them down
  4. Profit!!! (Or not)

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Soccer would be a no-brainer. I'm sure somebody will be along to talk about how we can't afford it, but Atlanta has 6 of the biggest soccer academies in the US. It routinely produces major D-1 talent every year.

You could make a top 25 team, in just a couple of years here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Soccer would be a no-brainer. I'm sure somebody will be along to talk about how we can't afford it, but Atlanta has 6 of the biggest soccer academies in the US. It routinely produces major D-1 talent every year.

You could make a top 25 team, in just a couple of years here.

Yup. Plus I'd relish watching kg02 goin' straight beast mode on these pitches. :sneaky:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Soccer just starting to become huge in the South. The region could definitely use another Power 5 soccer program (men's and women's)...more than enough talent to field a consistent NCAA tournament team at GT.