College Free Agency

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
https://es.pn/2JK83A7

I’m in favor of the rule since I feel power and representation of the SA is teetering on zero, but as many have stated if coaches are allowed to move freely so should the players..

Now we need put a cap on these coaches salaries to ensure that the athletes get a piece of the money pie and not just a benefit package
I agree with the new rule, and i agree there should be a cap on what a coach can get paid. However, I don’t agree with student athletes getting paid for various reason.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Why not just start a nfl minor league for the players who just want to play with no interest in a education. ? It’s supposed to be about getting a education and competing in sports. Pick the school for the right reasons. I think this is a slippery slope. Players getting paid... ok. Then how do they pay the taxes on the “ Benifit of the free education”. So your going to pay a kid 500.00 a mth and he owes taxes on 45k. Good luck with that. Plus he has to pay the taxes on the 500 a mth. Talk about opening Pandora’s box. Lol.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Why not just start a nfl minor league for the players who just want to play with no interest in a education. ? It’s supposed to be about getting a education and competing in sports. Pick the school for the right reasons. I think this is a slippery slope. Players getting paid... ok. Then how do they pay the taxes on the “ Benifit of the free education”. So your going to pay a kid 500.00 a mth and he owes taxes on 45k. Good luck with that. Plus he has to pay the taxes on the 500 a mth. Talk about opening Pandora’s box. Lol.

Being about “education” went out the window long time ago. As for taxes, it would be the same when distributing money out for bowl games payout, meals and etc. The NCAA is a non profit, sure they can write off the expenses

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Would you rather suffer for 4 years but receive a free education, or would you rather suffer for 4 years and be 30,000 in debt. That’s one of my big issues with students getting paid. How is it fair for a student athlete who’s getting a free education, free room, free food ect to get paid but not a regular student busting their butt as well but has to pay for all that stuff? When we say a student athlete should get paid we are valuing them over every other facet of the school imo.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
https://es.pn/2JK83A7

I’m in favor of the rule since I feel power and representation of the SA is teetering on zero, but as many have stated if coaches are allowed to move freely so should the players..

Now we need put a cap on these coaches salaries to ensure that the athletes get a piece of the money pie and not just a benefit package
yes.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Being about “education” went out the window long time ago. As for taxes, it would be the same when distributing money out for bowl games payout, meals and etc. The NCAA is a non profit, sure they can write off the expenses
When your being paid, your being taxed. How about we keep College sports college sports. You get paid when you go pro or get a job. Does anyone really think the IRS won't get involved when you take College sports into the professional stage. If your being paid to play your a professional. kids getting a free education, free healthcare , free tutors, free food, plus some spending cash... Is not a bad deal.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
When your being paid, your being taxed. How about we keep College sports college sports. You get paid when you go pro or get a job. Does anyone really think the IRS won't get involved when you take College sports into the professional stage. If your being paid to play your a professional. kids getting a free education, free healthcare , free tutors, free food, plus some spending cash... Is not a bad deal.

No. It would be no different than the COL stipend just a bit more. The rest you state is a benefit package just like at any other job in the world. “We are recruiting you to our school to put the best product on the field and drive revenue. While you are here, we will provide the education if you like, state of the art facilities, and opportunity to showcase your ability to the NFL”

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The big concern that I have is: where do the payments stop? Do schools only pay football and basketball players since they are revenue sports, or do you have to pay every student-athlete? It will always end up being the latter and that will kill non revenue sports. 90% of the schools in the country would only be able to support football and basketball teams and the smaller schools might as well forget about getting any talent at all, whereas now, they have a small chance.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
There is not enough money to pay athletes. Most athletic dept don’t make a ton of money. Plus you will have to pay everybody, not just football and basketball. If you pay everyone 500/month it will cost around 2.6million a year and we don’t field as many sports as most schools in the ACC. And I think they are asking for more than 500/ month

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
There is not enough money to pay athletes. Most athletic dept don’t make a ton of money. Plus you will have to pay everybody, not just football and basketball. If you pay everyone 500/month it will cost around 2.6million a year and we don’t field as many sports as most schools in the ACC. And I think they are asking for more than 500/ month
WHich is why the NCAA would have to be the ones providing it. Increase NCAA dues by a few percentages for the schools. Bama and Michigan will end up paying more into it than Akron but that's ok.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
And that’s the real problem. Salary caps, stipends, etc. don’t solve the issue. Athletes not interested in education need alternative to “college ball” as @flea77 posted.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No. It would be no different than the COL stipend just a bit more. The rest you state is a benefit package just like at any other job in the world. “We are recruiting you to our school to put the best product on the field and drive revenue. While you are here, we will provide the education if you like, state of the art facilities, and opportunity to showcase your ability to the NFL”
Do you think it’s fair for athletes to get paid over kids going to college not playing sports with no scholarships and going into dept 30,000 after they graduate? Student athletes a lot of times are treated better than just regular students.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

How much of this is paying coaches and building silly "Athletic Complexes" because you can't pay players? Coaching salaries have gotten crazy with silly buyout clauses. And the facility race is not directly helping what is on the field for the most part, but is what is done to "help" with recruiting. When you really look at it, the haves are still the haves and the have nots are still the have nots in general.

I do see the benefit in our indoor facility and in the new Administration Building. But the 2nd seems to be almost a neccessity due to the age of the building and the functionality required. Could a lower cost facility work? Probably.

But when I look at the salaries spent for coaches and sport administrators when you look at the revenues/expenses per year, its way out of whack. Meanwhile, we can't pay players because it would ruin them. I call Bullhonkey on that. Its people not wanting to spread the wealth.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Do you think it’s fair for athletes to get paid over kids going to college not playing sports with no scholarships and going into dept 30,000 after they graduate? Student athletes a lot of times are treated better than just regular students.

What’s any different than regular kids and the elite level musician or high SAT student got a full ride?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You really believe that? It’s just came out that each ACC school is receiving $40MM!!! You mean to tell me allocating $2mil for 350 is undoable?

As @gtwcf stole my thunder. A lot of the money is being “reinvested” and paying ridiculous coaches salaries

If a kid wants to transfer to another school, let him. But if it is a Div 1 school, they should have to sit our a year. If this is not kept then the depth of programs will suffer. If players want to be able to transfer and play, get more money etc, then schools should then have the right to fire the player and revoke the scholarship for lack of performance. Welcome to the world College kids.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What’s any different than regular kids and the elite level musician or high SAT student got a full ride?
I’m fine with them getting scholarships, I’m saying how is it fair for them to get paid extra money per month when they already have the benefit of a full ride when other students are going in debt. They work hard to become an athlete to get a scholarship just as the smart kids work hard to keep grades up and get a scholarship, so they deserve that imo. But even beyond that, why should they get money over a smart kid on scholarship as well? Them not having to pay a penny for school is a blessing and some almost seem ungrateful for having that when they want more, almost as if they are above the rest. (Not saying they all think that way, but it gives that impression in a way)