College Football's General Mediocrity in 2018 and the 2014 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

How well would the 2014 team have done in the 2018 college football season?

• Top 4

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Top 25

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Not Ranked

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
This year is a down year for most college football programs. I think everyone knows this. Arizona State is in prime position to win the PAC-12 South, Northwestern has won the Big Ten West, and Pitt will likely win the ACC Coastal. At some point, you have to ask yourself where the top programs are when Kentucky is ranked in the top 10 in the country during one period this season, and when Syracuse is the second-highest ranked team in the ACC coming in at #12

I firmly believe that the 2014 Georgia Tech team would be a top 10 team this college football season. I also believe that the 2014 team would also have a very good chance of being 9-1 at this point in the season. However, I bring up this topic not to discuss a missed opportunity this season, but a celebration of how good this team was only a few years ago and hope for a return to that form in the near future. I am curious and interested to hear all of your thoughts on the matter

How well do you think that 2014 team would have done in this year's college football landscape? How much hope do you have for a return to that level of play in this program's near future? And with 2 regular season games (and a bowl game) still to go, would you call this season a success, a disappointment, or is the jury still out? What do you hope to see from this team for the remainder of the season?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The offense previous years to 14 kind of sputtered. We even sputtered in 14 (gsu, vt), but then went to a massive line in the second half of games, we took off. . We did drive blocking very well and less ankle blocking . Our skill players played like a well oiled machine and Jet was the difference maker. Before the other teams knew what hit them it was new years eve in orange bowl.

If to that group u add our recent improvement in ol holding, we would be hard to stop.

HelluvaPE

Georgia Tech Fan
This year is a down year for most college football programs. I think everyone knows this. Arizona State is in prime position to win the PAC-12 South, Northwestern has won the Big Ten West, and Pitt will likely win the ACC Coastal. At some point, you have to ask yourself where the top programs are when Kentucky is ranked in the top 10 in the country during one period this season, and when Syracuse is the second-highest ranked team in the ACC coming in at #12

I firmly believe that the 2014 Georgia Tech team would be a top 10 team this college football season. I also believe that the 2014 team would also have a very good chance of being 9-1 at this point in the season. However, I bring up this topic not to discuss a missed opportunity this season, but a celebration of how good this team was only a few years ago and hope for a return to that form in the near future. I am curious and interested to hear all of your thoughts on the matter

How well do you think that 2014 team would have done in this year's college football landscape? How much hope do you have for a return to that level of play in this program's near future? And with 2 regular season games (and a bowl game) still to go, would you call this season a success, a disappointment, or is the jury still out? What do you hope to see from this team for the remainder of the season?
Welcome back Yomanser!!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Paul can do it again. Hope he does in the next 2

I think we could have a really good team next year. This year feels a little bit like 1989, when the team started to finally gel and get stronger as the season wore on. I was excited about our prospects for 1990, but I certainly didn't imagine a national championship. I'm not imagining one next year, either, or anything approaching it, but I think we could have a very good year.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Just go watch the 2014 FSU and Miss St games... man, it's so smooooove.
But remember, let's not play revisionist history here.... 2014 was questionable after losing to Dook and UNC. And the lucky "injury" that discovered Synjin Davis as a bback monster.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
2014 early in the season was not a very good team. We got lucky to have pulled out a couple of those wins. 2018, the ball bounced just the other way. We all know we could easily be sitting with only one loss right now with just a few plays going the other way.

They could easily be sitting at 6-4 playing the 2018 teams. The 2014 team did have more upside with a better threat in the passing game

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Welcome back Yomanser!!
Thank you. I haven't been as active as I would have liked to have been these past few months, due to personal circumstances and focusing on my own coaching career, but hopefully I'll be around more often going forward

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
We wouldn't have been top 10, the CFP rankings aren't made by sane people. They have MissSt ranked with a losing record to P5 teams.

one of the toughest schedules in the country so far and through 11 games only 2 teams have scored more than 1 TD against them. That's insane. Michigan and Alabama have the second least, at 4 each. Their Defense is straight up elite with a claim at being #1, offense has a ways to go, but their QB is respected due to him breaking Tebows total yardage record this year. Won this week and next week should be a win for a 8-4 season and 5-4 record vs P5.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I like the topic. I've been saying this too for the past few years. There is a lot of absolutely bad football being played the past few years. And I'm probably underestimating how bad it's been too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
How do you guys think they would’ve fared? If you think the ‘14 jackets would have fared much better, why exactly?

I know the ‘18 jackets aren’t as good as the ‘14 jackets, but those two teams are a lot better now than their ‘14 counterparts. Is it more a matter of us losing ground or those two programs gaining ground?