College football referees and the issue

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone hates the Hokies, but on the last UK drive to beat them, in the d*mn open field, their OL pulled a VT player to the ground, and the result was a BIG run. The ref was standing right there looking at it. You can't tell me he missed it. The no-call was deliberate and for the SEC.

I saw that play - thought there would surely be a flag. You're right, it looked bad.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
... or lost. You can see it working both ways when you take off the gold-colored glasses. Remember the Jasper Thanks game?
I don’t disagree with that. Most just tend to remember the ones we lost. It’s all about a point swing from a couple calls. And no, I have no clue about the Jasper Thanks game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree with that. Most just tend to remember the ones we lost. It’s all about a point swing from a couple calls. And no, I have no clue about the Jasper Thanks game.

Jasper Sanks was a Georgia running back who was tackled on about the Tech 5-yard line with just seconds to go in the 1999 game with the score tied and the ball popped out, Tech recovering. Clearly to everyone except the officials, the ground caused the ball to come loose, but the officials awarded the ball to the Jackets who went on to win in overtime. The SEC refs simply didn't see it. Thereafter, the unfortunate Sanks was given the moniker Jasper "Thanks" by some Tech fans for his part in our win. Luckily for us, it was before the advent of official replay review.

You have never, ever heard such wailing about a bad call in all your life. After all the games Vince Dooley beat us with players that didn't even go to class, it was music to my ears. '98, '99, and 2000 were good times.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh I could if it’s between two relatively evenly matched teams. All it takes is a couple holding calls or a PI to swing 10 points. It would be too much to account for a 27 point spread or something like that. But in a tight game, easily.

Just think of how many tight games we could have won if not for 2-3 really untimely penalties or a whistle not stopping a play for forward progress against UGA, UGA stripping it, and running for a touchdown. That one play alone was a 10 point swing in a game that the refs made.
Phantom clip call on a kick-off return by Rocket Ishmael...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Football as a whole is a multi billion dollar business. Take a look at the Texas a&m replay when they played uga. The refs absolutely robbed Texas a&m on 4 occasions that changed the outcome of the game. No way was the sec going to let their sec championship get downplayed due to a two loss uga team .

I don’t gamble, so I don’t know.

But would not aTm beating a favored ugag have been a Giant boon to those betting and to the “corrupt” forces that many are saying control things?

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Jasper Sanks was a Georgia running back who was tackled on about the Tech 5-yard line with just seconds to go in the 1999 game with the score tied and the ball popped out, Tech recovering. Clearly to everyone except the officials, the ground caused the ball to come loose, but the officials awarded the ball to the Jackets who went on to win in overtime. The SEC refs simply didn't see it. Thereafter, the unfortunate Sanks was given the moniker Jasper "Thanks" by some Tech fans for his part in our win. Luckily for us, it was before the advent of official replay review.

You have never, ever heard such wailing about a bad call in all your life. After all the games Vince Dooley beat us with players that didn't even go to class, it was music to my ears. '98, '99, and 2000 were good times.
Sorry but I don’t know what you are talking about. I do remember a great win in ‘99 though.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don’t gamble, so I don’t know.

But would not aTm beating a favored ugag have been a Giant boon to those betting and to the “corrupt” forces that many are saying control things?

Wrong just have to not cover spread or cover spread.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck

That was a bit before my time. I did think of another good example though. The PI call against Miami when they played OSU in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think the refs have some improving to do on Oline holding and WR/DB hand holding/pushing (and I think the current rules are unfair to the D and need revision) but instant replay has proven to me how hard it is to get many plays right in real time, especially fumbles, sideline calls, and goal line issues. Refs seem to be doing a pretty good job overall but I hate it when their judgement calls affect the outcome of the game. Usually both teams are victims of the ref situation.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
This goes for GT games, as well as any NCAA football game. Does anywhere on this post, believe that games are often bought and paid for, but outside sources? Face it, college refs make $2,000 or so, per game. How difficult would it be for some mobster, to offer $100,000 to ensure a team won? How hard for a conference person to offer that money, so their conference wins? I've seen a lot of weird calls, that seemed to benefit the bigger teams. (Yes, SEC most often).

Just saying, there is a great speculation that this happens. How can you possibly defend against outside influence? The refs are smart enough to have a separate account, so their bank accounts can't be tracked.

Just curious, does anything else think that this happens? I sure do.

As a 33 year investigator for the Department of the Treasury, I can assure you that it is very easy to track money/cash in and out of a bank account in the scenario that you are referring to herein.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Refs make mistakes, just like everybody else.

I understand you're just repeating what he told you. But I must say, if your Dad's friend was an FBI agent in Las Vegas and he knows that 90% of the big games are fixed, it would seem to beg the question of why we haven't heard of more sports gambler busts. This would have been big news. Unless maybe the agents themselves were getting in on the action...
James Comey ring a bell? Ruby Ridge? Branch Davidians?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There used to be a saying: bet on the Bear. Bama always beat the spread. I don’t gamble, but I’ve heard that one all my life.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the Oregon/Wisconsin game and I think corruption is possible even in the coaching ranks. Oregon scored in its first possession with a balanced attack easily. Then they went to a run game up the middle with very little success the rest of the game, crazy! Sure they won with a bobbled punt and turnovers, but didn't cover. It just didn't make any sense to me.
Why rig a big game? The answer is obvious. Big games attract big money.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Oregon was the underdog and won outright. I think that counts as a cover.(y)

Last edited:

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
As a 33 year investigator for the Department of the Treasury, I can assure you that it is very easy to track money/cash in and out of a bank account in the scenario that you are referring to herein.

As one who had 47 years working for the US Citizenry in one form, fashion, status or another, IMNSHO people ignore Occam's Razor: "The simplest answer is often correct," and want to blame intricate conspiracies.

Truth be told, most of these can be attributed to the sheer incompetence of the offending parties.