College Football Recruiting

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is an interesting article on teams that need to step it up before signing day. L'ville, UNC and Miami are all mentioned here. There is also talk about GT but for a very different reason

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-have-work-to-do-before-national-signing-day/

Cover 3: Immediate success ahead
Not everyone will inherit a tough recruiting situation. Here are the top three jobs either freshly filled or currently open that can find immediate success on the trail.

1. Georgia Tech: Paul Johnson deserves a lot of credit for quietly putting together a wildly successful program at Georgia Tech. What he didn't do was recruit. He didn't care for it, didn't prioritize it. Given the way Georgia and the metro Atlanta area has exploded with football talent, this is a goldmine of a job from a recruiting perspective. With the right hire, perhaps a name like Clemson's Tony Elliott, Georgia Tech can really shock people with the talent it can accumulate even without beating Georgia and the big dogs of the SEC.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Same stuff different day. It will be interesting to see how/if we improve in recruiting, but as said many times, there are so many factors that go into how we recruit compared to other schools.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I have thought this as well. I think we over exaggerate our restrictions and problems and what we can’t do as a program.

15-18 year olds don’t think the way we do. We are set in our ways, teenagers like what sounds good as is at the moment. We just need to be in the moment at the right time to create a snowball effect in perception.

Not saying we’re Clemson but they made leaps and bound as far as perception goes. 6 years and many years before that they were viewed as what Miami or Wisconsin or Texas A&M is viewed today. Now they have undoubtedly been a top 2 program for the past 4 years from being a 15-30 program for many years.

For the most part I would say we’ve been stuck in a 30-45 program for the past couple of decades but I feel with the right guy he could get us to that 15-30 mark.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Same stuff different day. It will be interesting to see how/if we improve in recruiting, but as said many times, there are so many factors that go into how we recruit compared to other schools.

And many of the factors have been grossly exaggerated.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Do I think we can recruit a lot better on the signing day end?

Yes.

Do I think if we go for that will we have the same grad rate and APR?

Probably not. But all these people writing these articles only care about the signing day and not the longevity of the kids at the school. So I guess we can up our image by having more kids transfer out due to academics.

Animal02

Banned
I have thought this as well. I think we over exaggerate our restrictions and problems and what we can’t do as a program.

15-18 year olds don’t think the way we do. We are set in our ways, teenagers like what sounds good as is at the moment. We just need to be in the moment at the right time to create a snowball effect in perception.

Not saying we’re Clemson but they made leaps and bound as far as perception goes. 6 years and many years before that they were viewed as what Miami or Wisconsin or Texas A&M is viewed today. Now they have undoubtedly been a top 2 program for the past 4 years from being a 15-30 program for many years.

For the most part I would say we’ve been stuck in a 30-45 program for the past couple of decades but I feel with the right guy he could get us to that 15-30 mark.
18 y.o. kids is thinking about girls, having money, and probably video games. :eek:
Any 18 with a bit of talent in H.S. ball is going to have whispers in his ear about the NFL......or maybe even screaming.
So how do you get to the NFL.....
1st option is getting on one of the perennial challengers for the NC.....Bama, Clemp, OSU now the mutts
2nd option is going someplace they can play immediately to showcase their talents.
The ones with a little less talent and a little more common sense are not going to be looking down the road career wise, they will see 4-5 years of being a big man on campus, party atmosphere and how to get through will as little work as possible.
That leaves Tech to the ones that are forward thinkers......knowing even if they are part of the 2% that make the NFL, that it will not last long......i.e. the needles in the haystack.
A new coach is not going to change the outcome of the first three.....and without boatloads of money, will not make a dent in finding those needles.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Well we may can’t easily add majors but we could remove calculus from:Business administration/ management, Digital communication and media, international affairs, business economics, and research psychology majors. I believe that would go a long way.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Clemson’s football budget skyrocketed during that time. Their program nearly doubled donations alone, from $55 million in 2010 to more than $92 million in 2016.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were a season or two away from seeing it play out, but it's going to be an interesting litmus test of where GT actually stands with recruits now that CPJ is moving on and from all reports TStan is moving on from a "pure option" offense.

I think moreso the 2020 recruiting cycle as recruits will have a full year to get to know our staff and see their vision for our program. Also, the staff we hire will have a lot to do with it as well. I expect a guy like Tony Elliott or Geoff Collins would do well on the recruiting trail for GT.

One thing I find interesting. The outside assessment of GT has always been "Academics prevent GT from reaching its full potential, but the right coach could make GT a serious contender".

Guess we will all see soon enough.

Animal02

Banned
I thought we were a season or two away from seeing it play out, but it's going to be an interesting litmus test of where GT actually stands with recruits now that CPJ is moving on and from all reports TStan is moving on from a "pure option" offense.

I think moreso the 2020 recruiting cycle as recruits will have a full year to get to know our staff and see their vision for our program. Also, the staff we hire will have a lot to do with it as well. I expect a guy like Tony Elliott or Geoff Collins would do well on the recruiting trail for GT.

One thing I find interesting. The outside assessment of GT has always been "Academics prevent GT from reaching its full potential, but the right coach could make GT a serious contender".

Guess we will all see soon enough.
The right coach won't do squat if there are not the $$$$$$ backing him.

Animal02

Banned
Your point has been made in many threads. Thank God you'll never be our recruiting coordinator.
You think recruiting can be done in a money vacuum? If so you are delusional.
Money is the #1 issue. It doesn't matter if you had Kirby, Saban, and Myers on staff......if they don't have the $$$$ backing them to recruit......they will not do squat.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
You think recruiting can be done in a money vacuum? If so you are delusional.
Money is the #1 issue. It doesn't matter if you had Kirby, Saban, and Myers on staff......if they don't have the $$$$ backing them to recruit......they will not do squat.
I get it, man.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The right coach won't do squat if there are not the $$$$$$ backing him.

I agree. I think TStan is going to make it happen for the next coach...don't forget, we put together an endowment for some extra staff until the ACC network money kicks in.

Animal02

Banned
I agree. I think TStan is going to make it happen for the next coach...don't forget, we put together an endowment for some extra staff until the ACC network money kicks in.
I certainly hope so.......it is just certain posters think that a "recruiter" coach will walk in the door and magically things change.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Well we maybe can’t easily add majors but we could remove calculus from:Business administration/ management, Digital communication and media, international affairs, business economics, and research psychology majors. I believe that would go a long way.

I'll leave it to you engineers, business movers and shakers, and hard science folks to shoot it down, but to this humanities and social-sciences kinda guy, an outsider to Tech, it has long seemed to me that either of several alternatives -- intro to probability and stats, intro to behavioral economics, or an intro to logic and reasoning course -- would be a more relevant and possibly more interesting required course than calc for business management, comm and media, and public policy-oriented majors. Even if Georgia Tech didn't field Division 1/FBS sports teams, yes, that's my perception. And I also believe that a majority of Tech grads, understandably given their/your IQ and academic strengths, considerably underestimate how mathaphobic many Americans, including numerous intelligent high school students, are; many, upon trudging just through geometry and a couple of years of algebra, unfortunately are so turned off by the experience that they have no desire to tackle any math again -- or as little as possible.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is an interesting article on teams that need to step it up before signing day. L'ville, UNC and Miami are all mentioned here. There is also talk about GT but for a very different reason

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-have-work-to-do-before-national-signing-day/

Cover 3: Immediate success ahead
Not everyone will inherit a tough recruiting situation. Here are the top three jobs either freshly filled or currently open that can find immediate success on the trail.

1. Georgia Tech: Paul Johnson deserves a lot of credit for quietly putting together a wildly successful program at Georgia Tech. What he didn't do was recruit. He didn't care for it, didn't prioritize it. Given the way Georgia and the metro Atlanta area has exploded with football talent, this is a goldmine of a job from a recruiting perspective. With the right hire, perhaps a name like Clemson's Tony Elliott, Georgia Tech can really shock people with the talent it can accumulate even without beating Georgia and the big dogs of the SEC.

Bunch of BS. It’s fair to say CPJ didn’t recruit well enough. It’s complete idiocy to say he didn’t care about recruiting.