College football coaching rankings

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Deleted member 2897

From CBSSports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

GEORGIA TECH
Geoff Collins was only in charge at Temple for two seasons, but he did an excellent job maintaining what Matt Rhule started. The Owls went 15-10 under Collins, and that included an 11-5 record in the AAC. He inherits a tough gig, however, as Georgia Tech transitions from an option team. 2018 rank: n/a

Always one of the most overlooked, disrespected, underrated schools around. 2nd to last in the ACC. Idiots.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Honestly it's really hard to expect people on the national stage to know what is brewing here. If they have to look at all the P5 coaches in the land, they aren't going to do very thorough homework, and to the extent that they look beyond record, it can be really hard to recognize the difference between fluff and reality.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Honestly it's really hard to expect people on the national stage to know what is brewing here. If they have to look at all the P5 coaches in the land, they aren't going to do very thorough homework, and to the extent that they look beyond record, it can be really hard to recognize the difference between fluff and reality.
And it will be until we have a won/loss record that they can evaluate. I don't blame the sports press at all for this. We think we know "what is brewing here". We all have hopes about "what is brewing here". But we don't actually know "what is brewing here" and we won't for a year or two at least. I hope "what is brewing here" will be special for Tech or, at least, successful. But I don't know if it will be and, at this stage, neither does anyone else. Our coaches are good ones and the players are good as well, but we'll have to let this play out. And not get too upset at the press until it does.

We can always say "Told you so!" later.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And it will be until we have a won/loss record that they can evaluate. I don't blame the sports press at all for this. We think we know "what is brewing here". We all have hopes about "what is brewing here". But we don't actually know "what is brewing here" and we won't for a year or two at least. I hope "what is brewing here" will be special for Tech or, at least, successful. But I don't know if it will be and, at this stage, neither does anyone else. Our coaches are good ones and the players are good as well, but we'll have to let this play out. And not get too upset at the press until it does.

We can always say "Told you so!" later.

Except that when we are ready to say "Told you so!", no one will remember or even care about these silly rankings.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0190507-jad3kduegnhbfbogwnzj3xmdr4-story.html

For a counter-point, check this article that ranks Geoff Collins as the 3rd most likely to succeed among 27 new head coaches, behind only Dana Holgorsen at Houston and Hugh Freeze at Liberty.

3. Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech

Year 1 for the Yellow Jackets as Collins converts the roster from triple-option football is likely to be ugly. But look at the big picture: Georgia Tech's backyard has never been more fertile in terms of recruiting. Players are plentiful and coming from increasingly well-resourced high schools. Collins, a native of the area and twice on staff at Tech, has the potential to be a dynamic recruiter. Considering the state of ACC Coastal competition, Georgia Tech could be primed to shift the balance of power.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Deleted member 2897

In 2016 the same rankings placed Kirby Smart 46th. Unproven P5 head coaches always rank low in their first year at a P5 school. I expect we'll see a huge bump in the next year or two.

https://www.cbssports.com/g00/college-football/news/2016-power-five-college-football-coach-rankings-nos-65-26/?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.dv=4

Well they did finish unranked the year before, and lost 5 games in 2016. So I think it wasn't too bad a prediction.

Deleted member 2897

Well they did finish unranked the year before, and lost 5 games in 2016. So I think it wasn't too bad a prediction.

Also, “Smart” had never coached before. Hell, I’m not sure he coaches still after watching some of the stupid **** he does like that fake punt. They have top 3 recruiting classes every year but he’s done no differently than Mark Richt after the first 3 years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Also, “Smart” had never coached before. Hell, I’m not sure he coaches still after watching some of the stupid **** he does like that fake punt. They have top 3 recruiting classes every year but he’s done no differently than Mark Richt after the first 3 years.

Win totals similar to ours and we've been unranked for a couple of years now as well, and even though CGC has HC experience, it's only 2 years at a G5 school. On top of that, CGC doesn't inherit classes ranked very highly per recruiting sites. Like I said, the ranking is not unreasonable.

I do think, however, that it will climb significantly in a couple of years.

Deleted member 2897

Win totals similar to ours and we've been unranked for a couple of years now as well, and even though CGC has HC experience, it's only 2 years at a G5 school. On top of that, CGC doesn't inherit classes ranked very highly per recruiting sites. Like I said, the ranking is not unreasonable.

I do think, however, that it will climb significantly in a couple of years.

We have finished in that area 1 time in the last 25 years. So I'd say the odds are about 4% they'll be in the right ballpark.

Deleted member 2897

That's not how probability works.

OK, well then I'll just state based on historical data of past coaching changes and schemes (several times over), they will probably be way wrong. Of course, that also implies there is a chance they will be correct.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...., it can be really hard to recognize the difference between fluff and reality.

Much of one person considers reality another considers as fluff. Most are driven by what I think is fluff. So get off my lawn.

Agree entirely that we have to prove it on the field, till then all these writings are just to entertain the masses. I'm waiting to see what we have after week 1 @Clemson. It's going to be real interesting to see something different.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Beating USF will be an indication of a reasonable ecpectation for a decent season. We lost that game last year with a second year QB and experience. We will have a new QB, a new O, a new D. We have some play makers. Can the OC make calls that the QB can execute and can the D stop anyone. Preparation and play calling are what I want to see happen.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’d wait a little longer than that.
I don't think anyone expects us to beat Clemson, but it will be telling on a lot of fronts win or lose. SF in game two should be a nice matchup that we should win and we should mop the floor with the Citadel in game 3.