College Basketball NIL Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unlike some I never saw being in Atlanta as some huge advantage for NIL - to me that was always a mirage.
It isn't companies providing most of this money. It is rich alum and fans.
Large companies are not going to be big spenders in NIL because it does not make sense for them to. They usually have large footprints so paying a large sum of money to a college athlete doesn't make sense when it may turn on one fanbase but turn off another. So big national or international companies have to incentive to do NIL deals and aren't set up to approve them easily anyways.

Smaller, local companies would be more likely but still the big issue with the 'big money' deals that are getting most of the press is they have really nothing to do with NIL. They are simply pay for play schemes being run by rich fans and alumni. Mandel is correct that most of the NIL deals are not big money deals, but it is the big money deals that have nothing to do with NIL that are spending most of the money and getting all the coverage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Geez, I feel like GT fans are doing this wrong. Almost $50K that could have been an NIL deal for a backup power foward:

(BTW, that was sarcasm...kinda)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can you tell me what the NCAA NIL guidelines are?

Blank piece of paper? :confused:

Mark Dim-mert, President of the NCAA, your thoughts on this thing that's catastrophically changing your sports right under your nose ...

Confused Girl GIF

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know it is easy to dump on the NCAA and they should have come out with stronger guidelines, but some schools didn't want them to and the NCAA is not going to try to enforce any of it because they are afraid they will get taken to court and lose.

Basically the genie is out of the bottle and it isn't going back in. If the schools want to rein it in they will have to be the ones to do it.

There is an issue besides just the money aspect of NIL that is negatively impacting GT and likely one that isn't going to go away, that is transfer of credits. Kalu Ezikpe chose Cincy partially because he could get straight in. If he wanted to come to GT he was going to have to take a bunch of extra classes in order to transfer enough credits to be eligible. This same issue popped up with Wake last week where they were recruiting a PG from Charlotte and he was going to need extra classwork to get into Wake and be eligible so he chose a different school.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The dump on the NCAA was lacking the foresight to get in front of this concept in any meaningful way. No one thought the whole NIL 'thing' wasn't going to come in some form. They got caught with their pants fully down. Hence the wild west we're dealing with now.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
No way to blame the NCAA for this mess. This is the last thing they wanted. They are corrupt but they had a corner on the corruption. NIL opens the floodgates for all sorts of outside parties to swoosh in for a piece of the pie. The NCAA is now a mere bystander watching this circus just like we are.

What we are seeing is the opening of a previously legally sheltered industry to the forces of the open market. This is a laboratory exercise in un-bridled capitalism, which usually moves in the direction of consolidation for reasons of efficiency (the economy of scale).

Before the NIL, there was a lot of ink about the schism between the big budget (>$100Mil per annum) schools (the Factory Schools) and the majority that are scraping-by, and how their interests are hopelessly at odds with one another. The thought is that they are going to split sooner or later.

I think the fallout of the NIL will only hasten that split. Schools like GT are squarely in limbo between the two factions. Gt faces some tough decisions: Do they drop out of the ACC and the Power 5 rat race and downsize the GTAA? Do they stay in the Power 5 and ramp-up their efforts to compete on the level of the competition and drop all the out-dated Ivory Tower "We are Harvard Monday-Friday and FSU on Saturday" routine. The worst case scenario is that Gt persists in it's present "lost in limbo" trajectory where they compete against the big boys but don't engage in the same semi-pro strategy being employed by the competition. This will leave GT in perpetual dog mat status in the Power 5.

Hopefully ,when the schism finally results in an actual fracture of the NCAA, then GT will be forced to choose one side, unequivocally, or the other.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The dump on the NCAA was lacking the foresight to get in front of this concept in any meaningful way. No one thought the whole NIL 'thing' wasn't going to come in some form. They got caught with their pants fully down. Hence the wild west we're dealing with now.
The NCAA tried to fight the Ed O'Bannon suite but, rightfully, lost. There is no legal basis to control this as it deals with fundamental property rights. The NCAA had existed in a bubble of legal exemptions that no one cared about because there was not big money in it. Once the TV money started to roll in to create an untapped market, the legal exemptions would only naturally fall under legal challenge by those who want a piece of the big juicy pie.

ALL of this was inevitable. The only thing now that gets the thing under control is the break of NCAA members into the Semi-pro programs and the low budget programs. Then, the labor of the semi=pro programs can unionize and order can be restored via collective bargaining.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The NIL isn't the big issue to me.

The immediate transfer eligibility is.

Sure, the NIL deals will incentivize the best talent to go to who will pay the most, but there would still be an avenue for competing via development. As it stands now there's no reason to believe that someone who has a break out year at a smaller school (not even mid major but also smaller P5 schools) won't leave. Sure it happened before but now there isn't just the increased incentive of the NIL but the major deterrent, sitting out a year , was removed.

I doubt the NCAA wants to try and really hit on the NIL deal portion of it, but I think they'd have a much better chance reinstating the redshirt year for transfers in most situations as a condition tied to the athletic scholarship.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In prior years this kid was a lock for Duke or Kentucky. Maybe in another year all of the top 25 players (all of the one-and-dones) will go play semi-pro and the college game can return to college kids?

Maybe this is a very good development?

/
I think it will be a mix.
The ability for some schools to offer large NIL packages will make them attractive to some of the top HS players and keep them from going to the G League or other places.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s almost comical now. I’d day 80-90 percent of kids being recruited could give a shot about a 40 year decision in this era. Kids can’t make a 40 minute decision anymore. Hell most of the parents I talk to at aau Tournaments are in their mid/late 30’s They want their kid to get “the bag” now! They don’t want to have to work anymore. Everyone wants “theirs” and they want it now and the most they can get. I see it here in Flint and Detroit when I talk with coaches. Education is still big to a few but for most, the families are dependent on the kid to go to college free and go pro. Now that there’s an option to go to school free and make 6-7 figures, shiiiiit……. It’s an unfortunate snowball. From families trying to be taken care of, to coaches getting a piece, to the NCAA completely lacking any control over NIL. No one cares about a 40 year decision anymore. Unfortunately, alot of Bad things are gonna happen to these kids 5 years down the road if they’re not playing pro ball. They’re gonna be broke or owe the IRS money. Hopefully schools/coaches have some type of system set up for these kids to be educated on that stuff.

I’m all for kids getting paid but I fell like agents should be involved and college football and basketball are run like hockey and baseball.
Yep - you nailed @RyanS12 - It is now almost like a feeding frenzy or bidding war.

In order for GT to win on some of the recruits that many think we "should" be winning, we have to get that piece in order.

There's a lot of smart people that are GT grads, and I'm confident that we will be in the game sooner rather than later.

That said, I'll be shocked if we ever get onto the level (or anywhere close) to the LifeWallet budget ($10MM/year???)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Self enjoyed college BB more when a few of the well connected, and by well connected I mean schools that could control the money, had a bigger hand in recruiting: