College Basketball NIL Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Might be a stretch for this thread, but the theme is relevant. There will continue to be a pecking order for talent, whether it’s straight out of HS or via the transfer portal. Tshiebwe was a WVU transfer prior to last season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Might be a stretch for this thread, but the theme is relevant. There will continue to be a pecking order for talent, whether it’s straight out of HS or via the transfer portal. Tshiebwe was a WVU transfer prior to last season.

It will be interesting to see if his F1 Visa allows this type of "work."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unfortunately I thought Brown would be likely to stay in-state.

Miami gets the early big win with a commit from K-State guard Nijel Pack, 1st Team all-B12 this past season. Considered one of the top 5 players in the portal.
We are now up to 10 transfers into the ACC spread across 7 teams.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Georgia tech offers a 40-year decision!
That’s almost comical now. I’d day 80-90 percent of kids being recruited could give a shot about a 40 year decision in this era. Kids can’t make a 40 minute decision anymore. Hell most of the parents I talk to at aau Tournaments are in their mid/late 30’s They want their kid to get “the bag” now! They don’t want to have to work anymore. Everyone wants “theirs” and they want it now and the most they can get. I see it here in Flint and Detroit when I talk with coaches. Education is still big to a few but for most, the families are dependent on the kid to go to college free and go pro. Now that there’s an option to go to school free and make 6-7 figures, shiiiiit……. It’s an unfortunate snowball. From families trying to be taken care of, to coaches getting a piece, to the NCAA completely lacking any control over NIL. No one cares about a 40 year decision anymore. Unfortunately, alot of Bad things are gonna happen to these kids 5 years down the road if they’re not playing pro ball. They’re gonna be broke or owe the IRS money. Hopefully schools/coaches have some type of system set up for these kids to be educated on that stuff.

I’m all for kids getting paid but I fell like agents should be involved and college football and basketball are run like hockey and baseball.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This goes back to my argument in a previous thread. We can't compete with this, and we are going to be relegated to the bottom of the table in all revenue sports. If any of you GT big time Millionaires was to throw 800k at 6'0 KState guard transfer go ahead and be my guest.

I'm betting GT people won't do that, and thus MaTech won't as well. We will are have been left behind in competitiveness in revenue sports.

It's time to become what GT has always aspired too. A MIT/Cal Tech type of school. Drop sports down and focus 100% on the degree.

The UGA's, Clemson's, Alabama's are eating our lunch, and the gap will only widen in the future.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I had actually thought that GT, being in the center of Atlanta, the economic center of the entire SE region, would get on top of this NIL thing and make use of the natural advantages of being in the mix with and under the noses of all these businesses.

Instead, Gt has apparently let the SEC walk right in and take that biscuit while we continue to pitch recruits a line from the 1950s. It looked like Geoff Collins tried to move with the cheese, but it doesn't look, so far, like he can coach his way out of an open crackerbox.

Right now, if GT is in competition with any SEC school for a recruit, I think it is a foregone conclusion that we lose that battle 90% of the time. I feel like we are the Amish selling religion on a Wall Street street-corner.

RyanS12 is 100% on target with his observations. In an era dominated by striking social and economic instability, GT's "40 year" decision pitch might as well be trying to sell these kids and their families real estate on Saturn.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had actually thought that GT, being in the center of Atlanta, the economic center of the entire SE region, would get on top of this NIL thing and make use of the natural advantages of being in the mix with and under the noses of all these businesses.

Instead, Gt has apparently let the SEC walk right in and take that biscuit while we continue to pitch recruits a line from the 1950s. It looked like Geoff Collins tried to move with the cheese, but it doesn't look, so far, like he can coach his way out of an open crackerbox.

Right now, if GT is in competition with any SEC school for a recruit, I think it is a foregone conclusion that we lose that battle 90% of the time. I feel like we are the Amish selling religion on a Wall Street street-corner.

RyanS12 is 100% on target with his observations. In an era dominated by striking social and economic instability, GT's "40 year" decision pitch might as well be trying to sell these kids and their families real estate on Saturn.
I’m with you on the ATL thing. I really thought when this whole NIL thing was allowed that GT would have a lot of success with companies and alum and fans in the city. Unfortunately, we’ve sat back, and took a wait and see approach to it and it’s hurting us. Another thing it shows is how little weight our name holds or interest we have from those types within the city and state. I know we have groups working to set stuff up but we are miles behind most schools. I’m sure Collins record isn’t helping much on the football side and Pastner, minus last year has been struggling to get things stable, has a lot of people uneasy about dumping money into programs that even the school itself don’t seem to care about. We have failed miserably as an inner city school, in one of the most influential cities in the country, to promote and fund and help the biggest money making avenues a university has succeed within this new era of college athletics. It’s like we’re content with being mediocre…..

Sorry. This should be in the NIL thread. Not here. I apologize for derailing this thread.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry. This should be in the NIL thread. Not here. I apologize for derailing this thread.
Good idea. Created a thread for this. I am guilty too.

I would legit buy real estate on Saturn.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you on the ATL thing. I really thought when this whole NIL thing was allowed that GT would have a lot of success with companies and alum and fans in the city. Unfortunately, we’ve sat back, and took a wait and see approach to it and it’s hurting us. Another thing it shows is how little weight our name holds or interest we have from those types within the city and state. I know we have groups working to set stuff up but we are miles behind most schools. I’m sure Collins record isn’t helping much on the football side and Pastner, minus last year has been struggling to get things stable, has a lot of people uneasy about dumping money into programs that even the school itself don’t seem to care about. We have failed miserably as an inner city school, in one of the most influential cities in the country, to promote and fund and help the biggest money making avenues a university has succeed within this new era of college athletics. It’s like we’re content with being mediocre…..

GT has been a step (or two) behind for a while. Our decision makers are just really bad at seeing which way the wind is blowing and being proactive. GT still does not realize what's best for GT is looking out for our own interest, NOT the interest of the group (the ACC).

The best illustration of how bad GT is with reading the wind is social media. I think most of our fanbase realized how big of an impact social media would have on recruiting and creating narrative...except those in charge of putting together a social media team for GT. Even though our football team was running roughshod through our opponents with Paul Johnson's offense, our opponents were running roughshod with through GT with their negative recruiting. Our own head coach at the time was own record calling social media silly and a waste of time. Give Geoff Collins and TStan credit, they knew turning the narrative was important and their social media response was far better than what we were putting out previously. Unfortunately, Collins performance on the field has negated any positives from social media.

What's about to be an even bigger gaffe by GT than social media is the B1G. Specifically, turning them down during the last round of expansion:

Close followers of the business of college sports know that the Big Ten is about to secure a Big Payday. The league is in the process of negotiating new TV contracts, and industry projections anticipate the league’s distributions could grow to close to $100 million, per school, per year, by the end of the decade.

But that isn’t the only payday for Big Ten institutions.

Tucked away in Fox’s annual report from 2021 was a note that the network had increased “its ownership interest” in the Big Ten Network to approximately 61%. Sources at both Big Ten institutions and Fox confirmed to Extra Points that the Big Ten presidents and chancellors exercised a put clause in year four of a five-year time frame that was part of their original contract with Fox and allowed the league to sell part of its interest back to their network partner.

The B1G media contract is already the richest collegiate media contract in the nation. It's about to get even bigger. Our mistake of not joining B1G has already cost us hundreds of millions. Those hundreds of millions will be kids play when the new media contract takes affect...it could be a mistake by GT in the BILLIONS. Yet our fans still want to complain about taking plane rides to Ann Arbor/Columbus/Chicago/etc to watch GT play. Our fans don't travel well anyhow, what difference does it make versus the vast sums of money we've lost by staying in the ACC. Hope that 2 hour car ride to whatever secondary market to watch GT play is worth GT losing hundreds of millions...and now possibly BILLIONS.

So what does this have to do with NIL? This:

Conferences as well as their member schools will all start cooperating with each other to maximize NIL deals for the member institutions and SAs. Conferences like the SEC and B1G will command astounding NIL deals for their SAs as they will have the best teams and players.

NIL is just in its infancy. There are enormous sums to be made by conferences and SAs...and we haven't even scratched the surface. Right now, all I see is GT floundering in the wind as the college game is changing beneath our feet. GT may end up being a doormat for other P5 schools, but we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

Hopefully, B1G will want to expand again...and GT will be part of that equation. One thing that should scare us is if you read between the lines a school's location isn't important in this age of streaming. GT being in the Atlanta market isn't that important. It's more about eyeballs. GT does not command a lot of viewers, and we may just be left out in the cold the next go around because of that.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
GT has been a step (or two) behind for a while. Our decision makers are just really bad at seeing which way the wind is blowing and being proactive. GT still does not realize what's best for GT is looking out for our own interest, NOT the interest of the group (the ACC).

The best illustration of how bad GT is with reading the wind is social media. I think most of our fanbase realized how big of an impact social media would have on recruiting and creating narrative...except those in charge of putting together a social media team for GT. Even though our football team was running roughshod through our opponents with Paul Johnson's offense, our opponents were running roughshod with through GT with their negative recruiting. Our own head coach at the time was own record calling social media silly and a waste of time. Give Geoff Collins and TStan credit, they knew turning the narrative was important and their social media response was far better than what we were putting out previously. Unfortunately, Collins performance on the field has negated any positives from social media.

What's about to be an even bigger gaffe by GT than social media is the B1G. Specifically, turning them down during the last round of expansion:

Close followers of the business of college sports know that the Big Ten is about to secure a Big Payday. The league is in the process of negotiating new TV contracts, and industry projections anticipate the league’s distributions could grow to close to $100 million, per school, per year, by the end of the decade.

But that isn’t the only payday for Big Ten institutions.

Tucked away in Fox’s annual report from 2021 was a note that the network had increased “its ownership interest” in the Big Ten Network to approximately 61%. Sources at both Big Ten institutions and Fox confirmed to Extra Points that the Big Ten presidents and chancellors exercised a put clause in year four of a five-year time frame that was part of their original contract with Fox and allowed the league to sell part of its interest back to their network partner.

The B1G media contract is already the richest collegiate media contract in the nation. It's about to get even bigger. Our mistake of not joining B1G has already cost us hundreds of millions. Those hundreds of millions will be kids play when the new media contract takes affect...it could be a mistake by GT in the BILLIONS. Yet our fans still want to complain about taking plane rides to Ann Arbor/Columbus/Chicago/etc to watch GT play. Our fans don't travel well anyhow, what difference does it make versus the vast sums of money we've lost by staying in the ACC. Hope that 2 hour car ride to whatever secondary market to watch GT play is worth GT losing hundreds of millions...and now possibly BILLIONS.

So what does this have to do with NIL? This:

Conferences as well as their member schools will all start cooperating with each other to maximize NIL deals for the member institutions and SAs. Conferences like the SEC and B1G will command astounding NIL deals for their SAs as they will have the best teams and players.

NIL is just in its infancy. There are enormous sums to be made by conferences and SAs...and we haven't even scratched the surface. Right now, all I see is GT floundering in the wind as the college game is changing beneath our feet. GT may end up being a doormat for other P5 schools, but we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

Hopefully, B1G will want to expand again...and GT will be part of that equation. One thing that should scare us is if you read between the lines a school's location isn't important in this age of streaming. GT being in the Atlanta market isn't that important. It's more about eyeballs. GT does not command a lot of viewers, and we may just be left out in the cold the next go around because of that.

Maybe it’s my personal selfish reasons since I live in MI but I wish like hell we bit the bullet and ate the buyout to join the B10 in 2012. The amount of money we would’ve made by now off the B10 network and exposure in the region would be beneficial at this point. Everyone points at Maryland and their lack of success but money wise, I’m sure they’re in a helluva better spot we are in….. I’d take that money and our location and find a way to caption it. But our piss poor leadership and inability to see the big picture got in the way…. Everyone wants to yell and scream what about tradition and rivalries?!?! At this point, those are pretty much irrelevant anymore.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Brennan hit the nail on the head. Bacot, Love, Davis, Black are all coming back and will make mid to high 6 figures. None of them will likely ever play in the NBA, so this is a way for them to get a great payday while delaying their lives in the low Euro leagues.

NIL is changing college sports. Whether you like it or hate it (I'm in the latter camp), it's here to stay and the genie isn't going back in the bottle. Schools with alums willing to shell out $400k per year for a player will dominate recruiting, both HS & portal. Will be interested to see how long it takes some of the alums to realize there is no benefit to them or their business and it's just a gift to a kid.