Cochran playing for GT in 2021 season

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Williams is still young though, and had several procedure penalties last year. Quinney will be a 6th year senior, and he and Johnson were the 2 best linemen last year. If Williams beats Quinney out of the RT spot it would come as a shock to me. The right side of the line was obviously much weaker than the left side.
While true, Williams had 7 penalties this season (most on the offense), Quinney and Minihan were right behind him with 6 each. Johnson had 4. Not sure the number of procedural versus holding though.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe I read some time ago that Cochran's best position at the next level was at guard. I agree, though, he is a very good tackle.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
While true, Williams had 7 penalties this season (most on the offense), Quinney and Minihan were right behind him with 6 each. Johnson had 4. Not sure the number of procedural versus holding though.
Quinney also played virtually every offensive snap this year, while Williams missed a significant number of snaps. I’m not saying Williams isn’t or won’t be a good player. He is, and he will be. But he’s still young, and with Cochran coming back I don’t believe he will be good enough to beat out Cochran, Johnson, or Quinney for a spot at LT, LG, or RT. Unless he can start at RG or C I don’t see him being better than the other guys.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Quinney also played virtually every offensive snap this year, while Williams missed a significant number of snaps. I’m not saying Williams isn’t or won’t be a good player. He is, and he will be. But he’s still young, and with Cochran coming back I don’t believe he will be good enough to beat out Cochran, Johnson, or Quinney for a spot at LT, LG, or RT. Unless he can start at RG or C I don’t see him being better than the other guys.
I believe that one of our coaches said Williams has NFL potential. I don't recall that being said about any of the other OL.

slugboy

Staff member
Sometimes, a holding call is like a pass interference—the smart play for a lineman. Holding beats a strip sack any day of the week. I saw at least one of those for Quinney recently.

slugboy

Staff member
I promise you, if Cochran is healthy, he's starting next season:

123. GEORGIA TECH

True freshman quarterback Jeff Sims invites in his fair share of pressure when he shouldn’t, but the offensive line as a whole is doing him no favors. Even when the Yellow Jackets have faced a subpar ACC pass-rush this season, the offensive line has put together a poor performance. All five linemen with at least 100 snaps this season have allowed double-digit pressures, and every single one has a PFF grade below 55.0.
On one hand, Key is up for the Broyles award for his OL + Asst HC coaching this year. On the other, PFF gives our OL less than a 55 average grade. That seems contradictory

(not picking on you, Techster. Just seems odd the PFF has a low opinion of our performance while coaches think Key has done well)

Last edited:

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Williams was a true freshman with limited camp. Expect a huge jump to his sophomore year. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t start. Quinney is maxed out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On one hand, Key is up for the Broyles award for his OL + Asst HC coaching this year. On the other, PFF gives our OL less than a 55 average grade. That seems contradictory

(not picking on you, Techster. Just seems odd the PFF has a low opinion of our performance while coaches think Key has done well)

I think this is at the heart of the question when us casual fans start the conversation about evaluating coaches. I think we as fans tend to use the "eyeball test" and the W/L records to make our determinations. The other coaches I think look at it from the standpoint of "did he do as much as he could with what he had?". I think those guys know the answer to that question much,much better than we do.

I reflect back to former jobs I had. I have taken over places or positions that were well run and managed before I got there. And some that were the exact opposite. If I had been judged solely on the bottom line, I would have gotten "better grades" for the positions where it was actually the easiest and "worse grades" in spots where I actually made the most improvements/worked harder/faced greater challenges. Management is a lot like coaching - having a good team makes you a better coach/manager. I agree that is the responsibility of both to upgrade personnel over time. You don't stand pat there.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Very good college OT but G is his future in the NFL. This is an important piece of the trench puzzle for us on the O-line. He's very good at sealing the edge and is quick with his get off step. Only thing he needs refining is his pad level/leverage at times, but that's very coachable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I get what you're saying, but PFF is a well respected service. They do in depth analysis of each player and each game. They didn't say our OL as a UNIT rated 55, they said no player on the OL with 100+ snaps rated better than 55. PFF was actually very specific as to why most of our guys rated so low: Even when the Yellow Jackets have faced a subpar ACC pass-rush this season, the offensive line has put together a poor performance. All five linemen with at least 100 snaps this season have allowed double-digit pressures, and every single one has a PFF grade below 55.0.

Key's nomination seems to be more for "year over year" improvement and how the OL is the sum of its parts rather than for any outstanding performance of individuals...though I do believe one of our OL did win OL of the a couple of times by the ACC.

GT's announcement of the award points this out: As offensive line coach, he was charged with overseeing the drastic transformation of Georgia Tech’s offensive front from one built to block for the Yellow Jackets’ previous option-based scheme to a pro-style, spread attack. Although still in the early stages of the transformation, Tech is averaging nearly 10 points, 50 rushing yards and 115 total yards more than it did a season ago. The Yellow Jackets rank fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing (201.1 ypg) and fifth in fewest sacks allowed (2.2 pg) this season.

Now, would I say we're the 123rd ranked OL? I don't know because I only watch our team play, but I do know our offense line is vastly improved from last year. Last year's OL is probably the worst OL unit I've seen since I started watching football, so pretty much anything was an improvement. I don't want to minimize the Broyles nomination because Key is widely regarded as one of the best OL coaches, but like most awards, there's a lot of politics involved. There are 56 nominees in the initial round.

BTW...for those that worried about our rushing game after CPJ, 200+ yards a game is pretty stout.

Last edited:

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The oline improved greatly in run blocking. Last year our running game consisted of Mason breaking tackles in the backfield and making something out of nothing. This year our rbs actually had holes to run through. The oline improved slightly in pass protection although still very poor. This is the biggest area of opportunity in my opinion. If we can improve in this area our offense can take another big jump next year. Hopefully with a normal spring and the athletes we are adding on the defensive front giving the oline a better look we will see improvement next year.