Coastal Race Going Into Week 12

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Satisfied with the season? I don't think I would ever be satisfied with the season no matter how good it went. That is not the point anyway. I am pleased with the progress we are making as a team, but I am far from satisfied. Atomic, I don't mind your input at all. I would probably give you a little more credence if you would at least acknowledge that the bulk of your pessimistic predictions have not come true so far. At every step you have predicted the worst. At some point you need to take a step back and at least admit that you have underestimated the program somewhat. I am excited for the upcoming games, approaching them without the slightest trepidation. I do not fear losing in the least bit. It may happen. It may not. I believe fully in my heart we will be VERY competitive. We shall see.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Atomic Jacket -
Didn't say you were trolling, just said if they think you are don't egg it on.

I want folks to voice there opinion, especially if it leads to good give and take. Hopefully I, we, can all learn something including that over viewpoints have merit.

Remember that what you type might not be taken in the tone you intended. It's okay to be pessimistic, but it also doesn't hurt to say "damn, CPJ and GT have done better this year than I thought".

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I'm not Paul. I can and did use it. I always love it when someone tells me what I can't do! He has a valid point concerning how a service rates one player as the #21 guard prospect and there is no way of knowing the difference from #35 . Always love his thoughts on the experts that have never coached and if they were good they would have their on team. Not very sure you are very good at this evaluation game either.
Then you have to believe Paul Johnson is either clueless about the quality of our recruits as compared to other teams, or that he is flat out lying. You can't have it both ways.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It is not trolling to simply have an unpopular opinion. If everyone agreed with each other, what would be the point in discussing anything? I actually do encourage people who disagree with me but do not want to hear any opinions but their own, to please put me on ignore. Not for trolling, but simply because they want to live in an echo chamber. That's fine. Enjoy yourself. I actively disagree, which means when I see something I disagree with, I do not stand idly by. I speak up. Lots of people don't like that, and constantly threaten to put me on ignore. To be honest, I wish they would just go ahead and be done with it, because there's nothing more boring than hearing people talk about how they're going to put me on ignore. I'd rather be able to skip past that and read posts that genuinely challenge my point of view. Guys, I'm here to learn other's opinions as well as give my own. I'm a working man and my time is limited. Better to not have to push through the dross.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Then you have to believe Paul Johnson is either clueless about the quality of our recruits as compared to other teams, or that he is flat out lying. You can't have it both ways.

Er, you can have it both ways:

Johnson has said several times we need in his own words "more 1-8 type" recruits. So clearly he acknowledges we need better players, and particularly more elite players.

As to rankings it has been shown that there is no difference between 2 & 3 star talent so yeah a lot of the rankings are dumb. The top guys stick out then there is a jumble. Has been rehashed a million times on several boards.

Main thing is what are we doing to try and get better players?

At last GTAA has given Johnson some recruiting staff after years of his asking for it. Carvel at the AJC said he firmly believes the current class is Johnsons best AND that the reason why is the recruiting staff....even though it is less than half the typical SEC staff. Plus hires of McCollum, Roof, & Pelton to help recruiting have been made.

Clearly it seems we are trying very hard to improve recruiting. Thank god for Bobinski

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again thanks for telling me what I must believe. I don't. I do believe you have a bumble bee up your. $&@"; when it comes to Paul . Sorry you can't overcome the hate to enjoy what is going on.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Clemson's D has been impressive, imo. They are #2 in yds/carry rush defense, allowing 2.67 yds/carry on average for the season. However, they held FSU and WF (and SC St) to less than 1/2 yd/carry.

U[sic]Ga gassed them for 8 yds/carry in the first game, but after that no team has gained more than 3.33 ypc. They've held every team besides U[sic]Ga to less than 120 yds rushing. That's insane, imo. That being said, georgie has been averaging only slightly better than GT in ypc offense, so we might be able to break thru against them too.

I'm excited by what our offense has shown itself capable of doing, and we'll get to test it against the best this weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good thing we only need 3.33 yards per carry.

CPJ goes for it on fourth when we are close .......

I have no doubt that CPJ will have the game plan which gives us the best chance for success. But if we don't block and execute and the OL is blown up, then scheme won't matter...... I think we'll take what is given and expect that to be the passing game more than usual.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Lee Corso in a radio interview just said of all the coastal teams, GT is the team FSU should be most scared of winning.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Er, you can have it both ways:

Johnson has said several times we need in his own words "more 1-8 type" recruits. So clearly he acknowledges we need better players, and particularly more elite players.

As to rankings it has been shown that there is no difference between 2 & 3 star talent so yeah a lot of the rankings are dumb. The top guys stick out then there is a jumble. Has been rehashed a million times on several boards.

Main thing is what are we doing to try and get better players?

At last GTAA has given Johnson some recruiting staff after years of his asking for it. Carvel at the AJC said he firmly believes the current class is Johnsons best AND that the reason why is the recruiting staff....even though it is less than half the typical SEC staff. Plus hires of McCollum, Roof, & Pelton to help recruiting have been made.

Clearly it seems we are trying very hard to improve recruiting. Thank god for Bobinski

If Johnson had been aware that recruiting was not good enough, why is the GTAA only now giving Johnson the "recruiting staff" he's asking for? These are problems that any coach should recognize early on and have acted on. If the GTAA is only now giving him what he needs, then obviously he wasn't doing his job early on to convince the GTAA what he needed. Guys, we're talking what, 7 years now?

But I'm not going to concede yet that Johnson has admitted recruiting has not been good enough. Where is a quote to this effect? If it's out there, I haven't seen it. All I've seen is praise for the recruiting classes and words to the effect that we've been getting what we needed every year.

Ramblinwreck1991

Georgia Tech Fan
If Johnson had been aware that recruiting was not good enough, why is the GTAA only now giving Johnson the "recruiting staff" he's asking for? These are problems that any coach should recognize early on and have acted on. If the GTAA is only now giving him what he needs, then obviously he wasn't doing his job early on to convince the GTAA what he needed. Guys, we're talking what, 7 years now?

But I'm not going to concede yet that Johnson has admitted recruiting has not been good enough. Where is a quote to this effect? If it's out there, I haven't seen it. All I've seen is praise for the recruiting classes and words to the effect that we've been getting what we needed every year.

Wake up Atomic. You act like Georgia Tech has such a winning tradition. As a former player, I am glad to see Paul Johnson as our coach. He is the second all time winningest coach in Tech history by percentage. His offense is ranked # 1 in 12 categories in ACC. You talk about recruiting, do you understand you can't get the same kids that basically everyone else can get in the south. The academic standard and selection of majors is definitely an obstacle. Paul Johnson can flat out coach. If you want to complain about recruiting, why don't you donate some money so that he can hire a recruiting staff of about 8 like most teams have. He was not given this sooner because the gtaa did not want to pay any money and fund it. If Georgia Tech loses next two games, they have far succeeded anyone's expectations and they return QB and entire line but one. I will be there Saturday in section 104 cheering hard!

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

$$$$$

There is your answer. The extra recruiting staff costs not only their salaries, but the funding for their work as well. Under DRad, the GTAA was focused primarily on infrastructure. We built an indoor practice facility, the McCamish Pavilion, started work on the weight room. While these things will help us long term in recruiting, however, they aren't as good as having "boots on the ground." It's been documented that the GTAA has been tight with finances recently. It seems that we are still paying millions for two former coaches. While I am sure that CPJ had the issues identified, you truly can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

I find it telling that your premise starts with the assumption of CPJ's incompetence. Many coaches never make it to this level, much less sustain success like CPJ has.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Atomic no one cares for your opinion. You are correct 6.78325866421 percent of the time

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If it looks like a troll, smells like a troll, and sounds like a troll....
Sorry atomic you are either a first rate troll or simply blinded by your hate of CPJ. A hate which seemingly colors every opinion you express about our program. I can ignore ignorant posts just fine without using that button. Well...if I go to chat during the game I will use it then. You sure as hell troll chat.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........As a former player, I am glad to see Paul Johnson as our coach. He is the second all time winningest coach in Tech history by percentage. ......

Glad to have former players on the board who know what they are talking about!!

I agree with the sentiment about CPJ (Atomic doesn't bother me) and I had a thread to try and put CPJ into perspective. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-comparing-teams-under-different-coaches.2501/

Anyway, CPJ has by my records the fourth best GT all time winning percentage - which is pretty good. Heisman was the best at 74% (108-29-7), Dodd was next at 72% (165-64-8), O'Leary next at 64% (53-30) and CPJ next at 62% (55-34). FWIW, the 62% includes the 8-2 start this year; CPJ teams were 59% through the end of last year. If CPJ can overtake O'Leary, that will be pretty impressive!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Glad to have former players on the board who know what they are talking about!!

I agree with the sentiment about CPJ (Atomic doesn't bother me) and I had a thread to try and put CPJ into perspective. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-comparing-teams-under-different-coaches.2501/

Anyway, CPJ has by my records the fourth best GT all time winning percentage - which is pretty good. Heisman was the best at 74% (108-29-7), Dodd was next at 72% (165-64-8), O'Leary next at 64% (53-30) and CPJ next at 62% (55-34). FWIW, the 62% includes the 8-2 start this year; CPJ teams were 59% through the end of last year. If CPJ can overtake O'Leary, that will be pretty impressive!

I think CPJ will supersede GOL. This team and the future are trending upward quite nicely imo.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Wake up Atomic. You act like Georgia Tech has such a winning tradition. As a former player, I am glad to see Paul Johnson as our coach. He is the second all time winningest coach in Tech history by percentage. His offense is ranked # 1 in 12 categories in ACC. You talk about recruiting, do you understand you can't get the same kids that basically everyone else can get in the south. The academic standard and selection of majors is definitely an obstacle. Paul Johnson can flat out coach. If you want to complain about recruiting, why don't you donate some money so that he can hire a recruiting staff of about 8 like most teams have. He was not given this sooner because the gtaa did not want to pay any money and fund it. If Georgia Tech loses next two games, they have far succeeded anyone's expectations and they return QB and entire line but one. I will be there Saturday in section 104 cheering hard!

I'm not complaining about recruiting. Paul Johnson has stated that our recruiting classes have been fine, that the star-rating system is meaningless, and that they have been getting the players they need. I take him at his word. Anything otherwise would be tantamount to calling him a rank liar.

Now. Stipulating that our recruiting to date has been good, the question has to be asked, why after 7 years, would an 8-win season (with a loss to Clemson) and 6 consecutive losses to Georgia be considered a successful season?