Coaching

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Have been rather busy.....and have not noticed any announced changes in the GT Pitching coach,

While I understand not firing Hall (whether I agree on not is another thing), I truly would NOT understand not changing pitching coaches.

Did I miss an announcement? Is it normal for a change to drag on into the CWS? Or is that when the interviews and changes actually take place?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Have been rather busy.....and have not noticed any announced changes in the GT Pitching coach,

While I understand not firing Hall (whether I agree on not is another thing), I truly would NOT understand not changing pitching coaches.

Did I miss an announcement? Is it normal for a change to drag on into the CWS? Or is that when the interviews and changes actually take place?
To my knowledge, you have not missed anything...

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I was watching the FSU-LSU game last night and the on air analyst, a former big league pitcher, was pointing out the details that the pitching coach gives to concealing the pitch that is coming, particularly the movement of the glove while the pitcher is fixing his grip for the pitch. I sat there wondering if our pitchers and hitters are aware of the tip off that such movement give when not concealed. Also, there was discussion of how much work FSU puts on recognizing the strike zone by their batters. Sometimes our guys look like they are clueless of the strike zone at mid season.

We don't win unless we with have a few major leaguers on the field. That is only way Hall can win games. Lack of coaching ability in baseball can be overlooked when talent is on the field. Now we don't have major league talent and coaching is the same. Warts are visible.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was watching the FSU-LSU game last night and the on air analyst, a former big league pitcher, was pointing out the details that the pitching coach gives to concealing the pitch that is coming, particularly the movement of the glove while the pitcher is fixing his grip for the pitch. I sat there wondering if our pitchers and hitters are aware of the tip off that such movement give when not concealed. Also, there was discussion of how much work FSU puts on recognizing the strike zone by their batters. Sometimes our guys look like they are clueless of the strike zone at mid season.
I definitely love the nuances of baseball. Therefore, any discussion such as this... regarding tipping pitches (or similar) is right down my ally.

I'd love to hear from more schooled folks on pitching & hitting. But from my perspective watching Tech's last few seasons.... any issue with tipping off pitches is a much lower on the "our problems" spectrum.

Over-simplifying...
Decent pitchers - throw 1st pitch strikes & generally stay ahead in counts... minimize opponents' free baserunners
Good pitchers - locate pitches depending on tendency of batter or situations (i.e. force a ground ball to a defensive shift)
Great/Dominant pitchers - combine both above with not tipping pitches & generally keep batters guessing

Using those criteria....
At Ga Tech/college I'd be happy with a staff full of decent & a few good pitchers Any great pitchers would be gravy.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think our guys are tipping pitches...in fact, most of the time our pitchers probably had no idea what they were throwing.

I wonder if our coaches ever talked to our guys about opposing pitchers and then tipping pitches. Probably not, because that would actually require in depth scouting from our staff.

I still think it's weird that nothing has come out publicly about our hitting coach stepping away (I had heard this from a player's dad and I think someone else had mentioned it either here or on one of the other sites). I haven't heard anything about any other coaching changes.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't think our guys are tipping pitches...in fact, most of the time our pitchers probably had no idea what they were throwing.

I wonder if our coaches ever talked to our guys about opposing pitchers and then tipping pitches. Probably not, because that would actually require in depth scouting from our staff.

I still think it's weird that nothing has come out publicly about our hitting coach stepping away (I had heard this from a player's dad and I think someone else had mentioned it either here or on one of the other sites). I haven't heard anything about any other coaching changes.
I still think they were referring tom Nickeos, out volunteer coach. He left to take a paid position at another school, and I believe he worked with hitting, along with Prince.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think they were referring tom Nickeos, out volunteer coach. He left to take a paid position at another school, and I believe he worked with hitting, along with Prince.
The parent I spoke with said Prince resigned after the last game. Said he told the team he has been thinking about it for a while and needs a break away for right now. I haven't spoken with that parent for a couple of weeks, so don't have anything to add to what I was told then.

Maybe Nickeas will get that spot and that's why not much has been publicized about it?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The parent I spoke with said Prince resigned after the last game. Said he told the team he has been thinking about it for a while and needs a break away for right now. I haven't spoken with that parent for a couple of weeks, so don't have anything to add to what I was told then.

Maybe Nickeas will get that spot and that's why not much has been publicized about it?
Appears it is official from Kendall Rogers with D1 Baseball--

.@GTBaseball promoted Mike Nickeas to hitting coach, #Jackets moving Jason Howell to recruiting coordinator as well. Eric Patterson to Vol.

I think Patterson was a volunteer asst training coach this past season, so this move will put him in an official coaching position (even though it's still volunteer).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
“Eric Patterson, also a graduate of Tech, and a member of the GT Hall of Fame will assume the volunteer position,” continued Hall. “He and Mike were teammates on the 2002 CWS team and like Mike, he played in the MLB with four organizations. Eric will use his MLB experience to coach our infielders, base runners and assist Mike with our hitters.”

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We don't win unless we with have a few major leaguers on the field. That is only way Hall can win games. Lack of coaching ability in baseball can be overlooked when talent is on the field. Now we don't have major league talent and coaching is the same. Warts are visible.
All of the teams that make the CWS are loaded with pitching and have future major league players on the field.

Kel Johnson is the biggest indictment of this coaching class. He was a top 100 player bound to Tech for no more than two seasons because of his immense talents. He isn't anymore. His draft stock has plummeted and he is no better at baseball today than when he arrived at Tech. Danny did not build the Tech baseball program he was given a monster program to run and now he's running it into the ground.