Coaching Staff Transition Question

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious about what process the coaches go through when bringing in an almost completely new staff. How do they evaluate players before Spring ball and determine strengths and weaknesses of the players. Do they turn to guys like Tevin who have been around the program? Have they ever met with CPJ to discuss those type of things, or do they just wait until practice to figure all that out?

With our unique roster, it seems like it would be beneficial to have a good idea of positions going into the Spring so we can quickly install the new schemes, and I don't think watching game tape gives anyone a full story of what the players can do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Evaluate them with their own eyes. That’s what they get paid to do, not make decisions based on others opinions.

That's pretty much what CGC said. Coaches will watch film of players, and also watch them during workouts to see what kind of intangibles the kids bring to the team. They will decide how each player fits the new schemes, and whether or not kids have the potential to play other spots based on their skillset and athletic traits.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I believe that while film study is helpful, it’s focused only on those players that played on the field in games last year.

So film study is helpful to a degree. I believe most of the decisions will be made from old-fashioned eyeballing of what the coaches see during spring and fall practices.