Coaching Staff Given Extentions thru 2025

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a die hard baseball fan and follow this message board religiously but this is the first time I dared read this thread because I knew it would bring the trolls out. There are posters on this thread that never contribute anything positive to the baseball board and only pop out of their trailer when they sense an opportunity to complain and/or find something negative to say. Guys like Fitted, Navy, Mister Olkerholm and several others are often providing us with meaningful tidbits and information that I find interesting to read. As a "true" Tech fan that's what I want to read. To me there is nothing of value to these trolls that come out just to badmouth our coaches like they are actually trying to lose games for us. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and seem to think that the grass is always greener someplace else and all we have to do is fire the coaches and everything will be better. As other posters have pointed out, there are hundreds of programs across the country that would die to have the success we have enjoyed over the years. Do the trolls have any idea how much it helps recruiting to know that the coaches that they are committing to will be around to help them grow their talent and see them through this very important time of their careers. For that matter, if our coaches are as talentless as some on here would like us to believe, why are we constantly bringing in top ten recruiting classes. I think it's because our program is known for helping to mold these recruits into young men that parents and us alumni would be proud to call our own whether it be on the field, in the classroom or in any other walk of life. Would we all like our team to go undefeated and win the World Series every year? Of course we would. But there are plenty of other things that play a part of being a good coach. We have lots of success stories we can point to and the fact that former players continue to come back to the program to speak and provide all kinds of support is because we have a man leading our program who has integrity and commands their respect all these years later and that means an awful lot in my opinion. By the end of this year that head coach will most likely be the top wins leader of all active coaches in all of college baseball. And the fact that some of you clowns want to kick him to the curb tells me you know nothing about baseball. It is also a great insult to all the young men that have committed to play here because you are essentially saying that they are idiots for why would they want to play for a man that in your words is such an "underachiever". To those of you that took the time to read all of this I apologize for the rant but sometimes it makes the soul feel better to call out these trolls for what they really are.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Because his contract was extended, does it mean he is coming back now that his last son will be done? For the betterment of the program, when would the best time be to announce a retirement?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This is a curious thing. I'm serious. How does one "demand winning"? What control does the fanbase (in general) have. I understand there is likely a relatively small coalition of "influential" folks who can move the needle. I'm not that. Not close. I'm just an idiot living in Virginia. I wear GT gear every 3rd day or so. I go to GT games within a day's drive when it is convenient... sometimes it takes some convincing for my family to understand how "convenient" it is. I travel to Atlanta no more than 1-2 times a year (usually for football). I pay close attention to the GT sports that I find fulfilling. That happens to be baseball, football, basketball (in that order... with baseball far and away #1).

I can't demand winning anymore than I can be complicit in losing. Should I find more to complain about? Will that generate a change toward more winning? Or is just WANTING to win REALLY REALLY bad what it takes. I'm definitely there. I don't take credit when GT does well. I'm not losing any sleep over it being my fault when the team loses.
Ok coach Hall

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think people on here realize that a couple hot ACC Tournaments after bad seasons in 12 and 14 and an incredibly lucky at-large bid in 16 kept nearly the entire decade from being a total loss before the 2019 resurgence. Hall did some really good things all the way up through 2011 and losses in the regionals were a combo of bad defense and bad luck.

But between 2012-2019 he basically survived on 2 hot May weekend auto-bids in Greensboro. Name me a list of SEC schools or ACC schools south of the Mason-Dixon Line where a baseball coach would survive that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think people on here realize that a couple hot ACC Tournaments after bad seasons in 12 and 14 and an incredibly lucky at-large bid in 16 kept nearly the entire decade from being a total loss before the 2019 resurgence. Hall did some really good things all the way up through 2011 and losses in the regionals were a combo of bad defense and bad luck.

But between 2012-2019 he basically survived on 2 hot May weekend auto-bids in Greensboro. Name me a list of SEC schools or ACC schools south of the Mason-Dixon Line where a baseball coach would survive that.
All of them?

We're never going to agree. Your post is reasonable. But you did do the thing where the success is luck & lack of success is a deficiency in competence. Makes you a true fan. 👍

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm fine with Hall staying, I'm even finer with Hall retiring on his own after all these years after all he has done for the program.

If we lose Ramsey, we are screwed. I think he is the future of our program.

DBo needs to figure out how to coach and develop college pitchers. I think he will.

Someone has to fix the defense and I don't know who that is because they haven't this year or most of the past two decades. Have to recruit more than bats.

Last edited:

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm fine with Hall staying, I'm even finer with Hall retiring on his own after all these years after all he has done for the program.

If we lose Ramsey, we are screwed. I think he is the future of our program.

DBo needs to figure out how to coach and develop college pitchers. I think he will.

Someone has to fix the defense and I don't know who that is because they haven't this year or most of the past two decades. Have to recruit more than bats.
Completely agree on Ramsey. I'm hoping they have a succession plan in place and maybe he is the secret coach in waiting.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Completely agree on Ramsey. I'm hoping they have a succession plan in place and maybe he is the secret coach in waiting.

May be the secret coach in waiting but like all organizations have to get the OGs out to allow upward mobility. He may get a better job; it's not called "The Great Resignation" for no reason.