coaching 'staff' comparisons

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I would have replied by posting this URL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Johnson_(American_football_coach)

So much for the "mediocre head coach" meme, I'd say. The three ACC Coach of the Year awards new enough to put paid to that, even without the rest.

3 ACC Coach of the Year awards to go along with the only 3 losing seasons at Tech in the last 22 years balances out to....mediocre. And that's with the aid of playing more FCS/IAA schools per season than any other Tech coach.

Spin it how you want to, but 53-53 FBS record over the last 9 seasons is....mediocre.

Johnson only had 3 winning seasons vs FBS teams in the last 9 years. Maybe you are right. He wasn't mediocre.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
3 ACC Coach of the Year awards to go along with the only 3 losing seasons at Tech in the last 22 years balances out to....mediocre. And that's with the aid of playing more FCS/IAA schools per season than any other Tech coach.

Spin it how you want to, but 53-53 FBS record over the last 9 seasons is....mediocre.

Johnson only had 3 winning seasons vs FBS teams in the last 9 years. Maybe you are right. He wasn't mediocre.
He is gone get over your hate.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Or, at Tennessee, would the bigger $$$ allowed for more staff etc to handle the larger responsibilities? ;)
The people that are at Tennesse have seen great sucess and they demand. They don't expect it on the cheap andcw thier expierence would have helped him build a staff.

I assume he would gave upgraded his staff.

He would have done great.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
He couldn’t have handled the media/fans. These people are brutal if things don’t go well and they’ve had a lot of practice recently.

This is conjecture, since I don't believe our small fanbase and a few internet websites were why PJ resigned but I've read here many times that the reason PJ resigned was partially due to the complaints and attitudes of our fanbase. Our very-small, can't-sell-out-regularly, 3rd-rung-on-the-local-football-ladder fanbase. Compared to the 90k+ that regularly fill up Neyland Stadium and who fill up sportstalk radio with daily Vol complaints?

If he couldn't handle our small, mostly-quiet fanbase, PJ would've lasted all of about 2 seasons in Knoxville.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No. I went to UT for grad school and cite many colleagues who work there. Its a pressure cooker. The consensus view is he would have struggled.

Paul Johnson is a VERY good coach with some mediocre years at GT. I've said it before, CPJ was about a decade or two too late for GT. By the time CPJ got to GT, the modern football game was transitioning both on and off the field. CPJ was not equipped nor did he want to deal with all the off the field stuff today's HC's have to deal with. Social Media, schmoozing media and boosters, hyper fans who are easily connected because of the internet, etc. On the field, spread offenses took away a LOT of talent CPJ probably would have signed a decade or two earlier. Still, CPJ was able to accomplish a good deal here. I think had GT hired CPJ in the 90's, GT probably would have been a powerhouse on the same level that Nebraska was.

I think anyone who tries to deny CPJ was a good coach is being obtuse. At the same time, I also think anyone who denies CPJ was in decline and the game was passing him is in denial of what's going on with college football today.

slugboy

Staff member
Great stuff.

Can you clarify this quote?
“If they do get defensive, you have three or four other leaders on the team who will back that guy up to say, ‘Hey, we’re not putting up with that,’” Curry said.
Leaders are backing up who? The coach or the player? Assuming in context it means the leaders on the team talk to the player to make the criticism/situation work.

The other players will pull the player to the side and have a 1:1 with them. He actually means that they’ll pull them back for a conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson is a VERY good coach with some mediocre years at GT. I've said it before, CPJ was about a decade or two too late for GT. By the time CPJ got to GT, the modern football game was transitioning both on and off the field. CPJ was not equipped nor did he want to deal with all the off the field stuff today's HC's have to deal with. Social Media, schmoozing media and boosters, hyper fans who are easily connected because of the internet, etc. On the field, spread offenses took away a LOT of talent CPJ probably would have signed a decade or two earlier. Still, CPJ was able to accomplish a good deal here. I think had GT hired CPJ in the 90's, GT probably would have been a powerhouse on the same level that Nebraska was.

I think anyone who tries to deny CPJ was a good coach is being obtuse. At the same time, I also think anyone who denies CPJ was in decline and the game was passing him is in denial of what's going on with college football today.

I think this a good summary. Gene Stallings, who coached Dabo and won a natty at Alabama, opined how much the role had changed. You have to coach, sure ... but there is SO much more

At Auburn, they are talking about buying out Malzahn’s $40M contract. Why? His performance is not good for the economic health of the city and business struggles when there is no excitement in the football team. So part of the role includes creating conditions that encourage people to come to the game and more importantly, spend money in the town.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The last coaching staff could have been good and it could also have been time for a change. Both of those things can be true.

I don't know why this is so difficult for the same handful of people in every thread to understand. Too many people interested in being right rather then just letting it all play out.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this a good summary. Gene Stallings, who coached Dabo and won a natty at Alabama, opined how much the role had changed. You have to coach, sure ... but there is SO much more

At Auburn, they are talking about buying out Malzahn’s $40M contract. Why? His performance is not good for the economic health of the city and business struggles when there is no excitement in the football team. So part of the role includes creating conditions that encourage people to come to the game and more importantly, spend money in the town.
That SO much more pales in comparison to you better be able to coach. Without the coaching, the rest doesn't matter so much, but if you are great at the so much more and can't coach at a high level, you ded.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That SO much more pales in comparison to you better be able to coach. Without the coaching, the rest doesn't matter so much, but if you are great at the so much more and can't coach at a high level, you ded.

Where did I say you don’t have to coach? “You have to coach, sure ...”

My point is that you have be good at so much more than just coaching. If all you want to do is coach, there’s Pop Warner.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If they are that stupid - and I know we're talking about Awbun here - then they deserve what they get. And, believe me, it won't be another Malzahn. He's a pretty good coach in a state where he will get compared to a ruthless and competent adversary: Satan himself. But if the criteria for the place's football coach is that he helps out local business, then the whole process has lost all proportion. Not to mention, of course, all connection with the supposed merits of market competition.

If I were Gus, I'd tell the worthy petit bourgeoisie of Awbun to suck it up and leave me to my job. Everything will work out better that way.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If they are that stupid - and I know we're talking about Awbun here - then they deserve what they get. And, believe me, it won't be another Malzahn. He's a pretty good coach in a state where he will get compared to a ruthless and competent adversary: Satan himself. But if the criteria for the place's football coach is that he helps out local business, then the whole process has lost all proportion. Not to mention, of course, all connection with the supposed merits of market competition.

If I were Gus, I'd tell the worthy petit bourgeoisie of Awbun to suck it up and leave me to my job. Everything will work out better that way.

Has it lost all proportion? Yes.