Coaching Philosophies and differing opinions...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Many coaches can be successful at Tech. It generally only takes understanding the unique operating conditions associated with the Institute, and adjusting the execution of one's philosophy to fit within the framework of those conditions; and a willingness to do so. The time to reach epiphany differs depending on the ego of the coach.

Sorry, you lost me with that first paragraph. GT plays NCAA football while most of the teams we play are in fact playing semi-professional football. I don't think any coach could be any more successful than Gailey, or Johnson have been under the circumstances they have had to recruit under.

Apologies if this is thread jack, just feeling more and more this way as the tide rises to pay players.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you saying like Auburn, we would depend on the secondary to disregard the game situation for a chance at personal glory?

No, he's saying that if we ran Auburn's offense and passed more frequently, then the defensive secondary would bat underthrown passes into our receivers' hands

No. I'm saying that Vad Lee and Justin Thomas would have been sacked for a 7 yard loss and never have gotten the pass off in that situation because our system relies on being able to fool the defense. If the defense knows a pass is coming, we're in trouble because our OL is used to cut blocking a good portion of the time. And cutting a pass rusher isn't a high percentage play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, you lost me with that first paragraph. GT plays NCAA football while most of the teams we play are in fact playing semi-professional football. I don't think any coach could be any more successful than Gailey, or Johnson have been under the circumstances they have had to recruit under.

Apologies if this is thread jack, just feeling more and more this way as the tide rises to pay players.
I think CPJ and CCG have had limited success at Tech. I believe CPJ will realize greater success moving forward. I think there are other coaches out there that can be successful at Tech (Bobby Ross and George O'Leary were Also successful).

My comment is that CPJ doesn't have a magic elixir that will make us automatically successful, nor has he cornered the market on what it takes to be successful. There are many other coaches (not all by any stretch of the imagination) that could be successful at Tech. How long that process takes (to reach success) will vary from coach to coach.

Hope that clarifies what I said for you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. I'm saying that Vad Lee and Justin Thomas would have been sacked for a 7 yard loss and never have gotten the pass off in that situation because our system relies on being able to fool the defense. If the defense knows a pass is coming, we're in trouble because our OL is used to cut blocking a good portion of the time. And cutting a pass rusher isn't a high percentage play.
Vad had time to get off a deep ball to Smelter on 3rd and a mile in the Pitt game when everybody and their grandmother knew we were gonna throw.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Vad had time to get off a deep ball to Smelter on 3rd and a mile in the Pitt game when everybody and their grandmother knew we were gonna throw.

You mean this play where we had to keep 7 people back to block 5? So then we're forced to throw it up into double coverage and are fortunate that our WR was able to outjump the 2 defenders? Yep. That proves your point. High percentage play design right there.

And for the record....David Sims gets away with a chop block on that play because he goes low to cut a player that's already engaged high by a lineman.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=333060059&vid=9919967

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You mean this play where we had to keep 7 people back to block 5? So then we're forced to throw it up into double coverage and are fortunate that our WR was able to outjump the 2 defenders? Yep. That proves your point. High percentage play design right there.

And for the record....David Sims gets away with a chop block on that play because he goes low to cut a player that's already engaged high by a lineman.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=333060059&vid=9919967

Sorry, I just realized this sounded a whole lot snarkier than I intended it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You keep saying "fool the defense with the pass". Isn't that the philosophy of a lot of offenses

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Completely agree with you corner. I think we can get there but patience is not a virtue of many football fans. And Tech fans are due some more highs after so many lean years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What I'd change.
Even if the flexbone is kept as a base offense, lower the percentage of plays out the flexbone.
More auxiliary shotgun/pistol offensive sets.
Get rid of the Aback/BBack position it hurts potential NFL draft ability and it just sounds weird and gimmicky.
Bring in a TE/HBack Hybrid in place of one of the Aback positions.
(WR, Hybrid/TE, RB, SlotWR, WR)
Bigger lineman to help pass protect and min more of the cut blocking.
Balance the offense from 80/20 run/pass to 70/30 - 65/35 run pass and you have a Real Dangerous Offense.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I'd change.
Even if the flexbone is kept as a base offense, lower the percentage of plays out the flexbone.
More auxiliary shotgun/pistol offensive sets.
Get rid of the Aback/BBack position it hurts potential NFL draft ability and it just sounds weird and gimmicky.
Bring in a TE/HBack Hybrid in place of one of the Aback positions.
(WR, Hybrid/TE, RB, SlotWR, WR)
Bigger lineman to help pass protect and min more of the cut blocking.
Balance the offense from 80/20 run/pass to 70/30 - 65/35 run pass and you have a Real Dangerous Offense.
We've recruited bigger linemen in each of the last two classes.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I want to see 300+ pound maulers across the board on the line.

Serious Question: Would you rather we scored more points per drive with the offense unchanged or change the offense to what you want to see, bigger linemen and more balance, even if that means we're not as efficient? (I know you'd like for us to change our offense to match your expectation AND become more efficient, but that's not my question.)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Serious Question: Would you rather we scored more points per drive with the offense unchanged or change the offense to what you want to see, bigger linemen and more balance, even if that means we're not as efficient? (I know you'd like for us to change our offense to match your expectation AND become more efficient, but that's not my question.)
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it.

I would, of course, prefer that the offense scored more points per drive because I think that would then mean we might beat Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech, and/or Georgia.
But I would also much prefer that we changed the offense around some. Personally, I wish we didn't use the TO at all but that's not realistic.

I think most like me who don't like the offense would just like to see us do what CPJ has said at times. I've heard him say at signing day before (and in various interviews), "we also have elements of the run and shoot in the offense as well". Well, if we have it, we have run it so infrequently that no one has noticed we have it. I'd just like to see us show some different looks like that a percentage of the time so that teams have to prepare for it because they at least have to respect the possibility we'll use it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't care what we run as long as we win. So I would almost always want to see more points per drive.

That leaves off 1/2 to 2/3 of the game in ST and D, but for the O it is an easy answer for me.

When you have a really weak D like we used to have, it may have been better for the O to keep the ball for 40 minutes and score less. But the D was respectable last year (28th in total D) http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem is the amount of time necessary top prep properly for all the different aspects of the game. The passing game plays 2nd fiddle to the running game, so it's practiced less. As with anything, the more you do it, the better you are at it. That, coupled with type of passes thrown is why we have such a low completion percentage.

We'll never have a true run n' shoot because we're a run-first team. I loved the Glanville/Jones "chuck n' duck" offense; it was exciting.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what we run as long as we win. So I would almost always want to see more points per drive.

That leaves off 1/2 to 2/3 of the game in ST and D, but for the O it is an easy answer for me.

When you have a really weak D like we used to have, it may have been better for the O to keep the ball for 40 minutes and score less. But the D was respectable last year (28th in total D) http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

It has been pointed out to you before that this defense stat is misleading. Our offense shortens games (rushing burns more clock and TOP reduces number of opponent drives). If you click the yards per play stat, you'll see we were 64th.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Score more points ..
I don't dislike the offense per se, but I do want it to have more dynamics and explosiveness. Geez what's wrong with the forward pass.

I'm not asking for another extreme like the air raid or run and shoot, I do feel that passing will make the current offense more explosive and exciting to watch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Score more points ..
I don't dislike the offense per se, but I do want it to have more dynamics and explosiveness. Geez what's wrong with the forward pass.

I'm not asking for another extreme like the air raid or run and shoot, I do feel that passing will make the current offense more explosive and exciting to watch.

I know what you want. I'm wondering what you'd prefer given stark choices. What average point per drive ranking over six years would satisfy you more than getting the offense you want? Top 5? 10? 15? 20? How do you quantify preferring ppd over style?