Coaching changes?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Curious. So quiet right now with off season changes.

1 - are we doing nothing?
2 - waiting for navy season to end before poaching a coach?
3 - lining up someone else before firing ours and that takes a bit of time?
4 - wait til after bowl season
5 - wait til after nsd (i hope not)

So what say you. Which is Paul up to now? Up to now if he was going to make a change it usually is in the 2 or 3 timeframe or quicker which makes me wonder about option 1

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Curious. So quiet right now with off season changes.

1 - are we doing nothing?
2 - waiting for navy season to end before poaching a coach?
3 - lining up someone else before firing ours and that takes a bit of time?
4 - wait til after bowl season
5 - wait til after nsd (i hope not)

So what say you. Which is Paul up to now? Up to now if he was going to make a change it usually is in the 2 or 3 timeframe or quicker which makes me wonder about option 1
Doubt it is nothing, but I was struck when the new USC (west) coach fired four assistants right off the bat. Now they go to a bowl with a whole bunch of missing pieces but it shows the guy is decisive when he moves. If he is releasing/firing/dismissing/retiring -- whatever sounds nicer -- one or more assistants I would pick option 3. ECU just fired its coach very abruptly and everybody is guessing the AD has a guy in the pipeline.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has probably decided what he is going to do, but isn't going to make it public for a while. Time will tell. It is a longer offseason than usual.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts have been the coaches will be having lengthy either 1 on 1 with CPJ or units with CPJ meetings outlining this year and plans moving forward. From there he'll make a decision and line some new guys up if need be.

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I do not believe there will be any staff changes and will be surprised if Johnson modifies his offense in any way. I believe he is extremely stubborn and is firmly wedded to his belief that his offense is perfect.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not believe there will be any staff changes and will be surprised if Johnson modifies his offense in any way. I believe he is extremely stubborn and is firmly wedded to his belief that his offense is perfect.

+1. I'll be very surprised if we see any major staff changes or significant scheme changes in the spring. Especially scheme changes that help the passing game.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I expect no staff changes and definitely no schematic changes, just more back to the basics, fundamental of his offense talk in the spring.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now you're just being silly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I expect no staff changes and definitely no schematic changes, just more back to the basics, fundamental of his offense talk in the spring.
Lack of fundamentals was a main problem this year so that's not all bad. Also, the very same scheme and coaches won us an OB last year. The biggest disconnect between '14 and '15 is players. Turnover, when you factor in graduation, attrition and injury, was massive. Not only total numbers, but certain position group were decimated. An experience comparison between the two teams' starters is a huge contrast as well.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lack of fundamentals was a main problem this year so that's not all bad. Also, the very same scheme and coaches won us an OB last year. The biggest disconnect between '14 and '15 is players. Turnover, when you factor in graduation, attrition and injury, was massive. Not only total numbers, but certain position group were decimated. An experience comparison between the two teams' starters is a huge contrast as well.
All true but the lack of coaching is getting a pass due to player blame Or issues. In my opinion if Paul thinks the ship right by just simply getting one year older I expect six or seven wins at most next year.

The fact is under Paul we have been good on offense but the offensive line always seems to be a weakness. Just imagine what we would be with a good line

2014 was a perfect storm of very good skill position players and the team getting hot at the right time and it's not a recipe for repeated success

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't get me wrong. I think PJ is a very good coach. The problem I have had is during the game he is so focused on the offense. I think a head coach should have his hands in every aspect of the game. We need an offensive coordinator to be calling plays while CPJ can tweak the game to his advantage. The problem is his pride won't let him do that and it hurts our efforts. It also takes away from his ability to make the adjustments that are needed to turn a one score loss into a one-score win. a good example would be JT had no time to look for receivers. No adjustments were made to improve his chances. It was the same problem most of the season. Our division is getting tougher with better coaches coming in each year. I guess my question is how are we going to improve on what we do in order to compete? Better players or improved coaching? not many believe we can get the 4 & 5-star players so that only gives us the other option. anything less than a 7-5 or 8-4 record every year is unacceptable on all levels. Johnson has had 2 already. He is very quick to blame the defense when a lot of times it's not.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All true but the lack of coaching is getting a pass due to player blame Or issues. In my opinion if Paul thinks the ship right by just simply getting one year older I expect six or seven wins at most next year.

The fact is under Paul we have been good on offense but the offensive line always seems to be a weakness. Just imagine what we would be with a good line

2014 was a perfect storm of very good skill position players and the team getting hot at the right time and it's not a recipe for repeated success
Here's my recipe for repeated success: (copied from another thread)

The only way programs like GT can perform at a high level with consistency is to have very little attrition, very few injuries, very few misses in recruiting and to red shirt religiously and have most guys stay all 5 years. That way, you always have a crop of quality upperclassmen and no glaring holes in your roster. The upperclassmen part is essential at GT for two reasons: a) because we typically have to develop "project" kids and that takes time, and b) the precise nature of our offense demands experience.

It's still a delicate balancing act because the less you turn over, the less you can recruit, so classes are always small. This makes it doubly important to recruit to your specific needs each year as far as evening out the classes and filling out positions equitably.

To add, I think Roof has been hampered a great deal by bad luck attrition and recruiting misses (prior to his arrival) on the DL. He's had success with his schemes at other programs, namely Penn State, when he's had better talent. Getting better talent is a process because first you have to recruit it, then you have to develop it. He's only been here a couple years so the jury is still out. Also, my guess is CPJ had a hand in our "bend and break later" scheme.

What really kills me about our D is how poorly we cover routes over the middle. If I was an opposing OC, that's all I would ever do.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
I think PJ would be a much better head coach if he wasn't calling all the plays and hired an offensive coordinator that runs the option. He would still be in control but would have a little more time to make adjustments instead of calling every play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's my recipe for repeated success: (copied from another thread)

The only way programs like GT can perform at a high level with consistency is to have very little attrition, very few injuries, very few misses in recruiting and to red shirt religiously and have most guys stay all 5 years. That way, you always have a crop of quality upperclassmen and no glaring holes in your roster. The upperclassmen part is essential at GT for two reasons: a) because we typically have to develop "project" kids and that takes time, and b) the precise nature of our offense demands experience.

It's still a delicate balancing act because the less you turn over, the less you can recruit, so classes are always small. This makes it doubly important to recruit to your specific needs each year as far as evening out the classes and filling out positions equitably.

To add, I think Roof has been hampered a great deal by bad luck attrition and recruiting misses (prior to his arrival) on the DL. He's had success with his schemes at other programs, namely Penn State, when he's had better talent. Getting better talent is a process because first you have to recruit it, then you have to develop it. He's only been here a couple years so the jury is still out. Also, my guess is CPJ had a hand in our "bend and break later" scheme.

What really kills me about our D is how poorly we cover routes over the middle. If I was an opposing OC, that's all I would ever do.

Roof has never had a top 45 D as a DC in his life other than one year at penn state which was a top 20 d the year before too. This is a simple fact. Let me say. That is not good in nearly a decade of being a dc

Also we never cover flat routes Our scheme stinks.

Paul needs to cure execution issues on the ol

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Roof is slowly increasing the talent level on D, which is the most important thing to me because that has been the biggest problem for us under CPJ.

Whether it's been lack of recruiting, lack of development by positional coaches, etc I don't know why we had better athletes under Gailey/Tenuta. But for some of those thinking that Tenuta would have just kept going like he did under Gailey with the same exact players we've had under Johnson, you are wrong.

Look at Dave Wommack--he had probably the worst defense that I can remember at GT in quite some time. Now, his Ole Miss defense is pretty impressive. We need talent.