Coaching Change not cheap

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting problem. There's substantial published work that is probably quite similar in politics on questions like approval or likeability or in marketing on brand perception. These tend to use word vector based machine learning models. In many ways the blueprint is there to take up, and tuning the model for 'energy' would be a worthwhile exercise if you want to get into machine learning on language datasets. Of course, you'd need a data source, like Lexis Nexis, and some machine learning compute resources. The first is more expensive. Would be fun to hack around on.

I think the larger model after making a hype metric would be problematic though. I suspect trying to control for resources along with a pretty limited data set would be tough.
You've put your fingers on why I won't be the person to do this. I don't know enough about machine learning to pull it off. My bad: this is where a lot of research is going, mainly because it's relatively more easy to find and analyze massive amounts of text then to try to get the stats agencies to collect more data. I'm sticking to these relatively more reliable sources in my own research; recent work shows that perhaps as much as 40% of internet traffic to sites involving "hot" issues is generated by bots. But none of that solves this problem. Perhaps there's a grad student in sports management somewhere …

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Our current regime seems to be banking on recruiting success and CGC, himself, being a top-notch DC. So, for our current regime, and extra $1M/year would best be spent on 20 extra recruiting staff or hiring an elite OC. It seems to me that either of those could have a major impact on the program. Or, if other factors preclude success, then it might not make any difference at all. I guess the point is that, an extra $1M/year, well-spent, COULD drastically change the program.
New idea. Spend the extra $1M to get Wes Durham to come back. Program changer. He could do a whole radio program every day covering general sports stuff, but always with a special slant to the Jackets. Pay Wes. People will come.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
New idea. Spend the extra $1M to get Wes Durham to come back. Program changer. He could do a whole radio program every day covering general sports stuff, but always with a special slant to the Jackets. Pay Wes. People will come.

We would also need to give him an appropriate platform to actually reach an audience. 680 does not provide this. I think either the River or other side of the river cover Gladiator games. Surely the Tech fanbase is larger than the Gladiator fanbase. I would hope we could move onto one of those FM channels.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You've put your fingers on why I won't be the person to do this. I don't know enough about machine learning to pull it off. My bad: this is where a lot of research is going, mainly because it's relatively more easy to find and analyze massive amounts of text then to try to get the stats agencies to collect more data. I'm sticking to these relatively more reliable sources in my own research; recent work shows that perhaps as much as 40% of internet traffic to sites involving "hot" issues is generated by bots. But none of that solves this problem. Perhaps there's a grad student in sports management somewhere …
We’ve got the best IE school in the world, one of the best Colleges of Computing (guessing Top 5), and a Top 25 Business School. Certainly there’s a Senior Design project in there somewhere to harness the Intitute’s talent and leap ahead of he competition.