Coaching Carousel

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CAM would hurt...so would Pelton. Our DL played the best I've seen them play since 2008...and that DL had 4 future pros on it, 3 of whom are still in the League. CAM has probably been our best recruiter since he took over for Giff Smith.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not advocating firing PJ at the moment. No, I don't think he has done well and any lack of quality recruits is still his fault. If a coach does not get quality recruits, it is his system, his personality, his inability to win, etal. It is a fact that the coach is the most important aspect of most recruit's decisions to attend a particular college.

After saying all of this, I do believe this season will define the tenure of PJ at Tech. If he has a mediocre or bad season, I think he will be gone. If he were to win nine or more games, he probably stays around for another season. If he were to leave after next year, I would like for Tech to consider their second choice before they hired Johnson. I would hope they would go after Murray State's Hatcher. He is an offensive genius and super quarterback in college, so he understands offenses. His offensive teams are prolific, and he has one of the best passing minds in the game.

The only thing I would want the athletic department and boosters to do is to make him sit down with a group of football athletic defensive supporters and advise him on his Defensive Coordinator. It seems as if his one weakness is defense. If he gets a good DC, then his upside at Tech would be tremendous.
Yes, he did not work out at Georgia Southern, but there may have been some underlying problems there that was not of his making.

I feel sure he would attract many skilled athletes for the offensive side of the ball. He was a super collegiate player at Valdosta State, and a super coach at Valdosta State. He would be known by High School coaches both in Georgia and Florida, which is our major recruiting base. I sincerely believe he would bring back a prolific offense at Tech, and the skilled athletes on that side of the ball would be salivating to get into Tech.

We generally get killed by a team with a good passer. I am not a big fan of Roof because of his history of playing the pass too loosely. However, even if Roof stayed, he would have to benefit from playing against the passing skills of Hatcher's offense every day in practice. Just a thought to all to read up on Hatcher's history as a player and coach at Valdosta State, and to read about his progress at Murray State. Of course, you will quickly find out that his defense at Murray State is nothing to brag about. He would need a good Defensive Coordinator.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am not advocating firing PJ at the moment. No, I don't think he has done well and any lack of quality recruits is still his fault. If a coach does not get quality recruits, it is his system, his personality, his inability to win, etal. It is a fact that the coach is the most important aspect of most recruit's decisions to attend a particular college.

After saying all of this, I do believe this season will define the tenure of PJ at Tech. If he has a mediocre or bad season, I think he will be gone. If he were to win nine or more games, he probably stays around for another season. If he were to leave after next year, I would like for Tech to consider their second choice before they hired Johnson. I would hope they would go after Murray State's Hatcher. He is an offensive genius and super quarterback in college, so he understands offenses. His offensive teams are prolific, and he has one of the best passing minds in the game.

The only thing I would want the athletic department and boosters to do is to make him sit down with a group of football athletic defensive supporters and advise him on his Defensive Coordinator. It seems as if his one weakness is defense. If he gets a good DC, then his upside at Tech would be tremendous.
Yes, he did not work out at Georgia Southern, but there may have been some underlying problems there that was not of his making.

I feel sure he would attract many skilled athletes for the offensive side of the ball. He was a super collegiate player at Valdosta State, and a super coach at Valdosta State. He would be known by High School coaches both in Georgia and Florida, which is our major recruiting base. I sincerely believe he would bring back a prolific offense at Tech, and the skilled athletes on that side of the ball would be salivating to get into Tech.

We generally get killed by a team with a good passer. I am not a big fan of Roof because of his history of playing the pass too loosely. However, even if Roof stayed, he would have to benefit from playing against the passing skills of Hatcher's offense every day in practice. Just a thought to all to read up on Hatcher's history as a player and coach at Valdosta State, and to read about his progress at Murray State. Of course, you will quickly find out that his defense at Murray State is nothing to brag about. He would need a good Defensive Coordinator.

It seems to me that it only takes a few fairly common examples to disprove the premise of your first paragraph. For example, to say that "any lack of quality recruits is still his fault" would mean that all quality recruits take the necessary math courses in High School to qualify for Georgia Tech. This assumption is demonstrably false. Some lack of quality recruits stems from them not having the required prerequisite. Also it assumes that all quality recruits will make the necessary scores on the SAT and have the necessary GPA. Again, this claim is demonstrably false. So some lack of quality recruits stem from their inability to make the appropriate test scores.

Furthermore, when kids talk about their recruitment, they regularly talk about things like the education, the assistant coaches, family atmosphere of the team, etc. When talking about their decisions, they don't just talk about the head coach's personality and scheme. So, that data also doesn't support your premise.

Still, of course, personality and scheme play a role, but to see if CPJ's personality drives down our recruiting, it's helpful to compare our recruiting now to past years. When you do that, you see that we haven't had a huge drop-off in recruiting under CPJ from what we had been seeing. Consequently, the actual facts don't support your premise that recruiting boils down just to the head coach.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CAM is looking for a head coaching job. I wouldn't expect him to take an assistant coaching job unless he thought he'd be able to move into the head coaching job shortly thereafter.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I'm not going to specifically reply to Rodney Kent is because this is the coaching carousel thread. I don't think the firing of CPJ even needs to be considered until after next year. Pretty sure we're going to be 9-3 or 8-4. Hopefully we'll be playing FSU or Clemson in the acccg.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I quit reading at Chris Hatcher. He was in way over his head at GSU, talks with a squeak, and all he does is throw every down. He and genius should not be used in the same paragraph.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Guys, please do me a huge favor. If you think someone is name calling; directly or indirectly, please hit the "Report" link under their post. The very last thing you should do is click the "Post Reply" button.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that it only takes a few fairly common examples to disprove the premise of your first paragraph. For example, to say that "any lack of quality recruits is still his fault" would mean that all quality recruits take the necessary math courses in High School to qualify for Georgia Tech. This assumption is demonstrably false. Some lack of quality recruits stems from them not having the required prerequisite. Also it assumes that all quality recruits will make the necessary scores on the SAT and have the necessary GPA. Again, this claim is demonstrably false. So some lack of quality recruits stem from their inability to make the appropriate test scores.

Furthermore, when kids talk about their recruitment, they regularly talk about things like the education, the assistant coaches, family atmosphere of the team, etc. When talking about their decisions, they don't just talk about the head coach's personality and scheme. So, that data also doesn't support your premise.

Still, of course, personality and scheme play a role, but to see if CPJ's personality drives down our recruiting, it's helpful to compare our recruiting now to past years. When you do that, you see that we haven't had a huge drop-off in recruiting under CPJ from what we had been seeing. Consequently, the actual facts don't support your premise that recruiting boils down just to the head coach.

Yeah, let's focus our recruiting in areas where academics are known to be poor!! You know, like South Georgia and Alabama!! What a great idea--then we have an excuse when our recruiting is subpar!!

Stop with the academic excuses. When GT again recruits on a national basis and can't get quality recruits, then I'll listen. In the meantime, it's just an excuse for mediocre recruiting.

GT signed ONE recruit from a state that is not contiguous with Georgia. NONE from South Florida where they play pretty good HS football.

GT has a national reputation. It's a strength. Use it. But this staff does not--or cannot, due to other reasons--some known, some unknown, but all can be fixed.

And the offense, which kids don't think is cool, is not helping. But that is a subject for another thread.

The academic excuses are just lame.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, let's focus our recruiting in areas where academics are known to be poor!! You know, like South Georgia and Alabama!! What a great idea--then we have an excuse when our recruiting is subpar!!

Stop with the academic excuses. When GT again recruits on a national basis and can't get quality recruits, then I'll listen. In the meantime, it's just an excuse for mediocre recruiting.

GT signed ONE recruit from a state that is not contiguous with Georgia. NONE from South Florida where they play pretty good HS football.

GT has a national reputation. It's a strength. Use it. But this staff does not--or cannot, due to other reasons--some known, some unknown, but all can be fixed.

And the offense, which kids don't think is cool, is not helping. But that is a subject for another thread.

Please do not post as a reply to me content that is not responsive to my post.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
It means CAM isn't going to FSU.

After reporting that James Willis was on his way to Tallahassee, Football Scoop has now posted:

Louisiana-Lafayette: Chad Washington of the Daily Advertiser is reporting that James Willis has decided to stay at UL. Willis was previously linked to a position on Jimbo Fisher's staff at Florida State.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

To not acknowledge the academic hurdle we have in recruiting discredits all else you have to say on the subject. The degree at which it hinders us is debatable, but to deny it exists is flat out ignorant.

I agree that we need to recruit nationally where our reputation is strong, but recruiting anywhere requires well established contacts/relationships. Just look what Pelton was able to do in academic poor Alabama. Finding needles in hay stacks is less desirable than in needle factories, but if that's where your relationship are, that's what you do.

CPJ should maybe look to add staff who have already established relationships in areas of the country that are known to produce the kids that fit our profile.