Coaching Carousel

gtdrew

Banned
I think the whole practice is like making change in the offering plate. There's no rule against it, but it betrays your low class level...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
ATL1 quote 26616 said:
Yeah spare me the unwritten rules crap. Players/kids choose who they want to coach them for the next four years not some ridiculous moral code.

You are right so how about Franklin ripping Josh Dawson for flipping to UGA a couple of years ago and criticizing his integrity and not being a "man of honor".

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
They flipped because they sold on their coach, they believe in him not Vandy. The kids that want to stay committed to Vandy will stay. Those that not sure will open their recruiting back up. I have No problem with it.

Part of coaching is being a salesman and havin people buy in. It's rrhetoric and thats apart of his sales pitch "men of honor". I promise you'll hear it at Penn St too.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Your opinion of me means ABSOLUTELY nothing to me.

I don't recall ever calling CPJ a liar.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
ATL1: I agree with you, some recruits go to a school for no other reason than to play for a particular coach. They should always have the option of backing out of their decisions when the coach leaves prior to the signing of the LOI. This has no reflecton on the character of the recruit, it just indicates they committed to the school because they wanted to play for the particular coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah spare me the unwritten rules crap. Players/kids choose who they want to coach them for the next four years not some ridiculous moral code.

Yeah, morals smorals. What I'm saying is what Franklin is doing is over the line. Here's another perspective on it: http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...oy-Vanderbilt-recruiting-class?nclick_check=1
It’s not uncommon for schools to lose recruits when a coach leaves, but what’s happening to Vanderbilt 23 days before signing day is not normal.

“I’ve never seen it in this volume, quite this fast, of someone trying to pillage their own commitment class for their new job,” said Jesse Johnson of Rivals recruiting siteVandySports.com.

“Normally, you’re going to have staffs take some kids. But I don’t think I’ve seen many cases where it seems like the entire class is trying to be taken to the next job.”

They're probably a little biased, as am I (they probably hate Franklin as much as I do), but what's happening isn't business as usual.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not think it is ethical for Franklin to try and sway a player he has recruited for Vanderbilt to change his mind and attend Penn State. In fact, I am not even sure I would accept a request from those recruits at Penn State. I would tell them that they either need to stay at Vanderbilt or find another school to attend. It just would not set right with me to take them to another school because I was headed there.

I do think it is within the moral code, if a recruit decided he no longer wants to attend Vanderbilt, that he has the right to contact other schools that he might like to attend, or other coaches of whom he might like as a mentor.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
reports are that Alabama is going to hire Bo Davis as DL coach...he was just hired by USC like a week ago. He was DL coach at Bama from 07-11 I think.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
something happened in statesboro yesterday i certainly haven't seen and really appreciated. southern's new coach, willie fritz. invited former coach, jeff monken, to address the eagles at his first team meeting yesterday. with so many egomaniacs in this world, it's refreshing to see the new coach and old coach address the team together in such a fashion. CJM really does love the eagles and he's very appreciative of southern giving him his first HC job. truly shows these gentlemen just aren't about themselves but care about the student athletes under their care. no doubt, it meant the world to the players to have a chance to hear from both coaches. too bad all transitions between coaches can't be so civil and constructive.