Coaching Carousel

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
BainbridgeJacket: Yes, that would have opened up Vanderbilt and Tennessee as one of the most watched games in the NCAA. The officials at Tennessee would have to hire the entire Knoxville police force for security for the game at Tennessee. This would give the word "Targeting" a new meaning. Kiffin would have to wear a bullet proof vest at Tennessee, and all Tennessee fans would have to be targeted and screened thoroughly before entering the stadium. The Tennessee Hill Billies have hunting rifles with scopes on them.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Franklin is said to be one of the country's best recruiters, I'm sure he'll do fine. Can't wait to see Penn St go up against Maryland next year. The vendetta bowl.

Could GSU just hired GT's next head coach??

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Franklin is said to be one of the country's best recruiters, I'm sure he'll do fine. Can't wait to see Penn St go up against Maryland next year. The vendetta bowl.

Could GSU just hired GT's next head coach??

The word is Fritz's offense is similar to what Auburn is doing. The thing to watch there is the "if we get a new coach, it'll take 3 years to get his guys in the system" growing pains. GSU's personnel is probably closest to GT's, relatively speaking. It will be an interesting development to watch if you take transition of personnel and GSU moving to FBS into consideration.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The word is Fritz's offense is similar to what Auburn is doing. The thing to watch there is the "if we get a new coach, it'll take 3 years to get his guys in the system" growing pains. GSU's personnel is probably closest to GT's, relatively speaking. It will be an interesting development to watch if you take transition of personnel and GSU moving to FBS into consideration.

Exactly. I'm gonna watch this very closely.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What the hell is "Willie Shaw Director of Defense?" Are they selling the titles of position coaches and coordinators to make money?

Various very successful alumni have endowed certain coaching positions. It's actually a really awesome idea. Put it this way...Stanford will never have to worry about paying their coaches. Maybe GT with our 1 in 6 alumni are millionaires should look into something like that...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Various very successful alumni have endowed certain coaching positions. It's actually a really awesome idea. Put it this way...Stanford will never have to worry about paying their coaches. Maybe GT with our 1 in 6 alumni are millionaires should look into something like that...

Stanford is the model as far as I'm concerned.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I see your point. Just seems like a ridiculous way to stick your name on something. How about a building etc... but whatever. I guess as they say everything in life is for sale. Just think if this was done in the working world more often. We could get things like the Jasper Sanks Director of Janitorial Services. The Damon Evans Director of Female Undergarments. The "Meat Clever" Weaver Director of Literacy. He and Leonard Pope might have a bidding war over that title. The Herschel Walker Director of Psychiatric Services. This name might change daily with his multiple personalities and all. Damn this could go on forever.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I see your point. Just seems like a ridiculous way to stick your name on something. How about a building etc... but whatever. I guess as they say everything in life is for sale. Just think if this was done in the working world more often. We could get things like the Jasper Sanks Director of Janitorial Services. The Damon Evans Director of Female Undergarments. The "Meat Clever" Weaver Director of Literacy. He and Leonard Pope might have a bidding war over that title. The Herschel Walker Director of Psychiatric Services. This name might change daily with his multiple personalities and all. Damn this could go on forever.

Well, the donor named in it in honor of Brian Shaw's father who was a coach at Stanford so many years ago. Another donor endowed the offensive coordinator position after Andrew Luck as a thank you to playing for Stanford. Nobody was trying to "buy" their way into notoriety.

Calm down man...watch some NFL playoffs and let it go!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Franklin to PSU is official.

Wonder if Vandy goes after Morris.

Anyone see what's going on with Franklin and Vandy right now? Before Saturday, Franklin kept telling Vandy's AD that he was still the coach and he hasn't even made a decision yet, even though everyone in the press announced it was a done deal. Vandy's AD took Franklin's word, and even went to decision makers to see if Vandy could increase Franklin's compensation package. We all know how that ended.

On top of that, Franklin is not only trying to recruit guys Vandy was recruiting (fair enough), but now he's also poaching guys that are COMMITTED to Vandy! Wow.

This is always why I say my loyalty is with GT, and not a coach. A coach's results on the field should speak for themselves. Coaches come and go, and their loyalty falls to whoever gives them the best opportunity. GT will always be GT no matter who the coaches or players are.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gotta give Franklin credit. Just verifies that he was the whole show there. Kids were committing because of him, and not because of Vandy football.

Thats true of most places. What he's showing now is his low character. Guess he'll fit well with the PennSt brass.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The landscape of college coaching is changing fast. Players want to play for younger energetic coaches that they can relate to more. Players showing loyalty to a school is fading. It's all about what young exciting coach is at the school.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Thats true of most places. What he's showing now is his low character. Guess he'll fit well with the PennSt brass.

How is getting players he recruited to follow him to Penn St is showing low character?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How is getting players he recruited to follow him to Penn St is showing low character?

It's sort of an unwritten thing for coaches to leave commits alone to a certain degree once they leave a school. Some commits will inevitably follow, but it's extremely low rent to actively recruit them to follow you.

There are rumors he was doing this prior to even being announced as PennSt's coach. Also consider were heading into a dead period and he knows Vandy has no chance to recruit them back.

Sure there are no rules against it, but some define integrity as choosing to do the right thing even when you don't have to.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's sort of an unwritten thing for coaches to leave commits alone to a certain degree once they leave a school. Some commits will inevitably follow, but it's extremely low rent to actively recruit them to follow you.

There are rumors he was doing this prior to even being announced as PennSt's coach. Also consider were heading into a dead period and he knows Vandy has no chance to recruit them back.

Sure there are no rules against it, but some define integrity as choosing to do the right thing even when you don't have to.

IDK about all that, it sounds more like smart coaching to me.