Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dang, sounds like the New Mexico St coach is definitely gonna be on the hotseat...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-state-cancels-basketball-season-045900896.html

Shooting incident, probation, questionable involvement, questionable transparency from the coaches, on and on.

Oh but wait, it gets worse ...

On top of that, hazing and potential sexual assault of a team member by his teammates?

How did all this go on for so long? Yikes

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Dang, sounds like the New Mexico St coach is definitely gonna be on the hotseat...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-state-cancels-basketball-season-045900896.html

Shooting incident, probation, questionable involvement, questionable transparency from the coaches, on and on.

Oh but wait, it gets worse ...

On top of that, hazing and potential sexual assault of a team member by his teammates?

How did all this go on for so long? Yikes
So what you are saying is we may sweep in and hire him? I kid I kid

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
For all of those who thought we'd be such a salary upgrade.

Unless I'm reading things wrong, his new contract is for 1 mil a year. To compare, Pastner is at 2.4 million for this year. So yeah, I would expect us still to be a significant upgrade salarywise. I don't view that as an extension designed to stop him from every leaving, but to stop him from leaving until a big name school, relatively, comes knocking.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless I'm reading things wrong, his new contract is for 1 mil a year. To compare, Pastner is at 2.4 million for this year. So yeah, I would expect us still to be a significant upgrade salarywise. I don't view that as an extension designed to stop him from every leaving, but to stop him from leaving until a big name school, relatively, comes knocking.
Maybe naive question, but does it also make sense if you know your coach is likely to get poached to do this purely as a "get a bigger buyout when he leaves" move?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe naive question, but does it also make sense if you know your coach is likely to get poached to do this purely as a "get a bigger buyout when he leaves" move?
Yes.
Sometimes it works and sometimes... Paul Hewitt

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Absolutely. I'm sure this would make it expensive for us to go get him.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Chair on fire...
  • Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
    • We’re back on the roller coaster with Pastner and Georgia Tech this year. Things cooled off after the NCAA Tournament appearance in 2021, but another ACC basement finish last year (12-20, 5-15) has the 7th-year head coach right back on the hot seat. There is a new AD in place (J Blatt from Alabama) who decided to stick with the internal, interim option in his first major coaching search. Pastner’s new contract runs through the 2025-26 season. UPDATE: GT is 12-17 (5-14) and ahead of only ND and Louisville at the bottom of the ACC.