Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will just have to disagree. His last article was definitely positive that we used to be good. Also, his opinion is that we can be good again. Just because he states that we suck right now in basketball doesn't mean that it's a negative article. Sometimes you just have to call a pig a pig, right now our men's basketball team is an ugly boar hog.
Anyone defending any of the AJC writers needs a reality check. Nevermind his opinion on this team, everyone knows we suck, but those guys are trash.

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone defending any of the AJC writers needs a reality check. Nevermind his opinion on this team, everyone knows we suck, but those guys are trash.
Maybe they write something nice, maybe they write something mean, but they’re phoning in all their coverage—us, UGA, Braves, Hawks, Falcons—it doesn’t matter who, but they’re not doing the legwork to be good sportswriters.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We will just have to disagree. His last article was definitely positive that we used to be good. Also, his opinion is that we can be good again. Just because he states that we suck right now in basketball doesn't mean that it's a negative article. Sometimes you just have to call a pig a pig, right now our men's basketball team is an ugly boar hog.
Honey, you’re ugly. You’ve really let yourself go. You used to be pretty and I truly believe you can be pretty again. No, honey, please stop! I mean it... I just believe you’re capable of so much more! Why don’t you just apply yourself? I’m saying it because I care. Believe me, this is a positive thing!

Honey?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Honey, you’re ugly. You’ve really let yourself go. You used to be pretty and I truly believe you can be pretty again. No, honey, please stop! I mean it... I just believe you’re capable of so much more! Why don’t you just apply yourself? I’m saying it because I care. Believe me, this is a positive thing!

Honey?
Bad press is better than no press...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Look at you not paying attention to time stamps.

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The "need a coach who hasn't just won at the best job in conference" argument is silly to me. I

If you are a well regarded coach, either as a head coach at a lower level or as an assistant, I would suspect you would be somewhat picky about which jobs you take because you know you'll likely have options.

Kelsey was highly regarded as an assistant at both Wake under Prosser (then Gaudio after Prosser passed away) then Xavier under Chris Mack. So it makes sense that he wouldn't just jump at the first bottom third of a mid major conference job that was available. Now obviously some guys just want to be head coach as soon as they can so would make the jump, but its perfectly reasonable that others, especially those like Kelsey, would be more selective as going to a bad job and not performing well can really hinder potential ascension in the coaching ranks, especially when we're talking about someone who took the HC job in the mid 30s.

Kelsey would be an absolute homerun of a hire, and getting him would signify a stronger commitment for a number of reasons. One, it'd probably take a good chunk to lure him here over other available openings, but also if he's a guy that is selective, it likely means he's been sold on a plan that would allow him to be competitive here. Any P5 conference team can sell that, and GT is located in a great place for basketball. The only real reason we aren't seen as a better program is recent performance, which is at least in part tied to lack of investment. If we were to land Kelsey it would almost certainly guarantee that we've decided to invest more into the program so it would address that point.

Hunter is probably my personal "bar" for what I would want to fire Pastner to land. If we knew we were going to hire Hunter, I'd say make the move. Anyone less than Hunter and I'd say we're probably better off waiting a year and hoping either Pastner turns it around or we're in a better position to make a move then. HE oversaw the transition of IUPUI from NAIA to Div 1 and ended with 7 consecutive years of at least .500 ball in conference (4 of them well above .500) and then did a great job at State before going to Tulane where he seems to have them on an upward trajectory in year 4. There are some things that would make me not as big a fan as some others, like his age and lack of experience in a P5 conference in any capacity, but his history of success and some ties to the region make him worth it to make a move for.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
To pile onto Ivy's point - the argument we need a coach who showed he can do it in a bad job says we expect to continue to be a "bad" job by not investing the required resources to be a "good" job. That let's the AD/Prez off the hook. We need to find the resources to make this a "good" job that can take advantage of the upside to GA talent, ACC conference, above average to great facilities, etc. A Kelsey type of hire is going to make sure that commitment is there before coming and I want that. If we can't do it then wait till we can - as painful as that will be.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
? Inquiring minds want to know.
Chased the GT job after BG was let go and didn't really have the experience yet.

Accepted and was publicly announced as the coach at UMass then reversed course and didn't go there.

Allegedly, a big time self promoter, so would expect him to try and leave right away and then leave. You can say GT's boat will have risen as a result, but not if it occurs in a short term and we're starting over again quickly.

Just don't like the vibes.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Chased the GT job after BG was let go and didn't really have the experience yet.

Accepted and was publicly announced as the coach at UMass then reversed course and didn't go there.

Allegedly, a big time self promoter, so would expect him to try and leave right away and then leave. You can say GT's boat will have risen as a result, but not if it occurs in a short term and we're starting over again quickly.

Just don't like the vibes.
10-4