Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What? He didn't announce it before the season so everyone could fawn over how great he is all season like someone else in the ACC did? What's wrong with him?

"Mmhow dare you. I was the greatest mmthing since sliced bread. I actually invented bread.... then I invented mmbasketball. Mmhmmm... love me?" - Coach K(ardashian)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The state of college athletics may have finally worn him out. With the transfer portal, NIL money, and ineffective enforcement by the NCAA, a lot of long time coaches may be fed up with the entire system. A lot of fans are
He is fortunate to have been at a school like ND who put up with a lot of mediocre seasons and didn't run him off.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What? He didn't announce it before the season so everyone could fawn over how great he is all season like someone else in the ACC did? What's wrong with him?
don't think he would be retiring if season was going better. I think his retirement is a recent development based upon performance.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
don't think he would be retiring if season was going better. I think his retirement is a recent development based upon performance.
I get that. My post was a dig at Ratface. I think Brey is a great guy. Reminds me a bit of Paul Johnson the way he always tells it like it is. Most normal people just say they are done and retire. It takes a massive ego to announce it then continue to coach another year so everyone can tell him how great he is at every arena he goes to.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get that. My post was a dig at Ratface. I think Brey is a great guy. Reminds me a bit of Paul Johnson the way he always tells it like it is. Most normal people just say they are done and retire. It takes a massive ego to announce it then continue to coach another year so everyone can tell him how great he is at every arena he goes to.

Yes, the massive ego like.... Bobby Cox.

Anyways, most normal people know years in advanced when they are going to retire, plan for it, and certainly let others know how many years they have left.

Announcing a retirement early in sports isn't that rare and probably has more to do with knowing that you're likely going to want one more go after the season right after it ends. Like if K hadn't announced before last year he probably wouldn't have retired after losing to UNC in the final four. Announcing makes it final, and it's easier to make that decision about something 8 months down the road than immediately.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
The way he’s doin it is a smooth way to transition, maybe not loose on some recruits, and possibly not have the basketball program bottom out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Along the same vein, has Michael Cunningham ever written a positive article about Tech?
We will just have to disagree. His last article was definitely positive that we used to be good. Also, his opinion is that we can be good again. Just because he states that we suck right now in basketball doesn't mean that it's a negative article. Sometimes you just have to call a pig a pig, right now our men's basketball team is an ugly boar hog.