Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In a really weird 'You gonna believe me or my own words' moment, Bob Huggins says he never resigned ....

https://www.on3.com/college/west-vi...to-sue-if-west-virginia-doesnt-reinstate-him/

Smells like somebody didn't realize he couldn’t file for unemployment if he quit the job. :ROFLMAO:

Where was his agent when that statement was put together?

Good Morning Reaction GIF
We're at a point in our lives where truth has evolved into nothing more than a value judgement.

slugboy

Staff member
In a really weird 'You gonna believe me or my own words' moment, Bob Huggins says he never resigned ....

https://www.on3.com/college/west-vi...to-sue-if-west-virginia-doesnt-reinstate-him/

Smells like somebody didn't realize he couldn’t file for unemployment if he quit the job. :ROFLMAO:

Where was his agent when that statement was put together?

Good Morning Reaction GIF

It wouldn’t surprise me if Huggins didn’t manage his own Twitter account (the AA did), didn’t write the resignation letter himself (a media relations person did), and that Huggins was told “you’ll be resigning, and this is the severance package”, but that he hasn’t signed the paperwork.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the WVU AD said “we’ll put together a fair package for all your years of service” but saved the details for later, and Huggins and his lawyer don’t find it fair.

Resignation was probably not Huggins idea, and WVU probably wants out as cheaply as possible, and more cheaply than firing Huggins.

ETA: when you’re an AD and you announce a resignation, make sure you get the paperwork signed.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Not with him at the bar!
Or worse yet, right there with him and trading shots.

That agent’s other coaches must be asking the same question—where we’re you when this resignation was put together?

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
They have a record of his resignation in a text message, "Please accept this correspondence as my formal notice of resignation as WVU Head Basketball Coach and as notice of my retirement from West Virginia University, effective immediately." The message was sent from his wife's phone. Therefore, he claims it was not official.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They have a record of his resignation in a text message, "Please accept this correspondence as my formal notice of resignation as WVU Head Basketball Coach and as notice of my retirement from West Virginia University, effective immediately." The message was sent from his wife's phone. Therefore, he claims it was not official.

It seems to me the university got careless in their eagerness to separate from Huggins. If they accepted his wife's text message as a resignation letter, they may have made a serious mistake.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems to me the university got careless in their eagerness to separate from Huggins. If they accepted his wife's text message as a resignation letter, they may have made a serious mistake.
Agreed. He wants to be reinstated as head basketball coach immediately. How is that going to work? And why would he need to be reinstated? If he didn't quit, and he wasn't fired or suspended, he should just go back.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. He wants to be reinstated as head basketball coach immediately. How is that going to work? And why would he need to be reinstated? If he didn't quit, and he wasn't fired or suspended, he should just go back.
Not sure how smart this is for Huggins. The university probably has sufficient reason to fire him for cause and he will end up with less money in the long run.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If they fire him, they owe the remainder of any contract he had . If he resigned, contract was no longer in effect unless he negotiated a buyout which I doubt he did at the time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Huggins is clearly making a legal play for more money. While not logical, I have seen personally many examples of large organizations (usually corporations) decide to settle a case even when they are in the right and would likely win in court....just to avoid the bad PR of the court case and being drug through the mud.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If they fire him, they owe the remainder of any contract he had . If he resigned, contract was no longer in effect unless he negotiated a buyout which I doubt he did at the time.
But if they fire him for cause, which basically means he violated the terms of his contract, they owe him nothing.