Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think the connection to ATL was a huge reason for them hiring Rosemond, you're smoking something.

Are we just using ATL as a catch all for the south east? Because otherwise I don't think his track record really speaks of an overly close affiliation with Atlanta, or Georgia, in particular.

I didn't think so. I might occasionally disagree with him about a player, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut about the processs.

I mean, usually he's right. And I usually don't disagree or contest what he says. This time he's wrong though. Rosemond didn't land Sexton, and Lewis is a born and bred Alabama native, not an ATL kid. Neither is Clowney. They are literally out of state players. And there is a big difference between players born and raised in Georgia, specifically Atlanta area, and those who are just participating on an AAU team which is branded from Atlanta. People gave UGA hell when they pretended they were from Atlanta and at least they are in the same state.

The best example to use would probably be Teondre Williams to Oregon back in 08 or something for pulling ATL kids anywhere fwiw.

Looking at the Alabama Classes when he was there.

17 - everyone was committed prior to him joining I believe.
18 - 2 from Alabama 1 from MS.
19 - 5 from all over the place. KS, MS, Cal, NC, NV
20 - 2 from FL, Ontario, AZ, Ohio.

At UGA he got Hammonds out of Norcross in the class of 17.
2016 - 2 in state players from Atlanda Suburbs Donalsonville and Bainbridge.
2015 - 2 in state players from Mableton and Athens.
2014 (not sure how much he recruited this class) - 0 Georgia players.

Now that is with a quick look and something could be off. (for example Tamar Bates is listed as being from FL because he played at IMG his senior year but is from Kansas I believe). If there is then feel free to correct.

Otherwise, maybe Indiana got him for his regional ties, but I think that is largely more incidental. I think it's far more likely they viewed his experience as an assistant, 15+ years, and general recruiting success regardless of region (he spent a good chunk of time in oregon) as more important especially in light of Woodson being a coach with no college experience.

But hey, we'll see. Maybe Inidana's recruiting classes will suddenly be flushed with southern boys. I'm not holding my breath though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are we just using ATL as a catch all for the south east? Because otherwise I don't think his track record really speaks of an overly close affiliation with Atlanta, or Georgia, in particular.

I mean, usually he's right. And I usually don't disagree or contest what he says. This time he's wrong though. Rosemond didn't land Sexton, and Lewis is a born and bred Alabama native, not an ATL kid. Neither is Clowney. They are literally out of state players. And there is a big difference between players born and raised in Georgia, specifically Atlanta area, and those who are just participating on an AAU team which is branded from Atlanta. People gave UGA hell when they pretended they were from Atlanta and at least they are in the same state.

The best example to use would probably be Teondre Williams to Oregon back in 08 or something for pulling ATL kids anywhere fwiw.

Looking at the Alabama Classes when he was there.

17 - everyone was committed prior to him joining I believe.
18 - 2 from Alabama 1 from MS.
19 - 5 from all over the place. KS, MS, Cal, NC, NV
20 - 2 from FL, Ontario, AZ, Ohio.

At UGA he got Hammonds out of Norcross in the class of 17.
2016 - 2 in state players from Atlanda Suburbs Donalsonville and Bainbridge.
2015 - 2 in state players from Mableton and Athens.
2014 (not sure how much he recruited this class) - 0 Georgia players.

Now that is with a quick look and something could be off. (for example Tamar Bates is listed as being from FL because he played at IMG his senior year but is from Kansas I believe). If there is then feel free to correct.

Otherwise, maybe Indiana got him for his regional ties, but I think that is largely more incidental. I think it's far more likely they viewed his experience as an assistant, 15+ years, and general recruiting success regardless of region (he spent a good chunk of time in oregon) as more important especially in light of Woodson being a coach with no college experience.

But hey, we'll see. Maybe Inidana's recruiting classes will suddenly be flushed with southern boys. I'm not holding my breath though.

I admitted where I was wrong on Sexton.

If kids are playing for ATL AAU programs, that's the center of influence. Atlanta.

Keep thinking it's incidental though.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don’t “have a dog in this hunt”, and no strong feelings either way. But I think you are both saying Rosemond is a very effective recruiter, with strong ATL/SE ties. He has been very successful, and has caused us recruiting heartburn in the past. So the only point of contention, it seems to me, is will he be more of a problem for us at Indiana than he has been at Alabama?

That is a question that will be answered with time. Obviously the ATL market is a prime target for AL, and it has not been historically for IA. But perhaps that will change.

I think both of you are knowledgeable, well reasoned posters whose opinions I respect. I’m just not sure there is a ton of disagreement between you on this one issue.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I really don’t “have a dog in this hunt”, and no strong feelings either way. But I think you are both saying Rosemond is a very effective recruiter, with strong ATL/SE ties. He has been very successful, and has caused us recruiting heartburn in the past. So the only point of contention, it seems to me, is will he be more of a problem for us at Indiana than he has been at Alabama?

That is a question that will be answered with time. Obviously the ATL market is a prime target for AL, and it has not been historically for IA. But perhaps that will change.

I think both of you are knowledgeable, well reasoned posters whose opinions I respect. I’m just not sure there is a ton of disagreement between you on this one issue.

I'm seeing a significant gap between the two so I hope they keep this up for a 'nother couple pages, honestly.

I'm pretty sure lv20 called him 'ugly' a few posts ago.

:sneaky:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wait, so it was just the one guy? The 'report' makes it sound like multiple players/multiple parents.

I gotta be honest, this doesn't sound like there's a lot there.
The skeptic in me thinks there could be more to this story than Clemson is willing to share.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The skeptic in me thinks there could be more to this story than Clemson is willing to share.

Perhaps but the guts of the story are coming from the kid/parents. Not from Clem. So you'd think there would be more meat to it, make it more salacious. By comparison to the other stories of coach abuse, this feels really tame.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I obviously don't have any knowledge of the specifics here, but on the surface if it were "widespread" I would expect a bit more smoke to be popping up from other ex players or other sources. Wouldn't surprise me to hear Brownell is more explicit in his feedback than he probably should be but so far that sounds about all.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I obviously don't have any knowledge of the specifics here, but on the surface if it were "widespread" I would expect a bit more smoke to be popping up from other ex players or other sources. Wouldn't surprise me to hear Brownell is more explicit in his feedback than he probably should be but so far that sounds about all.
You might be 100% correct. It could also be the case that Clemson has convinced everyone that it will be best to let this die a quiet death with apologies given and promises to be less explicit in the future. I am not a Brownell fan, so my bias could be influencing my opinion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You might be 100% correct. It could also be the case that Clemson has convinced everyone that it will be best to let this die a quiet death with apologies given and promises to be less explicit in the future. I am not a Brownell fan, so my bias could be influencing my opinion.

I mean I hope it's all that and more comes out, if I'm being honest. Just for the sake of my love for chaos at other places.

Brownell has a really punchable face so I get your bias. :giggle: