Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This is gonna be a pain in our ***.

Pardon my ignorance — I haven’t even been drinking — but I’m confused. I know Indiana hired Coach Ya, and I agree that could be more competition for ATL kids. But folks on here are talking like they hired DLab, too. Did they? And if so, how did they? I thought he was still prohibited from coaching in the NCAA.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pardon my ignorance — I haven’t even been drinking — but I’m confused. I know Indiana hired Coach Ya, and I agree that could be more competition for ATL kids. But folks on here are talking like they hired DLab, too. Did they? And if so, how did they? I thought he was still prohibited from coaching in the NCAA.
DLaB is still on the sidelines doing a variety of other activities. I do think someone will hire him as soon as he's off his show cause.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
He did what he did. I hate to say it with the Ron bell stuff, but he’s not a Pastner guy.

other than sexton, he won’t really hurt us. If so, we can deal with it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He literally beat us out for Collin Sexton. Signed Kira Lewis from the GA Stars.

Your two examples are a guy who committed to Alabama when Rosemond was still on staff at UGA and a guy who was born, raised, and played highschool ball in Alabama.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your two examples are a guy who committed to Alabama when Rosemond was still on staff at UGA and a guy who was born, raised, and played highschool ball in Alabama.

Ah. Got me on Sexton. Fair enough.

Lewis played for GA Stars and that connection matters.

Point remains. These coaches are juiced in to the ATL AAU ecosystem and they'll deliver. Hayes at Xavier, Chad Dollar at Cincinnati, Rosemond at Indiana, McCray at Starkvegas, and CY at FSU. DLaB will probably join this list when his show cause is up.

It's not a coincidence that two of our local 2022 recruits now have Indiana offers. More to come, I'm sure.

It's a pretty standard set-up and it adds one more thorn in our side, locally. It certainly doesn't potentially help us with him moving out of footprint, as you suggest. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty obvious move to wedge Indiana in to the ATL recruiting scene.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ah. Got me on Sexton. Fair enough.

Point remains. These coaches are juiced in to the ATL AAU ecosystem and they'll deliver. Hayes at Xavier, Chad Dollar at Cincinnati, Rosemond at Indiana, McCray at Starkvegas, and CY at FSU. DLaB will probably join this list when his show cause is up.

It's not a coincidence that two of our local 2022 recruits now have Indiana offers. More to come, I'm sure.

It's a pretty standard set-up and it adds one more thorn in our side, locally. It certainly doesn't potentially help us with him moving out of footprint, as you suggest. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty obvious move to wedge Indiana in to the ATL recruiting scene.

There are always going to be connected guys brought into these programs. We're going to have to battle them wherever they go. Gotta compete or we're not going to win. I'd love to see CY come back, but that's not happening. The guys we've got have to get it done or we need to get different guys to get it done.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are always going to be connected guys brought into these programs. We're going to have to battle them wherever they go. Gotta compete or we're not going to win. I'd love to see CY come back, but that's not happening. The guys we've got have to get it done or we need to get different guys to get it done.
And by the way, this isn't meant to knock the job CJP & Coach Swartz are doing. It's just Indiana will be a bigger pain in the *** now than if he was going to UGA or Auburn, which were existing pains in the ***. The pain in our hoops recruiting *** is spreading.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And by the way, this isn't meant to knock the job CJP & Coach Swartz are doing. It's just Indiana will be a bigger pain in the *** now than if he was going to UGA or Auburn, which were existing pains in the ***. The pain in our hoops recruiting *** is spreading.

Yeah that thing's spreading like std's at a UGA bible study.

:sneaky:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Calm down. We'll just get these guy when they transfer after their first year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You're right. I'd just like to start getting them day one. I'm not clamoring for the 5* kids either, I'm talking about us having kids like Jordan, Kyle, & Deivon from day one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

GT bball rebounds (recruits) like Dennis Rodman, baybee.
You're right. I'd just like to start getting them day one. I'm not clamoring for the 5* kids either, I'm talking about us having kids like Jordan, Kyle, & Deivon from day one.

I don't mind it this way. By the time they get here, they're more likely to stay/buy in, no?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Are you doubling down on using a player from the state of Alabama as an example of an ATL kid?

So is Noah Clowney another ATL out of state kid?

Rosemond is a good recruiter and will be a good recruiter for Indiana. And they will still recruit most of their players from the midwest and only occasionally go elsewhere. They aren't going to suddenly make a living recruiting ATL because one, it's a harder pitch regardless of who they have, and two, they have little need. They like Rosemond as a recruiter not because of his regional ties, but because he's a strong recruiter no matter what region he goes to.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are you doubling down on using a player from the state of Alabama as an example of an ATL kid?

Rosemond is a good recruiter and will be a good recruiter for Indiana. And they will still recruit most of their players from the midwest and only occasionally go elsewhere. They aren't going to suddenly make a living recruiting ATL because one, it's a harder pitch regardless of who they have, and two, they have little need. They like Rosemond as a recruiter not because of his regional ties, but because he's a strong recruiter no matter what region he goes to.
If you don't think the connection to ATL was a huge reason for them hiring Rosemond, you're smoking something.

That would have been one of the primary reason for hiring him wherever he landed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you don't think the connection to ATL was a huge reason for them hiring Rosemond, you're smoking something.

That would have been one of the primary reason for hiring him wherever he landed.

I gotta be honest, I'm just enjoying somebody other than me goin at it with dtm. ;)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

There's truth in what you say, he'll probably be a good recruiter regardless. You shouldn't discount how important his ATL ties will come in to play, let alone think him being out of footprint helps us.

Clowney plays for the Atlanta Celtics. If you play for an ATL AAU program, that's where your guidance is more likely to come from during this process.

It's gotta be nice to have an idyllic view of hoops recruiting that doesn't exist.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I gotta be honest, I'm just enjoying somebody other than me goin at it with dtm. ;)
The weird thing is that he's been on this board for so long that he should have learned enough by now about how this stuff works.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does anyone on this board follow recruiting as closely and for as long as dtm?
I didn't think so. I might occasionally disagree with him about a player, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut about the processs.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't think so. I might occasionally disagree with him about a player, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut about the processs.
It's possible Pastner or Swartz follows recruiting more closely, but I doubt it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
7Srvt1.gif

No, I'm kidding. I used to but I retired(ish). I can field all your process questions though just as well as dt can ...
Bill-Murray-Caddyshack.gif