Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

slugboy

Staff member
How good is that Indiana job? Since Knight, a lot of guys have come in and got mired. I wonder if there is some anchor at play there?
Based on what they’re setting up for Mike Woodson, I think they’d have equipped Stevens with at least the same support. He’d have done well.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
How good is that Indiana job? Since Knight, a lot of guys have come in and got mired. I wonder if there is some anchor at play there?
It's one of the top jobs in college basketball. But just like the UCLA job the expectations or very, very high. Conference titles are cool but they want deep tournament runs and national titles

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Plus Connecticut.
Having grown up in Connecticut, I'm gonna give that a big "NO" to it being a basketball state. I'm not sure what kind of state it is, but it's definitely not basketball. UCONN was really good for a generation when Calhoun was there, but beyond that, there's no other basketball to even scoff at. I would say hockey, but we couldn't keep the Whalers. I think maybe sailing or soccer. My hometown was always ranked at the top in the Nation in soccer. Many college soccer programs were filled with kids from Connecticut. Yeah, I'm going with soccer.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Stevens would win any place, if and when he cose to come back to college. But the question is, why didn't Stevens take that big payday? It is considerably more than he is making at Boston.
It's one of the top jobs in college basketball. But just like the UCLA job the expectations or very, very high. Conference titles are cool but they want deep tournament runs and national titles
If that is true, why all the turmoil since Knight left? I mean, if it is such a great job, where are the wins? If it is such a great job, why would an NBA coach getting some heat turn down $70Mil?

I'm just sayin' great job with mounting evidence to the contrary.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Having grown up in Connecticut, I'm gonna give that a big "NO" to it being a basketball state. I'm not sure what kind of state it is, but it's definitely not basketball. UCONN was really good for a generation when Calhoun was there, but beyond that, there's no other basketball to even scoff at. I would say hockey, but we couldn't keep the Whalers. I think maybe sailing or soccer. My hometown was always ranked at the top in the Nation in soccer. Many college soccer programs were filled with kids from Connecticut. Yeah, I'm going with soccer.
When I lived there high school basketball was a big deal. I haven't lived there in a while.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I left around the time Calhoun got started at UCONN, so it's been a while for me too. Basketball was in Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford. Everywhere else it was pretty weak.

If you take the counties Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford are in that has to be at least 3/4 of the population. Bridgeport, in particular, used to produce a lot of good players considering the size of the state.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you take the counties Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford are in that has to be at least 3/4 of the population. Bridgeport, in particular, used to produce a lot of good players considering the size of the state.
I wasn't talking about the counties, I was talking about the cities. Outside of the three main cities in CT, it's all rural(ish). Again, I wouldn't call CT a basketball state. Every state produces decent players, but soccer and lacrosse are much bigger sports in the state than basketball.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't talking about the counties, I was talking about the cities. Outside of the three main cities in CT, it's all rural(ish). Again, I wouldn't call CT a basketball state. Every state produces decent players, but soccer and lacrosse are much bigger sports in the state than basketball.
I went to rural CT high school boy's and girl's basketball games my entire childhood. It does not come close to the fervor I hear states like Indiana do. The games were friends and family of the players and then me and my dad (and we were family when my brother was playing and friends when my babysitter was playing). Very fond memories though, despite any lack of intensity in the gym. I'd wake up every morning before school and read the Hartford Courant for box scores of away games.