Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unless the quality of our play changes significantly, if we don't make the NCAAT this year, it won't be his fault.
Does that get him a pass for a down year next year, which would be somewhat expected given the reduced experience levels?

I don't know.

Deleted member 2897

Does that get him a pass for a down year next year, which would be somewhat expected given the reduced experience levels?

I don't know.

IMHO he should never get a pass. We have to see who comes back and what transfers we might get, but I see no reason to not expect a similar record if not better next year. Our scheduling was disgustingly ridiculous this year. So even if we have experience issues, we should still have a competitive team.

As a freshman, Jose Alvarado averaged 35 minutes a game, shot well from FG and FT, and averaged 12 points a game.
As a freshman, Mike Devoe averaged 30 minutes a game, shot essentially the same from 3pt he does today, and averaged 10 points a game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMHO he should never get a pass. We have to see who comes back and what transfers we might get, but I see no reason to not expect a similar record if not better next year. Our scheduling was disgustingly ridiculous this year. So even if we have experience issues, we should still have a competitive team.

As a freshman, Jose Alvarado averaged 35 minutes a game, shot well from FG and FT, and averaged 12 points a game.
As a freshman, Mike Devoe averaged 30 minutes a game, shot essentially the same from 3pt he does today, and averaged 10 points a game.

We should have a competitive team every year due to the energy Pastner instills in his players.

I agree there are still unknown variables, but if we go by what we know today of next year's roster composition, I'd be hesitant of expecting a similar or better record.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I don't think it would get him a pass, but with how slow GT is to pull the trigger once its obvious it will need to be done, I do think it'd let him survive a down next year unless it's a disaster.

as far as next year with reduced experience levels often fans will talk about how a team can improve but the record stay similar because the schedule gets harder, but next year could be the opposite for us. We could take a step back and still find ourselves in a similar situation.

There are a couple reasons I say that.

1- avoiding the bad losses early. Even with a step back and less experience, we could very easily avoid those types of games.

2 - A step back could come in the form of being less competitive in games we lose while not taking a step back in losing extra games. Most of our losses this year have come in competitive games against the top half of the ACC. In the grand scheme of things if we lose by 12 to UVA instead of 2 it doesn't really change a whole lot. We're likely to be less consistent next year due to inexperience. We just need that inconsistency to hit in a way that isn't losing a bunch of close games by playing well and losing against good teams and bad and losing against bad teams.

3 - more friendly schedule in conference. We've played 14 conference games. 9 of those against teams in the top 6. In total we'll have played 11/16 games against the teams in the ACC with winning records currently. I don't know the rotation and obviously which teams are at the top changes year to year, but that balance should shift and see us with more opportunities against the more flawed teams.

Next year I we still have a good amount of experience. We very well might start 2 seniors and 2 juniors. They won't have the same level of experience that guys like Moses and Jose have but that's normal for programs that aren't recovering from dumpsterfire territory like we were the first few years under Pastner. And while we'll be younger, I think we'll have more raw talent overall, and the team composition (of who is actually playing) will probably be better with hopefully a true shot blocking center and more size overall being advantages for next year compared to this.

Deleted member 2897

We should have a competitive team every year due to the energy Pastner instills in his players.

I agree there are still unknown variables, but if we go by what we know today of next year's roster composition, I'd be hesitant of expecting a similar or better record.

Here's why I make that expectation though - our schedule this year was extremely overweighted on the top teams due to canceled games. eg UAB, NC State, Boston College, Boston College. We might finish 10-7 in the ACC this year and 14-9 overall. Playing a normal full schedule next year (which is an assumption for sure), finishing a few games over 0.500 in the ACC (like 11-9) and 5 games over 0.500 overall (like 19-14) is my expectation.

By comparison, Syracuse has played 9 games against the bottom of the league this year and we have played 3. Imagine if we had our next year's roster this year and we played BC twice, Wake Forest twice, and Miami twice what our record would be like. What I'm saying is we should still be able to beat teams like that next year despite being young. I certainly realize there are risks to that happening though for sure.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Somebody is going to take a flyer on Pitino. Doubt it will be BC but that would be fun to watch if they did.

One piece of "data". When BC fired their coach, the next morning Wes said on his show that "sources" were telling him that BC was committing to spend the funds - salary and facilities - to be "competitive in the basketball business". Pitino would definitely make them competitive though it doesn't fit their MO. They did make a really nice hire in FB so I am curious to see who they bring in for BB.