Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haters will say they're waiting for our boosters to foot the bill like they do at SEC schools.

Deleted member 2897

My god.
Seven year tenure at .371

That is either a cash strapped program or they don't care

Like 2 or 3 years ago I looked up all their major sports programs (football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis) - they were at or right at the bottom of the ACC in like every sport but 1.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We finished 5th last year, not 4 years ago. And that was the first better than 0.500 conference finish in like 20 years.
In a perfectly ideal situation, is Josh my number one choice? No

But I like him as a coach, I think he's growing into a better and better coach each season. It also helps to have CER as he can contribute allot of meaningful advice backed by plenty of experience. Recruiting seems so be heading in the right direction as well.

Now to rephrase the first question, in Tech's current situation, and situation at the time of hire, was CJP my number one choice? He was top of the list based on what we could afford. I thought of him as a project coach at the time of hiring and I think things are heading in the right direction. I'm glad he will have plenty of time to get things right for Tech basketball.

Deleted member 2897

Coaches on the hot seat
Leitao,Pitino,Weber,Pastner,Prohm

another totally idiotic analysis. Predicting we aren’t going to the NCAAT when all the metrics disagree. And when they say that we’ve only finished in the top half of the ACC wants, they fail to provide context that it was last year and 5th place. And we’re trending the same, despite terrible scheduling issues with missed games against bad teams.

When he interviewed, our program was in such a bad shape that they told him to expect to go winless in year one and only win three games and year two. We have by far the most talent we’ve had in a long time right now, and have even more coming in next year.

Poor journalism.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
another totally idiotic analysis. Predicting we aren’t going to the NCAAT when all the metrics disagree. And when they say that we’ve only finished in the top half of the ACC wants, they fail to provide context that it was last year and 5th place. And we’re trending the same, despite terrible scheduling issues with missed games against bad teams.

When he interviewed, our program was in such a bad shape that they told him to expect to go winless in year one and only win three games and year two. We have by far the most talent we’ve had in a long time right now, and have even more coming in next year.

Poor journalism.
I agree completely with your statement, except that I still believe that Duke is a "must-win" game for us to get into the NCAA's.
But that's just me. Otherwise, you are correct...poor journalism. Plus, I don't know when that was written, but we are playing well right now, and are definitely 'on the bubble', which we haven't been until this year....so, why would they conclude he's on the hot seat? Even I (one of the greatest Pastner skeptics) am impressed by our recent play and late season surge.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Poor journalism.

The last sentence of the Pastner blurb is confusing.

Does 2021 mean the coaching carousel following this season or needing to out up results in the 2021-2022 season?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The last sentence of the Pastner blurb is confusing.

Does 2021 mean the coaching carousel following this season or needing to out up results in the 2021-2022 season?

I read it as the latter. "A change isn't imminent", but if he doesn't make the dance, then his seat will be very warm going into next season.

/

Deleted member 2897

I read it as the latter. "A change isn't imminent", but if he doesn't make the dance, then his seat will be very warm going into next season.

/

Unless the quality of our play changes significantly, if we don't make the NCAAT this year, it won't be his fault.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Looks like those selections were made on tuesday (based on the guy saying he made the choice before the KSU OU game) fwiw. I'm not surprised at that take at that time of assuming we'd miss the NCAAT.

Regardless that's one of those "I'm looking for some key indicators and this guy seems to fit" take. A p5 coach missing the NCAAT 5 years in a row is usually going to go into year 6 on the hot seat . Regardless if you think they should have or not this year. Especially with an AD who didn't hire him.

However, its an analysis that doesn't take into consideration what was inherited, the trajectory of the program (likely first back to back winning conference records in 30 years), or recent recruiting improvements. With GT's history of being slow to make changes, I would expect Pastner to get two more years almost regardless of what happens this year and barring complete disaster next year. However, missing the NCAAT this year and a worse than expected performance next year could see him in the same position that Hewitt and Gregory found themselves in their last years as basically being dead men walking.