Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not a tournament team and never was going to be a tournament team. College basketball is about guard play. You need 3 things from your guards.
1. The ability to shoot well.
2. Don't turn the ball over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Have the ability to create your own shot and if not there distribute the ball effectively.

1. We can't shoot. Couldn't shoot last year either so even with Jose it doesn't really matter. Parham was brought in to be a shooter. That hasn't worked out. Price was signed because he could supposedly shoot well. He's struggled as a freshman.
2. We turn the ball over like it's a hot potato. It's inexcusable and both coaches and players are to blame.
3. Devoe has had some success creating his own shot but that's it. He got hot for a few games and now has gone in the tank. It's pretty simple. Lock him down defensively and we have no answer. No one else on this team can consistently create their own shot and knock it down. No one!!!!!

PG, SG and SF spots have got to be able to shoot well, not turn it over and create. It's just not there and barring a miraculous turn of events it's not going to change. We should drop the appeal of the post season ban now. Until we recruit better at the guard position we'll never get out for this hole we've been in for seemingly ever. Pastner was hired primarily because of his reputation as a recruiter. Setting him up at an ACC school in a hotbed of high 4 star and 5 star talent like Atlanta should be working but it's not. He has failed miserably at recruiting and in particular recruiting guards and the results on the floor reflect that. What looked like a surprisingly fairly well coached team his first year has evolved into a very poorly coached team the last two years. Get old and stay old is a nice theory on paper but unless you're getting old and staying old with talented players (particularly guards) it's all just empty slogans and wasted time.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
For the people tied in more with the behind the scenes: are we actually too broke to fire Pastner? I'm not being dramatic or trying to pile on, but if there's hope for a coaching change I think I can still find enjoyment in watching some of these guys decelop through the season as players. If we're stuck with CJP next year its really going to be hard for me to put myself through this for a season, because I feel like any progress will be for naught. Someone tell me if I should just come back next year when we know we have a new coach coming in for 21-22.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
With all of this talk of Hewitt.....TStan. might need to put Dwayne Morrison on speed dial.
I’ll stop now. Otherwise my invite to the Swarm Christmas Party will be revoked.

techfan1310

Georgia Tech Fan
Stansbury really has to nail this hire if we let Pastner go. Someone needs to make this program relevant again. There’s no reason we should have to offer free doughnuts and raffles to get people/students into games. There’s no reason we should not have had a shot with Anthony Edwards. There’s no reason we should lose games to Grambling State, Wright State, Gardner Web and Ball State. We need a coach. Whose the guy?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I have sent my email to the AD and will continue sending emails until I get a response. I will copy and paste my email here in anyone is interested, but I implore you all to blow up the AD's email as I have...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
For the people tied in more with the behind the scenes: are we actually too broke to fire Pastner? I'm not being dramatic or trying to pile on, but if there's hope for a coaching change I think I can still find enjoyment in watching some of these guys decelop through the season as players. If we're stuck with CJP next year its really going to be hard for me to put myself through this for a season, because I feel like any progress will be for naught. Someone tell me if I should just come back next year when we know we have a new coach coming in for 21-22.

The issue isn't getting rid of Pastner. The issue is getting a quality replacement.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue isn't getting rid of Pastner. The issue is getting a quality replacement.

As much as I would like a quality replacement, any replacement would have me more excited for the next couple of seasons. I can at least lie to myself that we're building something and we need more time etc etc. It's too hard to watch the jackets play knowing I have another season of this next year. It is the depths of hopelessness for me as a fan.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
To add to the doom and gloom that’s been contributed to this thread. It was made a point after the UGA loss that it wasn’t even an important game, and that there were 20 more important ones. I’d argue now that there’s only 1 game left in the season thats important... Morehouse. It may be the only other game this team has a chance to win unless it gets reinvigorated in Hawaii somehow. Of all the reasons to get rid of CJP, I think him losing the team is the biggest. Poor offensive strategy and missed shots can be overlooked as player failure, getting out-rebounded, routinely shooting 50-60% from the FT line, turning the ball over 24 times against a MAC team, that’s inexcusable and a lack of discipline and effort.

Some ranks of this CJP teams out of 350 D1 teams
Free throw % - 347th (57.6%)
Turnovers per game - 341st (17.4)
Rebound margin - 238th (-0.8 per game)
Assist to turnover ratio - 276th (0.82)
3 point % - 307th (29.1%)
Personal fouls per game - 266th (18.8)
It’s unacceptable to be in the bottom 1/3 (in some cases the bottom 1/6) in so many categories, many of them that rely on discipline.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As much as I would like a quality replacement, any replacement would have me more excited for the next couple of seasons. I can at least lie to myself that we're building something and we need more time etc etc. It's too hard to watch the jackets play knowing I have another season of this next year. It is the depths of hopelessness for me as a fan.

A third straight underwhelming (to understate it) hire wouldn't generate any excitement for me. If anything it would make me lose a lot of interest. I'd much rather keep Pastner, hope he has an emphinay, and if not have a good coaching search rather than have a rerun of the last 2 and be looking at groundhogs day for the next 4 years.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess it will take empty seats and total apathy to change coaches. Students will quit going as they will pick studying over watching a loss. The alums will quit buying tickets and stop donating until it's over. He is being schooled by their coach.

Empty seats will make no difference. The place is always embarrassingly empty.