Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I may be missing someone in my memory banks but right now there really isn't a huge UNC coaching tree out there. So if they want to stay in the UNC tree then Hubert makes as much sense as anyone I can think of off the top.

Hubert would be an excellent Guthridge. Scapegoat to fail in the legend's shadow so the guy they really want doesn't catch that burden.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
Hubert would be an excellent Guthridge. Scapegoat to fail in the legend's shadow so the guy they really want doesn't catch that burden.
I was thinking the same thing. Next guy will just be a Gut/Doherty.

I'd heard good things about King Rice. And there's Jerry Stackhouse.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, not sure if any of our fans have been paying attention, but it's not like we're in a position to call anyone failures...
What? Whaddya mean? Didn't we just play for a national championship?
I mean, it was sometime recent, right? Just yesterday...

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I always like Gut. Nice man. (His daughter went to same high school I did so we saw him as a dad rather than a coach.).

he inherited a loaded squad for his first year (Jamison, Vince, Cota, Jamison, Shammond, Okulaja with Haywood joining as a fresh). They went to final four the year before. I think I could’ve done well with that team and I am not a D1 coach.
Second year, they had all the key guys back and were upset by Weber State. His third year, the recruiting issues started to catch up. Worst regular season in more than a decade (18-13) but caught fire and made the final four.
I think he knew it was time and he gracefully stepped aside. Then the Doherty dumpster fire happened

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I always like Gut. Nice man. (His daughter went to same high school I did so we saw him as a dad rather than a coach.).

he inherited a loaded squad for his first year (Jamison, Vince, Cota, Jamison, Shammond, Okulaja with Haywood joining as a fresh). They went to final four the year before. I think I could’ve done well with that team and I am not a D1 coach.
Second year, they had all the key guys back and were upset by Weber State. His third year, the recruiting issues started to catch up. Worst regular season in more than a decade (18-13) but caught fire and made the final four.
I think he knew it was time and he gracefully stepped aside. Then the Doherty dumpster fire happened
This is exactly right.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's nuts that Pastner is still the youngest coach yet he has 11 years head coaching experience.
Also, I didn't realize Mack was that young. Man I wish we could have landed him a while back

So do I. He was #1 on my list and MBob did reach on to him but he had no interest in GT. He was only leaving his job for more of a blue blood type position.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Shows how thin the coaching tree at UNC is at the moment. But still a top level job so they will have some elite options. I don't see another Daugherty fiasco and Bubba Cunningham isn't a UNC homer. Probably right it won't be an in house hire unless Roy stays 3-4 more years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke is in better shape to replace K. Several good head coaches in the ranks. I don't think it will be Capel. Hurley Dawkins Amaker Collins. UNC not so much.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Imagine having the budget to have a special assistant/recruiting coordinator in hoops. Ah, to dream of the day. (Kentucky has always had this type of budget & position)