Coaching and AD carousel, Football Edition

slugboy

Staff member
The Lincoln Riley move injected a big dose of chaos into other coaching searches, and could dislodge some big name coaches elsewhere, causing new job openings, and so on.

SI wrote up a little listicle on it at https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/...-to-usc-impacts-the-coaching-carousel-options. One obstacle to some hires is buyouts of around $10 million, which they call “sizeable”. Our buyout is larger than that, of course.

USA Today sees South Carolina’s Shane Beamer in the mix, and Venables too: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-who-could-replace-lincoln-riley/8790364002/

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Lincoln Riley move injected a big dose of chaos into other coaching searches, and could dislodge some big name coaches elsewhere, causing new job openings, and so on.

SI wrote up a little listicle on it at https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/...-to-usc-impacts-the-coaching-carousel-options. One obstacle to some hires is buyouts of around $10 million, which they call “sizeable”. Our buyout is larger than that, of course.
Sounds like there will be at least two more earth-shaking, big-splash moves. It also made me realize that Tech might be setting its sights too low. There are some interesting prospects out there who might even come to Tech for the right price.

But, yeah, there is that “sizable” roadblock right now.

slugboy

Staff member
Manny Diaz is still on the hot seat, but he’s getting the benefit of the doubt from Hale because it’s “just three years, and last year was COVID”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t followed Manny closely at all. The rationale for keeping him sounds familiar. I would want to know 6 things:

1. How does he manage the clock?
2. Is he good at getting substitutes in and out of a game?
3. What is his ratio of penalties compared to opponents?
4. How is the kicking game?
5. Does he prepare good game plans for specific opponents?
6. Does he consistently win against light weight opponents that should be easy wins?

Like I say, I know little about his record at Miami other than the obvious but the “only 3 years” argument makes sense if there is a reasonably favorable answer to those 6 questions.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SEC West Coaches:

Alabma: Nick Saban
LSU: Brian Kelly
Ole Miss: Lane Kiffen
Miss St: Mike Leach
Texas A&M: Jimbo Fisher
Auburn: Brian Hairsin
Arkansas: Sam Pittman

Techster

Helluva Engineer
$$$$

He won't last 5 yrs there but he'll make 3x the money

He'll be fine. Kelly's problem in playoffs was that he didn't have the athletes on defense that schools like 'Bama/Clemson/UGA/Ohio State had.

At LSU and in Louisiana, those kids he had a hard time recruiting at ND grow up dreaming about playing for LSU. IMO, LSU is probably the second best team in the West behind 'Bama with this hire, and the 3rd best team overall in the SEC behind UGA and Bama. It will be interesting to see how Kelly fares against Saban with the talent he'll be able to attract at LSU. He's already retaining two of LSU's assistants that are very good recruiters.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You could have a decent team and go 0-6 in the SEC West.

The least accomplished coach, Sam Pittman, went 8-4 last season, and 4-4 in the conference.

Probably the best collection of coaching talent for any division in college football.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When your coach, who gets paid $3+ million, gets his @ss handed to him by a coach who leaves his school for this:

Geez, coaching in college football has become a generational wealth occupation.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm OK with the SEC schools eventually bankrupting each other over coaching salaries.
Of all places with money issues lol LSU

This hire gonna shut the school down forever

Imagine draining your academic endowment to get 2nd to Bama

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL...

"Guys, not only am I leaving, but I'm going to need you to wake up at 6:30am to make a 7am meeting so I can personally tell you I'm ditching everyone right before our playoff game...oh, and I'm $15 million/year richer!!!!"