Coaching and AD carousel, Football Edition

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
SoCal to Statesboro...wow
GSU better have another candidate lined up and waiting because if he's able to make them competitive again he's gone to the first big job that comes calling

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps it is a reflection of my upbringing but count me in that group of people that sees this as an upgrade. Maybe not in FB terms but in quality of life.
Explain plz, because 4.5 million dollars a year can give you a good quality of life virtually anywhere. $4.5 million in LA to $800K in Statesboro an upgrade? Make it make sense, I've never been to either place so maybe I'm missing something

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Explain plz, because 4.5 million dollars a year can give you a good quality of life virtually anywhere. $4.5 million in LA to $800K in Statesboro an upgrade? Make it make sense, I've never been to either place so maybe I'm missing something
In general, I do not like large cities. I haven't been in LA enough to have real data, but from the outside looking in (plus it's overall size and rep for horrible traffic) I will take Statesboro. Given the fact he has already made his bankroll out in LA he will be set up well given that he is "only" making $800k. :) looks like a win-win to me. However, I see that more people to choose in large cities than in the cities I have moved to throughout my life so I understand the appeal to most people. Actually it was going to school in ATL that made me realize that it was a great city to live in as a college student but it was not my thing long term. Again, it doesn't mean that it it is NOT a great choice for others.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In general, I do not like large cities. I haven't been in LA enough to have real data, but from the outside looking in (plus it's overall size and rep for horrible traffic) I will take Statesboro. Given the fact he has already made his bankroll out in LA he will be set up well given that he is "only" making $800k. :) looks like a win-win to me. However, I see that more people to choose in large cities than in the cities I have moved to throughout my life so I understand the appeal to most people. Actually it was going to school in ATL that made me realize that it was a great city to live in as a college student but it was not my thing long term. Again, it doesn't mean that it it is NOT a great choice for others.

I was confused by your comment too, so thanks for elaborating. I'd probably prefer Statesboro ... if it were near a city. The fact that it's in the middle of bum-funk nowhere is a deal-breaker for me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Statesboro is a long way from anything and not exactly a cultural Mecca. Haven’t been there in quite a few years but they did have “the world’s worst apple pie.” Never been to LA but hear that next to Atlanta and Houston has the country’s worst traffic. Hear the weather is nice and mountains and beaches are close.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I was confused by your comment too, so thanks for elaborating. I'd probably prefer Statesboro ... if it were near a city. The fact that it's in the middle of bum-funk nowhere is a deal-breaker for me.
30 min from SAV is not bum funk. Folks say they live in ATL, but takes them an hour, non rush hour time, to get anywhere. TOE MAY TOE -TA MAH TOE

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
30 min from SAV is not bum funk. Folks say they live in ATL, but takes them an hour, non rush hour time, to get anywhere. TOE MAY TOE -TA MAH TOE
If you can get from Statesboro to Savannah in 30 minutes you are averaging about 100 mph, my friend. It always took me about an hour and ten minutes to make that drive.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the good people of Statesboro but it is a cultural wasteland unless you are a South Georgia native.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

30minutes? Dayum. What are you driving, Doc Brown? A Delorean? ;)

Also, and this may upset some, I don't look at Savannah and think "big city". I know, I know. I'm a city snob. It's my lot in life. :confused:

slugboy

Staff member
Harsh write up on Frost and Nebraska, but the lede is buried in a later paragraph—with LSU and USC and some other schools open and more potentially opening up, this is not the year for Nebraska to hold a coaching search.

slugboy

Staff member
Washington Huskies coach out after 13 games. How many organizations hire or promote well?

GE, once the darling of business magazines and MBA case studies for management and leadership excellence, announced that they’re breaking up this week.
USC looked like they were overdue in firing Kiffin, and he had a bad reputation after that. He had a turn as Alabama’s OC and then HC at FAU, while Alabama fans said good riddance. He’s a star at Ole Miss now.
Scott Frost was a no brainer at Nebraska. Now, he’s considered an albatross.
When Mack Brown was re-hired at UNC, he was too old, and people laughed. When this season started, he was a recruiting genius and the team was a dark horse playoff team. Now, he’s too old again.
Sark was a “smart money” hire at Texas before the season. Now people are wondering if he was a mistake.

Are ADs smart, or are they lucky?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are ADs smart, or are they lucky?

This is what scares me abut the "let's fire so and so" mobs. Far too often,the whole process IS (or appears to be) a crap shoot. ALL of the candidates are usually "highly recommended" and endorsed and probably do know more about the game than the people who hire them. But, and it happens far too often, it DOES appear to be a role of the dice decision. See both UT's, FSU, Miami and Nebraska as examples. I think many of us here had to hire and fire people. I would venture to say we always ended better off. Pehaps the variables were more controllable in the environments we worked in. And thus we begin to think our experience must be universal. But in the high $ world of college athletics, that isn't always the case. (I offer CPJ and his DC's as further proof - we churned through those guys without any significant changes to our program. We were what we were. And yes, that is better than where we are now but that does not change the argument).

Not to say that firing isn't always necessary. I am starting to believe that we are at that point with our defensive staff at a minimum. But to see it as a panacea is wrong and the "it can't be any worse" mindset is very naive (and expensive).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is what scares me abut the "let's fire so and so" mobs. Far too often,the whole process IS (or appears to be) a crap shoot. ALL of the candidates are usually "highly recommended" and endorsed and probably do know more about the game than the people who hire them. But, and it happens far too often, it DOES appear to be a role of the dice decision. See both UT's, FSU, Miami and Nebraska as examples. I think many of us here had to hire and fire people. I would venture to say we always ended better off. Pehaps the variables were more controllable in the environments we worked in. And thus we begin to think our experience must be universal. But in the high $ world of college athletics, that isn't always the case. (I offer CPJ and his DC's as further proof - we churned through those guys without any significant changes to our program. We were what we were. And yes, that is better than where we are now but that does not change the argument).

Not to say that firing isn't always necessary. I am starting to believe that we are at that point with our defensive staff at a minimum. But to see it as a panacea is wrong and the "it can't be any worse" mindset is very naive (and expensive).

Can we plaster this on the board? Like each thread or something? Can we make it one of those annoying pop-ups that you have to click before entering?

These are some of the most salient words ever spoken on the subject.

Nobody's happy with our situation but that doesn't mean a firing is the cure-all. More often than not .. I repeat .. more often than not, you're just importing a different problem and paying a hefty price to do so. Does that mean you should be scared to make a change? Heck, no. But it means you have to move based on a process, not emotion - which is all we as fans are basing our feelings on.

People act like the LSU's and Texas's and USC's of the world aren't out here missing out on their top candidates every year. You think GT is gonna land their a-1 candidate if we make a change? No, we're gonna end up with a guy likely 6 or 7 names down the list.

So all these people with the typical "oh we'll just hire (insert hot-shot assistant) and go bowlin' in year 1" nonsense need to wise up.
It's more like, "oh we were gonna hire this guy, but his agent was just using us to get an extension, so we moved on to this guy who turned us down to go to this factory, then we pivoted to this other dude that pulled out last minute, but it's ok 'cause we ended up with this other dude who we needed to pay a 7-figure buyout to get him even though his current job really wanted to fire him."

Try to say that "sentence" in one breath. But that's the most likely scenario.

And it's not defeatist or 'woe is Tech' thinking. That's what happens to the Texas's of the world nowadays. What in the actual F do people think it'll be different for us? Only difference is we're offering far less money than them places.

Are people sure a firing is a step in the right direction? I don't think they're thinking this thing past, "AhIhateCGCsoIwannafire'im!"

It's like a friggin dog chasin' a car. What TF is he gonna do if he ever catches one? He's got no idea.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Thank you for this. We have people on here that grew up playing madden and believe when you run a post route it hits, because they just use turbo if the sim is lagging..

Coaching is a wild profession, and at the college level is even more so. Boosters, fans, ADs and current players/future recruits create a cluster of priorities and challenges you don't have at any other level. HS and the NFL generally are smoother deltas between talent team to team than NCAA Div 1. The roster at a Bama/uGag/Clemson/ND is so significantly different than the programs outside the top 20.

People calling for patience with CGC see that. I admit fully he hurts himself with many of his constituency by repeating the same trope without any seeming acceptance of reality as we sit today:
  • The output of his program has been bad.
  • He took some unnecessary shots at the previous regime (who many whether they liked the option or not understood CPJ made the break up as easy as possible).
  • His insistence on playing guys despite clear lack of fit in role (some of our DBs should be LBs; and CBs should be at S for example)
  • He comes across as a whiner, always pointing to "circumstances" outside the program's (Read his) control without identifying what is causing the trend of D getting worse, O having no consistency, play calling being suspect and time management being woefully lacking.
However; I have low confidence we can pay him out and get an upgrade (snark not withstanding we could absolutely be worse.. While the on field product has been terrible, we are somehow holding and acquiring standout talent at positions. There is still a path where we go into the off season, sign some more guys and bring in some more beef on the lines, and all of a sudden look much better next year. We DO NOT HAVE the line play on either side of the ball to be arguing about schemes and plays. The foundation is bad and until that is fixed there isn't much we can do to window dress that.

On O Coach made a choice to run a scheme dependent on Line play which our roster was ill equipped to roll out. We are slowly seeing flashes, and I agree with some on here that I would like to see our play call strategy improve in the offseason but don't think we need to flush CDP. MAYBE try to bring in a QB Coach, but other than that I think our problems start with and primarily come from the guys on the OLine.

On D.. Well.. I just.. Yeah I don't have a good look answer here. Our seemingly decade long lack of war daddies is coming to a slow end, Biggers is looking legit IMHO and if we can score one more guy there we might be able to get some pressure from the front set. I read many on here saying they think the back end issues are guys playing out of position trying to heroball their way to a win (I buy this completely, but don't really understand our guys assignments there well enough to definitively judge it on my own). We do often have guys out of position though, that I can see for sure. I think* that comes from guys pressing since no one likes losing and the lack of pressure up front. Also fairly certain guys playing out of their natural physical fit shows up here as well.

I don't know what the answer for the D side is. I would like to see us play more man and bring pressure with 5 more often, but there are a lot of areas of concern there. I like CAT, and the guys seem to like him, he speaks intelligently in the pressers and seems to honestly reflect on our issues. I just don't know why we haven't sat some of the dudes not getting it done at spots which appear deeper than we play on the roster.

The ATL philosophy has completely rubbed me wrong given some of the guys playing. I don't have the $$ to fund an overhaul so I will keep donating to the fund to help with whatever else our options are.

*Wish, hope, pray and beg

slugboy

Staff member