Coach Thacker on JOL TV

TECH_Veteran85

Georgia Tech Fan
basically what I gather is that 1. They are not set on one scheme (which is contrary to CGC's press conference today) and 2. It seems that CGC basically runs the defense.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how good of coach Thacker is, but I was much more impressed with his interview than I was with Nate Woody's introductory press conference. He seems to be a very knowledgeable, high energy guy. Time will tell how well he can recruit and coach at this level.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Scheme is good. But talent trumps all. There’s a reason you see the same ten teams highly ranked every year.

I read an interesting analysis that said, basically ... winning percentage is largely driven by the ratio of 4/5 stars to total recruits. Alabama's ratio is around 75% (if memory serves) ... so if you are not getting the 4/5's, you sure as heck better have one helluva development program.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting analysis that said, basically ... winning percentage is largely driven by the ratio of 4/5 stars to total recruits. Alabama's ratio is around 75% (if memory serves) ... so if you are not getting the 4/5's, you sure as heck better have one helluva development program.
I mean didn't 2010 Auburn show once and for all that you can go further with elite talent and poor coach than elite coaching with poor talent?

TECH_Veteran85

Georgia Tech Fan

Or is it the recruits are being rated 4-5 stars because they are being recruited by these winning programs?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Haven't had time to watch it yet, but here's the link. I assume it will work......

Love the final part, that’s the main thing I like in coordinators: run your scheme but don’t be too married to alignment or personnel groups. Let the talent guide your groupings and maximize your 11 on the field.
Sounds like Collins is hands on during planning but Thacker is the play caller. Very deferential to Coach Collins, as he should be.

All in all, seems like a humble guy that gets after it. Besides the existential crisis that this is the first Tech coach younger than me, I’m excited to see what he can do.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I also really liked hearing he would be in favor of using prior terminology going forward if it helped the players better grasp things. Many coaches are not so flexible.