Coach Ratface farewell tour

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You are whining! We are a foul prone team. Take out the Duke game and we still foul way more than we get fouled. That is our issue not an issue with refs. Move you feet, Duke is excellent doing that, we are not. It is both an athletic ability shortcoming and a coaching issue with our team.
I have lived near Duke since graduating from GT and been to lots of games there over the years even during Bill Foster years. Duke coaches on how to create fouls and get to the line. Coach K has a goal for his team to make more free throws than the opponent shoots. Also gets opponent players in foul trouble and they can't be as aggressive.
It was interesting watching Saba shooting 3 or 4 feet out rather than taking it strong to the basket over a shorter defender. Even if blocked more likely to get fouled.
The way Moore started the game offensively I thought he was going to have a big night but he got his 3rd foul before half and Devoe took over in the second half.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the last 200 games or so (to get a statistically relevant sample), I believe you would find a perfect correlation between GT losses and whiny board posts about officiating. Sadly, the team this year is reliant on perimeter shooters as it's primary scoring threat. That doesn't generate many foul calls. Usher is our only driving threat and he hasn't proven reliable in terms of drawing contact and playing through it. If Armando Bacot gets the ball on the block, he's going to score or get fouled (or both) 70% of the time. We don't have that kind of player this year. Last year Moses took 111 FTs (1 per 8 minutes). Jose was a really effective penetrator and took 80 FTs (1 per 12 minutes).

Through 13 games this year, Devoe is ahead of last year's pace (1 per 7 minutes vs 1 per 11 mins) and Usher (1 per 11 minutes vs 1 per 14 mins), reflecting their increase utilization. problem is the rest of the team is anemic at drawing contact. (1 FTA per 18 mins for the entire rest of the roster)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So you agree that a difference of 40-12 seems logical?
I agree that Duke is a much more athletic team with scorers who can penetrate effectively which leads to more fouls. I agree that Tech does not have a reliable rim protector who can defend the paint without consistently fouling like we have in the past. I agree that when you don’t even come close to putting a true 5 on the floor and you’re playing against a team who has much more size, and who’s size is extremely athletic, you’ll probably foul them more. Is 40-12 very one sided? Yeah, but so was the game and the flow of the game. If it was 34-18 would it really be that much different? Doubtful.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is 40-12 very one sided? Yeah, but so was the game and the flow of the game.
Maybe we have a different definition of one sided when referring to the game itself. Duke lead by six at with 3 minutes left in the game. At home. With a 40-12 FT advantage. We had more FGs and threes than Duke. They killed us on the boards, but we had only 9 turnovers. Except for the rebounding and FT advantage we played pretty even with the best team in the country for most of the game. Duke is doing to beat almost everyone on their schedule by more than 12.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we have a different definition of one sided when referring to the game itself. Duke lead by six at with 3 minutes left in the game. At home. With a 40-12 FT advantage. We had more FGs and threes than Duke.
Duke shot a higher percentage from the field and from 3

Except for the rebounding and FT advantage
Yeah, that’s expected to happen when the biggest guy you put on the door to start the game is 6’8 and has played sparingly over 2 years, and your “center” off the bench averages 1.8/2.6/0.4. And wouldn’t you know it, the 2 biggest guys on their starting lineup pulled down 25 of their rebounds, and Banchero shot 16 free throws. Why? Because we don’t have anyone big enough or athletic enough to guard him without fouling.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Just because we foul does not mean the other team doesn't foul.
27-14 foul differential. About 3 of ours were late game fouls that were semi intentional so the real delta is about 24-14. That seems about right from the game I watched on replay. The only egregious foul I saw was the block on Meka. Missing one call badly a game is more than reasonable. Fouling is a GT Team issue that has hurt us all year both putting the opponent on the FT line as well as putting our players on the bench.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
our biggest problem is our 5 can't do anything on offense. duke was daring the 5 to take a shot.