Coach Ratface farewell tour

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
No, just refs kissing a$$. How about the blocking foul on Meka against ranchero? That was a charge in anybody’s book. Meka was set up and camped out overnight before ranchero crashed into him.
Sure there’s a few that are bad calls, and Devoe isn’t getting a lot of calls on offense. On defense though, there are a few guys who refuse to move their feet.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think your missing the point. Half of the whistles weren’t actually fouls.
You get beat on the drive, go up and hammer him on the easy lay-in or dunk -- that's a foul. That happened every possession. It's not really anybody's fault, we just got out-talented by several of the most elite college hoops players in the country. A good chunk of their team could have skipped college and would be competitive in the NBA right now if they had that option.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
You get beat on the drive, go up and hammer him on the easy lay-in or dunk -- that's a foul. That happened every possession. It's not really anybody's fault, we just got out-talented by several of the most elite college hoops players in the country. A good chunk of their team could have skipped college and would be competitive in the NBA right now if they had that option.
I have no problem with a hard foul to prevent an easy layup, and I’m well aware that they have at least 2 or 3 times the talent on their roster that we have on ours, but what I saw was an egregious number of weak a$$ fouls or outright phantom fouls called one way and not the other. Are you kidding me? Am I just wearing my gold colored glasses? The level of bull$**t from these officials for that cry baby b!tch ratface was indefensible.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with a hard foul to prevent an easy layup, and I’m well aware that they have at least 2 or 3 times the talent on their roster that we have on ours, but what I saw was an egregious number of weak a$$ fouls or outright phantom fouls called one way and not the other. Are you kidding me? Am I just wearing my gold colored glasses? The level of bull$**t from these officials for that cry baby b!tch ratface was indefensible.
No, you’re right. I rarely ever complain about officiating but tonight was horrendous. I will say, Pastner being on the court essentially trapping Panchero was wrong and we’d be upset if the roles were reversed.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
No, you’re right. I rarely ever complain about officiating but tonight was horrendous. I will say, Pastner being on the court essentially trapping Panchero was wrong and we’d be upset if the roles were reversed.
Pastner on the court is pretty funny. He does it constantly. I think it’s one of his quirky calling cards. I don’t mind it, but at the same time, if he gets steamrolled by a player or gets a technical foul, then he had it coming. Did you see the time tonight when he actually put his hand on one of our players ( I think it was Bubba) and kinda gave him a push as if to say “go that way” during live action? Another time, he was across half court practically in ratface’s coaching box.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pastner on the court is pretty funny. He does it constantly. I think it’s one of his quirky calling cards. I don’t mind it, but at the same time, if he gets steamrolled by a player or gets a technical foul, then he had it coming. Did you see the time tonight when he actually put his hand on one of our players ( I think it was Bubba) and kinda gave him a push as if to say “go that way” during live action? Another time, he was across half court practically in ratface’s coaching box.

I also saw Ratty on the court during action on their side. And I can unequivocally say I did not not want to see him get absolutely blindsided by an errant pass or a live body. :confused:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Not sure if this link will work or not but it definitely makes it look like it was Ratface that made the mistake.
An opposing coach should never talk to a player. I was at an ACC Tournament about 20 years ago and Dean Smith thought it would be a good idea to go after a Clemson player and Rick Barnes (Clemson Coach) got in Dean's face and explained how things work. The entire coliseum, including the Duke section was against Dean.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach K wins because of free throw disparity. It has been this way for over 20 years. Take this year -

Game 1 vs. Kentucky. UK had 7 attempts. Duke had 23. Duke wins by 8.
Vs. Gonzaga. Duke had 25 attempts. Gonzaga had 11. Duke wins by 3.

I could go on but the stats are there for all to see. But no one in the media will bring it up because they don’t want to lose access. Out of 13 games this season Duke has more free throw attempts in 11 of those. 1 was South Carolina State which they didn’t need them. The other game was against Ohio State and Duke lost. Duke is a mirage built at the free throw line.

Below is this season stats for Duke and their opponents.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach K wins because of free throw disparity. It has been this way for over 20 years. Take this year -

I could go on but the stats are there for all to see. But no one in the media will bring it up because they don’t want to lose access. Out of 13 games this season Duke has more free throw attempts in 11 of those. 1 was South Carolina State which they didn’t need them. The other game was against Ohio State and Duke lost. Duke is a mirage built at the free throw line.

Thanks for pointing out that Tech’s game was not an apparition. Just for emphasis, GT was 9-12 at the free throw line and dook was 26-40. Freaking 40! We lost by 12.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My GT freshman son has always thought I’ve exaggerated when it comes to certain aspects of sports. When he told me the disparity in free throws from last night I simply said “that’s what I’ve been saying”. He’s starting to see the world as an adult and not thru the ESPN lens. Duke and UNC are given more free throw attempts while their opponents get less than their season average every year. In close hoops games that is blatant cheating. The ACC protects their golden goose no different than teams in other sports. Give GT 10 more free throws over their opponent and we’d start get 4 and 5 star recruits as well. There was never anything special about Dean Smith, Roy Williams, or K. Their teams got more free throws and thus attracted high end players.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

We are a high fouling team, 294th out of 350 teams in Division 1. That is awful. Our guys aren't very athletic less Usher and Smith and both of them play out of control on offense drawing way too many offensive fouls. The rest of the team often gets beat off the dribble and ends up fouling with late reach ins. Our opponents have taken 240 foul shots to our 199. There is a trend there. Duke was far more athletic and stronger Tuesday night. We did foul way more than they did. 27 to 14 in fouls. Blaming the refs is a weak *** excuse. Duke played poorly coming off a Covid pause. We aren't a good basketball team this year. We have some good players but they don't fit well as a team.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke was far more athletic
Duke and Louisville players are coached to do the twist, the flop, shake the ball going up, do the head fake, etc. They are professional actors. They get rewarded for it and never penalized. Devoe does it with the head bob. No other GT players do it, and we simply are penalized for it by not getting calls. But the refs still burn us on the block/charge: the fact that Meka got a block vs Duke and Sturdivant got a charge vs Lville's West is asinine.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Duke and Louisville players are coached to do the twist, the flop, shake the ball going up, do the head fake, etc. They are professional actors. They get rewarded for it and never penalized. Devoe does it with the head bob. No other GT players do it, and we simply are penalized for it by not getting calls. But the refs still burn us on the block/charge: the fact that Meka got a block vs Duke and Sturdivant got a charge vs Lville's West is asinine.
You are whining! We are a foul prone team. Take out the Duke game and we still foul way more than we get fouled. That is our issue not an issue with refs. Move you feet, Duke is excellent doing that, we are not. It is both an athletic ability shortcoming and a coaching issue with our team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are whining! We are a foul prone team. Take out the Duke game and we still foul way more than we get fouled. That is our issue not an issue with refs. Move you feet, Duke is excellent doing that, we are not. It is both an athletic ability shortcoming and a coaching issue with our team.
Just because we foul does not mean the other team doesn't foul.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Just because we foul does not mean the other team doesn't foul.
That can be true, and Tech can still foul a lot more than other teams.
Tech foulsOpponent fouls
Miami OH2317
Stetson139
Lamar1513
Georgia2419
Charleston1319
GA Southern1421
Wisconsin2018
LSU2117
USC167
GA State1920
Louisville1912
Duke2714

That’s 18.5 fouls per game for Tech compared to 14.3 fouls by our opponents. In only 3 of the 13 games has Tech committed fewer fouls than our opponent, and all 3 games were against mid-majors who don’t compare athletically to Tech. So in the other 10 games is that a result of incredible bias against Tech, or is it because other teams are more athletic and have better positional awareness?

I’ve never seen people ***** about officiating like they do in the GT basketball forum. Literally every game people are talking about who the refs had it out for Tech, even when the game was officiated very fairly.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That can be true, and Tech can still foul a lot more than other teams.
Tech foulsOpponent fouls
Miami OH2317
Stetson139
Lamar1513
Georgia2419
Charleston1319
GA Southern1421
Wisconsin2018
LSU2117
USC167
GA State1920
Louisville1912
Duke2714

That’s 18.5 fouls per game for Tech compared to 14.3 fouls by our opponents. In only 3 of the 13 games has Tech committed fewer fouls than our opponent, and all 3 games were against mid-majors who don’t compare athletically to Tech. So in the other 10 games is that a result of incredible bias against Tech, or is it because other teams are more athletic and have better positional awareness?

I’ve never seen people ***** about officiating like they do in the GT basketball forum. Literally every game people are talking about who the refs had it out for Tech, even when the game was officiated very fairly.
So you agree that a difference of 40-12 seems logical?