Coach Prime to Colorado

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Im way more on the fence about Deion but he brings more than people give him credit for. Yes, he is a walking circus and he gets substantially more heat when the team isn't playing well. He also generated record donations, sold out season tickets, created the highest priced tickets in the country for the first half of the season, had the highest TV ratings for any team for several weeks, got college gameday on campus, had the only ESPN televised spring game, etc. If he improves the team again next year with an easier schedule, all of that attention is coming back again.
And the year after, when Shedeur goes to the NFL and Deion leaves? All of that will go away. Everything I have seen suggests Deion is just a much more famous version of Geoff Collins when it comes to coaching, which is to say he doesn't seem to actually do any coaching. He is not building anything long term for Colorado, the next coach will have to do that, and he will be starting from scratch.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you this. Lets say Brent Key takes over 1 win Colorado. He has the 8th toughest schedule in the country the following year. Do you think he would have done substantially better than Deion did?
Pure speculation to answer that question, but I won't argue that Key would have a better W-L record than Deion. I suspect many posters are looking at the results vs. the hype. By that metric, I believe Key comes out on top.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And the year after, when Shedeur goes to the NFL and Deion leaves? All of that will go away. Everything I have seen suggests Deion is just a much more famous version of Geoff Collins when it comes to coaching, which is to say he doesn't seem to actually do any coaching. He is not building anything long term for Colorado, the next coach will have to do that, and he will be starting from scratch.
Against the 8th toughest schedule in the country he won 4 games, and lost 5 other one score games. That is already better than anything Collins ever did. Nevermind the massive increases in revenue and exposure he has brought that Collins couldnt even hope to match. The rest you said is conjecture. You have already decided he is going to crash and burn and the next coach will have to pick up the pieces with no talent left. It may or may not play out like that but that is true for any coach, including Key.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Deion was fine at Colorado this year. Would probably give him a B just like I give Key.
The issue for Deion is I think he has to really start to build the base more sturdy. He brought in a ton of transfers but ultimately he needs to stregthen his base - especially his line play.

At first I was thinking Colorado's schedule would be much easier in the B12 next season, but looking at their game matrix i'm not so sure.
They play North Dakota St - one of the best FCS teams in the country, and have to go to both Nebraska and Colorado State next season (who they had at home this year).
In conference they have 5/4 home/away conference split next season with home games against Utah (with Cam Rising back), OK St, Kansas St, Baylor and TCU. Road games at Arizona, Kansas, TX Tech, and UCF. If he can improve both OL and DL I could see 6-6 next year, if they are not better than 4-8 would be a possibility again.

Of course we get to see Colorado in 2025 and 2026.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Deion has one major problem. His love of media attention.

I don’t personally have a problem with anyone if that’s their thing but if you live by the sword you die by the sword. The media loves two narratives. One is rise from the ashes, rags to riches, and the other is, “Oh, how the mighty have fallen.” Sooner or later these narratives always come full circle. Most people seem to hate the media but the media is only giving us what we are attracted to. Any situation in stasis, or showing consistency, rapidly fades from interest.

Deion can’t sustain the hype as a result, and the only way the media can sustain interest is to magnify any little failing. Which, if you have already bought into media hype, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of collapse.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
After next season will be the interesting time for Deion. Both of his sons will be out of eligibility. He has never had a starting QB at the HS or college level not named Shedeur.
No matter what else happens, the Sanders family are doing financially well at Colorado. Dad Deion got a 5 year contract for $29.5 million ($5 Mil a year), son Shedeur got $4 million in NIL money (2nd in NCAA to Labron James's son $5.9 mil) and son Shilo got $893 thousand (30th in the NCAA). Is that not what it's all about these days? Hopefully the Colorado administration and fans did equally well.

In contrast, Georgia Tech's top NIL athlete Haynes King has $275 thousand in his NIL account. Coach Key has a 5 year contract for $15 mil ($3 mil a year).

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Heh - I'll leave this here...

Needs to go on the privacy tour with Harry and Meghan
images (7).jpeg