Coach Paul Johnson Show 10/28/2013

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Sorry guys, I didn't forget this time but I wasn't in a position to listen to the show so couldn't do a recap.

Here's the download link for tonight:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/10-28_Paul_Johnson_Show.mp3

Some notable tidbits while I've been listening to it:
  • Pitt played Navy well, one pass hit the WR and got INT by the Navy guy who ran in for a touchdown. Don't expect Pitt to change much up on defense.
  • BYU and Syracuse played differently. BYU played 3-4 defense like year before. Syracuse played more double eagle/bear 46/a lot of NFL stuff.
  • Calvin Johnson is very humble, great guy. Great role model for our guys to be around. Former Tech players come back to Tech especially in the off-season to train. Good for our players to see their work ethic.
  • GT made an NFL locker room with their Jerseys and names up so they can come back to GT and have their own locker when they work out.
  • CPJ gets a kick out of reading about teams practicing without the ball to prepare for us.
  • Starting @ 31:27 mark: Question regarding how the corners line up and how much cushion they have; CPJ said it depends on the coverage but if we could line up right in front of the guy and cover him, we would.
  • Also did not mention any specific names but he defended the cornerback position; said it isn't always one guy because sometimes there are supposed to be others guys underneath or helping deep in the post/dig and unless you knew exactly what the called coverage was it may not be as it looks.
  • Which is better: Pitt getting to play Navy before us or CPJ getting a look at how Pitt played Navy? Pitt playing Navy because there's no way to replicate the speed of it in practice so they got a game of full speed. It'll help us some but I'd rather have teams not play Navy before us. Duke played against Navy way better than they did us.
  • Pitt game key: need to take away their running game and get pressure on their QB.
  • The two big Pitt DTs reminds CPJ of VT's DTs, expects #97 to be All-American.
  • Plans 2-3 "momentum changers" per game, might not call them.
  • Attaochu pass coverage? Probably made the play on his own. Played one heckuva game at UVA. Couple of sacks, seven QB hurries.
  • Jemea played a great game too.
  • Dieke probably had best game.
  • Dressing up for Halloween? Haven't decided, might come in as a radio announcer.
  • CPJ is excited about the redshirt class, especially a couple of OL and DL guys. Thinks the coaches hasn't missed on any of them.
  • If he could have one game back, would be the VT game. Played very poorly.
  • The PI calls, sometimes we just panicked back there. There was one... (didn't say cause he didn't want to get fined). The running into the kicker was momentum killer.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
One thing I noticed about CPJ is that he may be quick to criticize his own guys but he's even quicker to defend them if they are criticized by anyone else.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
"I'm not going to single anyone out, but we got a couple OL that we're really excited about (we signed 2, Devine and Griffin) and a couple DL (we signed 3, iirc, Akins, Commissiong, and Robbins)." imo, both OL should've been 4* guys (Shamire was downgraded for some reason; Chris was the only Jr on Fl's all-state team that season), as well as Akins and Commissiong (both of whom I think were simply overlooked or undervalued because of higher profile guys that they shared the line with). I don't know as much about Robbins.