Coach Paul Johnson Press Conference 9/23/2013

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
bit.ly/1gSWP2J (Audio Link)

Some interesting topics including the APU thing, didn't do very well with running the option (reads and perimeter blocking) and so they are going to try to limit the number of checks instead of keeping it wide open. Trying to do too much on offense and we're not doing well on any of them.

Attaochu and DL dialed it up a notch in second half. Secondary made good plays but the pressure also helped.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have also wondered about so many new wrinkles. I thought our second half was classic GT under PJ (just pounding away and demolishing TOP). I love the new stuff, and I think it is crucial to taking the next step. But our offense has a definite identity that needs to be preserved. As long as it works, I can see Thursday night being one of those 5-8 passing days. And I'm fine with that.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I re-watched the game. We ran a total of 5 plays from the Diamond Formation, with a total yardage gain of 20 yards or 4 yards per play. I'm sure there is a valid reason why we did not see it as much as we did against Duke but hey we won and that is all that matters.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This might have to do with being sloppy in the option and using practice time to work on the "new stuff." If we're sloppy with our bread and butter, the new stuff needs to take a back seat.

CPJ also said fewer checks at the LOS. "It won't be wide open, I can tell you that....." What's that all about?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ also said fewer checks at the LOS. "It won't be wide open, I can tell you that....." What's that all about?
I think I read into two different (or even related) meanings. One, I think he wants to simplify some things given that we have a short week to prepare just for the sake of time. Second, based on the mistakes made on offense, he wants to simplify the choices Vad has to make. If I interpret "wide open" as is, not sure what is more surprising to me... that Vad had the option to make "wide open" changes at the LOS or that CPJ is now taking some of that away.

I remember even last couple of years, CPJ was referring to Tevin only being able to change certain things about the offensive playcall and that he couldn't just pick a random play to call. Same with Nesbitt I thought too.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm at the opposite spectrum.
If Vad isn't good in the option but is good with the other stuff, DO MORE of the other stuff !!!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If Vad isn't good in the option but is good with the other stuff, DO MORE of the other stuff !!!

I kinda lean to what ATL1 is saying here. I know the flexbone is our bread and butter, but I also don't want us to force square peg here either. CPJ is far more intelligent than I so I will just sit back and watch.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I kinda lean to what ATL1 is saying here. I know the flexbone is our bread and butter, but I also don't want us to force square peg here either. CPJ is far more intelligent than I so I will just sit back and watch.
Sounds good in theory but in practice, I don't think it's that easy because there's 10 other guys on the field that has to be good at what the "new" thing is. I think this is one of the reasons why we're seeing different things from the offense in increments starting last year with the gun/pistol stuff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more about the reads than the ability to run the plays. I think Vad's more comfortable in the shotgun, ergo he's making better reads. I think his ability to make the reads from under center will come with time and repetition. He's a RS Sophomore with essentially four games of experience under his belt. Given a little time, I think he's going to be great under the center in our traditional offense or in the shotgun formation with Piston or Diamond or whatever else CPJ comes up with. CPJ said at the beginning of the year that all he needed now was reps. I think that's why he had so much time during the Elon and Duke games.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Sounds good in theory but in practice, I don't think it's that easy because there's 10 other guys on the field that has to be good at what the "new" thing is. I think this is one of the reasons why we're seeing different things from the offense in increments starting last year with the gun/pistol stuff.

Yeah, that makes sense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more about the reads than the ability to run the plays. I think Vad's more comfortable in the shotgun, ergo he's making better reads. I think his ability to make the reads from under center will come with time and repetition. He's a RS Sophomore with essentially four games of experience under his belt. Given a little time, I think he's going to be great under the center in our traditional offense or in the shotgun formation with Piston or Diamond or whatever else CPJ comes up with. CPJ said at the beginning of the year that all he needed now was reps. I think that's why he had so much time during the Elon and Duke games.

I'm pretty sure Vad has stated himself that he is more comfortable in the gun/pistol. Especially in regards to the reads. And then you hear CPJ at the end of the UNC game talking about how many reads Vad missed. I'm not an expert by any means but would it make more sense to put him in what he is comfortable making reads out of and thus improve the reads??? I also know that several high school teams run the flex-pistol, not the diamond but the regular flexbone out of the pistol with all the motions, misdirections, reads, etc...