Coach Pastner interview on 680 the Fan on 12/21

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Josh Pastner appeared on The Rude Awakening on 680 the Fan on 12/21 starting at 8:12a. Hopefully there will be a podcast later on the site or perhaps they may replay it. I thought it was a very honest and insightful assessment of himself and the team. Several comments I remember are:

“Hardest thing to coach is when you can’t score”

“Guys have to have the innate ability to put the ball in the basket”

“During the job interview process, he was asked if he could handle not winning a game in the ACC during the upcoming season. Was told he might not win 25 games in the first two years. He must look at years 3, 4 & 5 to begin building to a championship level. There will be no quick fixes or shortcuts to get there. Will need someone who is ultra-positive.”

“Guys are playing hard and giving everything they have”

“Current team is limited offensively. You help this through recruiting. You must have guys on the team that can score.”

“Must have a thick skin during the first 2 years”

“Vision is to see McCamish Pavilion filled with gold and white all the time”

CJP has worked with talented coaches and teams. He has a philosophy regarding how he wants the team to play. I believe he has learned from his experience at Memphis and wants to build a winning, sustainable program at GT. He and the team will need our support and patience during this rebuild.

Go Jackets!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about Pastner. He made some remarks about not worrying about playing UGA and/or winning or not winning. It's just one game of many and the team needs to win them all.

OK, winning all of them is true.

But, I think he would be wise to play to his audience, which in this case, is the Jacket base. He doesn't have to mean it, but how hard is it to say, "We want to win all our games. And beating U(sic) GA every year is a special bonus for us. A really special game that our fans and our teams look forward to each time we play."

He is trying to act too high browed. There are some things you just have to say and commit to. It's called Tradition. I'm not sure he gets it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He is trying to act too high browed. There are some things you just have to say and commit to. It's called Tradition. I'm not sure he gets it.

The tradition concerning playing UGA in basketball is that it isn't any different than a normal ooc game. For both sides.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe.

I just think its better when all parties are aligned.

Kinda hard to yell THWG except for all sports other than football.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Georgia basketball has been irrelevant for 50 years. They've made the Finl Four once? Twice maybe?

Tech should beat them in hoops every year, without much effort. We should be an upper echelon ACC team. They are a mid level SEC squad in their best years. SEC basketball is laughable outside Rupp.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
CJP was on The Rude Awakening again (1/3) around 8:15a. Not much new from the earlier interview. Was very humble with respect to the compliments he got regarding the win over UNC and made sure to credit the staff and players for their collective efforts thus far. I did appreciate that the interviewers did not get in his way and allowed him to answer the questions.

You can listen to the interview at:

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=671&f=5796833
or
http://www.680thefan.com/the-rude-awakening-audio/