Coach P vs. DC Bateman rd 2

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
People blamed CPJ for turnovers :facepalm:
I don't think the game is the tragedy other2 have been making it, but there were a loud contingent of negative people who would blame everything on CPJ. Now there are a loud contingent of people that blame everything on CGC/CDP. I am more confused about why people don't understand this.

I just looked at the score sheet and only saw two turnovers in the redzone, so I am not sure where you got three from. Playing revisionist history is hard because where do you stop? Are we even calling the same plays on the two drives in the goal line if the score is 9-17? We certainly aren't going for it on 4th and 2 on the final drive if it was 15-17. We had our chances in the game to put points on the board, but sadly we didn't. GT has definitely had 3+ turnover games in the past where we still found a way for the offense to score. It might not be 100% on the coaches, but you don't get shut out without everything being below the line.

A ball thrown for an interception.
A ball fumbled at the goal line.
A ball fumbled within the 30 yard?
Two stops on 4th down within the 25 yard line.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
A ball thrown for an interception.
A ball fumbled at the goal line.
A ball fumbled within the 30 yard?
Two stops on 4th down within the 25 yard line.
I don't understand. The redzone begins at the opponent 20. So we had two turnovers in the redzone. Super disappointing, but Temple had one as well. Sometimes it happens.

The scoop and score is was tragic and pretty much completely changed the game, but if it was outside the 30, so still not within fg our range (though it was on second down, so maybe we convert the third down there, it would have been the first third down we faced that drive).

"Two stops on 4th down within the 25 yard line."
This did not happen. Our final drive was downs on their 11, but we weren't kicking a meaningless FG. The other drive that ended in downs was on the 33. A 50 yard fg isn't automatic, but I'd love for us to have a guy we are confident in trotting out there.

We definitely left points on the field that in normal circumstances we get, but that doesn't exactly make the offensive performance much better.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
giphy.gif

What Coach P knows how to call an offense?!?!
Mills concept vs cover 4 right here @ilovetheoption @steebu

I thought the Mills concept was to transfer to a juco and ... oh, wait ...

Let the record show, I never said Patenoob didn't know how to call an offense - I just didn't like the design of some of his plays. I'd agree that this, however, is a good call vs. cover 4. Also, let the record show that after the Clemson game I did say that there was something that gave me hope, but I was waiting for another game or two before saying it. I'm too lazy to look it up. And besides, isn't this Temple vs. Army?

As for the offense right now ... it's hard to do anything when the OL isn't playing well and banged up. It may be that they're grasping at anything because nothing's working.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually like the swinging gate formation. It's as simple as can be for the offense (it's an option, you go where the numbers are), and yet the defense has to put in time to prepare for it - if they get it wrong, which Army did in this situation, it can be a big play for the offense. That first play should've been big yardage ... unbelievably poor execution by the blockers!! But, that goes back to also having to prepare the offensive players to execute that simple play based on how those defenders line up ... So, it takes some extra/better training on the part of the offense as well.

Takes 5 minutes to prepare for the swinging gate - just don't see the value of it vs getting your primary offense ready for different fronts and such. In all my years of watching football I have only seen the swinging gate do anything a handful of times and that includes when I played a little highschool football way back. Every coach (almost) has their quirky things they like - I just happen to not like this one.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Takes 5 minutes to prepare for the swinging gate - just don't see the value of it vs getting your primary offense ready for different fronts and such. In all my years of watching football I have only seen the swinging gate do anything a handful of times and that includes when I played a little highschool football way back. Every coach (almost) has their quirky things they like - I just happen to not like this one.
If you only run one play out of it, then it only takes 5 minutes to prepare. But, it has appeared to me that we run maybe 5 or 6 plays out of it ... it's a nice self-contained little package. That would take quite a bit more time for a defense to prepare for thoroughly. If we can get good at it over the next year or two, it could serve us well.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
If you only run one play out of it, then it only takes 5 minutes to prepare. But, it has appeared to me that we run maybe 5 or 6 plays out of it ... it's a nice self-contained little package. That would take quite a bit more time for a defense to prepare for thoroughly. If we can get good at it over the next year or two, it could serve us well.
It's probably closer to 2-3 plays. I just don't think it would ever be effective. Anything you do had better be quick hitting because the lineman near the QB is going to get beat quickly. The entire formation is reliant on confusion. I think it can work if you win some one on ones even if the defense isn't confused, but the basic premise of it working is that you line up like that and the defense is confused by the look and trying to adjust and you snap it during the confusion. A lot of other teams that I have seen run it will audible out of it when that doesn't happen.

In any case, the times I have seen GT use it this year it was a stupid play call based upon the situation, down and distance and hindsight. It may pay dividends in the future - who knows.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I ll go along w this idea and others until we get a bunch horses in the trenches.

This package and the wildcat (which is basically what TO ran last year) could give us an advantage.

When i watched baylor run the air raid-- w wide ol splits , very wide wr splits, slot and t e split out and one rb; it made the reads for the qb very easy. For this to be very effective the qb must have a cannon --( #4 Graham has one.) And u need fast wrs ( they are coming). Could we line up like this as a way for graham to just act like he is going to pass but really its a run .

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Is the argument that he managed 28 points in a loss to army? This makes him a good coach? or am I just not catching the sarcasm?
28 points in 9 drives is pretty good. That shakes out to 3.1 points/drive. It would seem on the surface that the offense wasn't the issue in that game.

A counterargument is Bateman's defense in 2017 wasn't good. It was #108 DFEI in the country. In 2018, they improved to #27.
OK...what does the rest of his body of work show?
Look...I hope I am Ten Thousand percent wrong about CDP. We got shut out by a team that gave up 38 to Buffalo and couldn't find our butts with both hands against Citadel.
Here's two seasons of data: https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

Temple's offensive efficiency improved from #94 in the country (2017) to #58 in the country (2018).

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Temple's offensive efficiency improved from #94 in the country (2017) to #58 in the country (2018).

The rub is that in 2015, Temple's offensive efficiency was #54, and then in 2016 it was #31.

Yes, I know they lost senior players... But those numbers on their own do not prove anything about CDP's abilities as an OC.

A lot of arguments in his favor right now seem like major reaches.

Scubapro

Banned
28 points in 9 drives is pretty good. That shakes out to 3.1 points/drive. It would seem on the surface that the offense wasn't the issue in that game.

A counterargument is Bateman's defense in 2017 wasn't good. It was #108 DFEI in the country. In 2018, they improved to #27.

Here's two seasons of data: https://gtswarm.com/threads/geoff-collins-as-a-hc-full-season-data.19452/

I can see the one year of improvement
I also see a few decent years at CC but nothing else in his career shows me he was a great coach
I hope I am wrong, I will gladly eat crow; feathers, beak, and feet but the same arguments could’ve been, and were, for Pat Nix