Coach Owens

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042418aaa.html

April 24, 2018

THE FLATS - Georgia Tech football assistant coach Lamar Owens has been selected to participate in the National Football League’s prestigious Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship. As a fellowship participant, Owens will be immersed with the San Francisco 49ers’ coaching staff during offseason training activities and mandatory minicamp from June 3-15.

In its 30th year, the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship helps outstanding coaches gain exposure to NFL offseason workout programs and training camps. Designed as a vocational tool to increase the number of full-time minority coaches in the NFL, all 32 clubs participate each year.

Owens is entering his 11th season overall at Georgia Tech and his ninth season as the Yellow Jackets’ A-backs coach. He added special teams coordinator to his responsibilities prior to the 2016 campaign.

In seven of Owens’ eight seasons as A-backs coach, Georgia Tech’s slot backs have averaged better than eight yards per touch, including a whopping 11.4-yard average in 2016. In 2017, A-back Clinton Lynch, who still has a season of eligibility remaining, needed only 29 career games to become just the 47th player in school history to rush for 1,000 career yards.

As the Yellow Jackets’ special teams coordinator, Owens has directly overseen a punt unit that has improved from a No. 97 national ranking the year before he took over (35.8-yard net average) to 31st nationally in 2017 (39.7-yard net average). Punter Pressley Harvin III led all true freshmen and ranked 16th overall nationally in '17 with a 44.1-yard punting average, en route to freshman all-America honors.

A highly respected recruiter, Owens was primarily responsible for the recruitment of former Georgia Tech place kicker and Kansas City Chiefs' Harrison Butker, the school’s all-time leading scorer (337 career points) who broke the Chiefs’ record for consecutive field goals made (23) as a rookie in 2017.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It would not surprise me to see Coach Owens running his own program pretty soon like Bohanon at KSU. These smaller schools would be smart to pick off assistants from the CPJ, Monken, and Coach Ken trees. Programs at the FCS levels have talent that's closer and this offense can be a bigger advantage at that level.

I've always been impressed with how Coach Owens handles himself both on the sidelines and with recruits.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what they are talking about with Lynch. He has 1,090 career rushing yards....
The whole thing absent context is useless. On the one hand there is boasting it took him more than two seasons to reach 1,000 yards -- 29 games, or almost two and a half, when a lot of backs do that in a regular season. On the other hand the average is outstanding, but one has to know the offense to understand why so few touches. (Or how they can break so many long ones to drive that average.)

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It would not surprise me to see Coach Owens running his own program pretty soon like Bohanon at KSU. These smaller schools would be smart to pick off assistants from the CPJ, Monken, and Coach Ken trees. Programs at the FCS levels have talent that's closer and this offense can be a bigger advantage at that level.

I've always been impressed with how Coach Owens handles himself both on the sidelines and with recruits.
Shhhhhh, someone important might hear you.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
The whole thing absent context is useless. On the one hand there is boasting it took him more than two seasons to reach 1,000 yards -- 29 games, or almost two and a half, when a lot of backs do that in a regular season. On the other hand the average is outstanding, but one has to know the offense to understand why so few touches. (Or how they can break so many long ones to drive that average.)

Thanks for breaking that downs... makes more sense now...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They have different rules for football on the left coast? :cigar:
Well, yes. Even a missed field goal for instance is credited with one point, for participation. If it is made, one point goes to the other team so they won't feel bad. Between the rules and the amber waves of Mary Jane, a lot of very happy teams over there. I almost transferred in there several times my ownself.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I agree, but for a minor technicality: that's only one tree.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but for a minor technicality: that's only one tree.
I'm not sure. Mainly meaning I don't know, but my guess would be that from Johnson to whatever coach was hired from one of his acolytes might be one tree. But from the acolyte -- Monken for instance -- to one of his assistants leaving would legitimately be his coaching tree. Right? For instance, Bear Bryant to Gene Stallings to Dabo Swinney is the Bear's coaching tree -- pretty startling to consider -- but Swinney has a couple of guys being considered for head jobs. Would that not be his coaching tree? (This feels like a Blazing Saddles moment, but we are between seasons, and that is when momentous events have to be scoured.)