Coach K to Retire After Next Season

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, between this and Roy, and gotta imagine Boeheim shortly, there is going to be a lot of opportunities for a hierarchy shake up in the coming years.
is there a place to place a wager (real money) on boeheim retiring after one last season coaching his 2 sons?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lot of weird announcements today with Brad Stevens being promoted to Celtics president, Ainge retiring.

Considering a lotta folks assumed Stevens would be in line to replace K, weird timing of these announcements.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Besides the fact that none of the K coaching tree has distinguished themselves with success, gotta wonder if Scheyer is the guy as a stop gap to "follow a legend". If he succeeds great. If not, he took one for the team until they get the right person in place, while K pulls the strings.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lot of weird announcements today with Brad Stevens being promoted to Celtics president, Ainge retiring.

Considering a lotta folks assumed Stevens would be in line to replace K, weird timing of these announcements.
I wouldn't give up on Stevens replacing K after a year away from coaching in the front office. But I would expect K will have a ton of input into his replacement - especially given that Duke just hired a fairly young lady to be their AD. Can't see her bucking K on this one and he may well want Scheyer to be the guy :unsure: :cool:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Have to assume Stevens could take over in a few years if Scheyer is a bust. I like Stevens a lot from his Butler days. Really surprised he took a non-coaching role with the Celtics. Seems like a logic guy to be there in a few years. Would lessen my hatred of Duke a little bit........ahh, no it wouldn't.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
If I'm Duke, the first phone call I make is to Quinn Snyder. He probably doesn't want to go back to college, but he's one of the best in the business

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jim Boeheim is 76 (77 this fall). I fully expected him to retire after this season. Now with K retiring I could see him being stubborn enough to wait another year so he doesn't retire the same year.

You also have Leonard Hamilton who is 72 going on 52. Feel like he could coach to 80.
Also, Jim Larranaga at Miami is 71 (72 this fall). Another poor season for him (he's had 3 sub-.500 seasons in a row) and it could be more a matter of does he retire or is he fired.

Will be interesting to see how his retirement affects Duke recruiting for class of 2022. How attractive will Duke be to recruits knowing K won't be there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Coach K: So you mean with NIL ALL SAs have the ability to get their own fancy homes and SAs have the ability to buy their own fancy cars and they don't need me to persuade Nike into sending cash secretly?!! How am I supposed to get credit for recruiting well and get a leg up on other coaches now?!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Coach K: So you mean with NIL ALL SAs have the ability to get their own fancy homes and SAs have the ability to buy their own fancy cars and they don't need me to persuade Nike into sending cash secretly?!! How am I supposed to get credit for recruiting well and get a leg up on other coaches now?!!

"And plus I no longer get to coach the USA bball team thereby taking full advantage of that connection on the recruiting trail which undoubtedly gave me an additional leg up on the competition .. I mean besides paying kids, of course .... " - Coach K

Is the Zion Williamson investigation getting too hot?

He's like Wooden, getting out before the hammer falls...

"Wait, wait ... so you're tellin' me they might be able ta put me under oath?"

step-back.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ESPN has updated their story to say Jon Scheyer has been hired to be the new coach in 22-23.

Associate head coach Jon Scheyer has agreed to become the next head coach at Duke, sources told ESPN. He will spend the 2021-2022 season as coach-in-waiting, and take over after that.