Coach K to Retire After Next Season

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
All-time great. Greatest behind Wooden? Congrats on an exceptional career and I still hate you, but I respect the win at all costs mentality. Weak people can’t stomach it, they’ll try to pass off their weak mentality as high morals. Respect K, looking forward to the swan song season tbh. The boos and the cheers.

View attachment 10647
Weak people are the ones that cheat to achieve a goal rather than maintaining a high moral character. Rather than selling the recruits on his ability as a coach and the virtues of Duke as a university, he decided to take the easy way out and pay for the top players like Zion. There is nothing to respect in that. Plus he has always been such a huge hypocrite trying to portray himself as a standard of high moral character when all the while he cusses and screams on the sidelines like a big baby when he doesn't get his way. He is well known for his many F bombs on the court when things don't go his way. There is nothing to respect in that. Add to that his coaching tactic of having his players slide underneath opposing players as they are in the air going to the basket trying to draw charges with no regard to the health and well being of those opposing student athletes.

Forgive me but I will never miss the likes of him on the court. To me he represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

Also, does anyone else think it is an egomaniacal move to announce your retirement a year in advance so that everyone can bow down at your feet for an entire year rather than just retiring at the end of the season and riding off into the sunset. I have always respected those coaches that finished their last season and said that's it. I'm done.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Very grateful to see that dook is away-only on this year's schedule.

No need to start a letter-writing campaign to ensure we don't kiss the rings if they visited McCamish.

I wish Tech had no designated 'primary rivals' in basketball. Just let North Carolina and Duke play each other twice a year rotate everybody else.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So. About K.

I will let others decide if he is saint or sinner. He is a disciple of Bobby Knight who inculcated a style I am not enamored of, coarse, loud, arrogant, something of a bully, and somewhat entitled. Just not my thing.

As a kid watching coach Wooden at UCLA, I was more impressed with the calm demeanor, gentlemen’s style and ALWAYS ALWAYS teaching. UCLA players didn’t always come with “can’t miss as a pro” credentials but they were taught the “UCLA style” which served them well.

Next coach I would put ahead of K would be Jim Valvano. A little bit like Bobby Cremins, he communicated love, enthusiasm and a positive spirit, much like our football coach. Some kids coming into college sports need nurturing more than the “sink or swim” approach.

I don’t begrudge K his victory lap but I have a feeling I’m going to get a little tired of all the fawning sports media types this year. He was a basketball coach not a scientist who cured cancer.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As a kid watching coach Wooden at UCLA, I was more impressed with the calm demeanor, gentlemen’s style and ALWAYS ALWAYS teaching. UCLA players didn’t always come with “can’t miss as a pro” credentials but they were taught the “UCLA style” which served them well.

Next coach I would put ahead of K would be Jim Valvano. A little bit like Bobby Cremins, he communicated love, enthusiasm and a positive spirit, much like our football coach. Some kids coming into college sports need nurturing more than the “sink or swim” approach.

UCLA had the best teams Sam Gilbert could buy, and there is a reason Valvano's successor at NCSU said he was there to clean up academics after V was fired.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have lived in the RTP area since I "Got Out" in 1974 and observed coach V from his hiring day. He was a great story teller and very funny. The local press loved him and he did great radio interviews. He was a breath of fresh air compared to Dean Smith. He was a fantastic recruiter and got a lot of good players from Dematha. Things got a little out of hand after he became AD and the president at the time gave him basically anything he wanted. They even had a star senior center flunk out after fall semester but reinstated by the president if he promised to do better. There were pizza delivery robberies, corvettes driven by player girlfriends, players robbing other players' apartment. It was a hot mess in Raleigh. Coach V is still beloved by State fans and he was super likeable. I liked him as a coach and he must have been fun to play for. He was known for his motivational talks to his players. I am sure they still adore him. He was a good coach but no saint.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For as big a shadow as Coach K casts over college basketball, and for as much as he makes a big deal out of being a "leader"...someone's name is conspicuously absent from this list:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...high-major-coaches-who-dont-break-ncaa-rules/

BTW...something interesting I found...or didn't find. There was also an opposite survey done to the one above with a nicely worded title that didn't out and out call out coaches for cheating, but basically inferred they were cheaters. Coach K name came up on that one. However, you won't be able to find it anymore, but you can find it referenced in articles:

I think I linked to that article years ago for a different thread.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don’t burst my idealistic bubble. 😊

John Wooden was the biggest cheater in the history of college basketball. If the Bruins had been caught, they would've made SMU football blush. Wooden's vaunted 'pyramid' was a pyramid scheme but nobody ever called him on it. But hey, look on the bright side. Atleast he's not Bo Scam-bechler.

Milwaukee

Banned
Weak people are the ones that cheat to achieve a goal rather than maintaining a high moral character. Rather than selling the recruits on his ability as a coach and the virtues of Duke as a university, he decided to take the easy way out and pay for the top players like Zion. There is nothing to respect in that. Plus he has always been such a huge hypocrite trying to portray himself as a standard of high moral character when all the while he cusses and screams on the sidelines like a big baby when he doesn't get his way. He is well known for his many F bombs on the court when things don't go his way. There is nothing to respect in that. Add to that his coaching tactic of having his players slide underneath opposing players as they are in the air going to the basket trying to draw charges with no regard to the health and well being of those opposing student athletes.

Forgive me but I will never miss the likes of him on the court. To me he represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

Also, does anyone else think it is an egomaniacal move to announce your retirement a year in advance so that everyone can bow down at your feet for an entire year rather than just retiring at the end of the season and riding off into the sunset. I have always respected those coaches that finished their last season and said that's it. I'm done.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@g0lftime Man, miss the days when the undergrads cleaned Dominoes out of pizza boxes and threw them at NC St, the “Lefty” empty gas tank skullcaps, “Yo’ Adrian wanna toke” doobie, etc. Who was it we threw the panties at? Some dude got chucked out of the TiT for unfurling a 6ft tall playboy centerfold when someone was shooting FTs.

Great memories, not fans fighting in stands or all the BS that’s going on now. People just having fun and being creatively funny, etc and all getting along because we were GT Fans regardless of where we came from. We were a diverse bunch with a very geeky streak, but man our fanbase was awesome and extremely entertaining.