Coach K: Leave of Absence following GT game?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It amazes me how many times GT faces Duke after a loss. I looked at this one time and i think GT has played Duke more than any other ACC team after a loss.
Add in that this will be K's final game for a month and you have to think it is going to be very fired up at Cameron.
i'd take anything less than a 20 pt loss as a good game on our part.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It amazes me how many times GT faces Duke after a loss. I looked at this one time and i think GT has played Duke more than any other ACC team after a loss.
Add in that this will be K's final game for a month and you have to think it is going to be very fired up at Cameron.
The game before GT is an obvious trap game as Duke looks ahead to the big matchup.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know Grayson Allen status...thinking he's still out.They are vulnerable to a team like us without him and a little lean on experience.They won't be able to stifle us with that signature Duke man to man...they just don't have the personnel.We'll be able to "get into our stuff" with Heath and Moore getting into the lane.Our recent success running things at Ben and thru him in the high post looks like the trend could continue against Duke who really doesn't have the quality bigs to stop him from getting off.Okogie,TJ and Q have to make shots and score...same intensity defensively and on the boards...we own the 50/50's.They have to FIND Kennard and not let him get loose,get a hand in his face...make him put it on the floor,find him in transition and box him out.Nothing easy.
Heath will be the key,I exspect the rust to be gone and an air of confidence in him from here on out coming off his performance vs. UNC.It's a big bonus in Cameron when you have a veteran pg who is looking to attack.Moore is in the same mold in regards to no fear attacking the gaps,trying to get to the basket.If those two play well we could come out of there with a W!!!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'd be surprised if Allen plays, but no one seems to know the timeline.

Given how VT drove at will against Duke, I think Okogie must be licking his chops

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Might make or break his prospects to replace K but he will be a head coach whenever he wants to be

If he looks bad over the course of Coach K's recovery, I highly doubt a good programs would take the chance with him. Not only will he have fumbled a walk in situation, but he will have shown he can't take advantage of what's considered the most talented roster in college basketball.

Let's remember, going back to Duke to sit behind Coach K was to resuscitate his reputation after Oklahoma. Doesn't speak well of his abilities if he messes this opportunity up. Will he get an opportunity somewhere like Dayton/William and Mary/Florida Atlantic/etc? More than likely. Highly doubt a program like Tennessee/Vandy/GT/UGA/Florida/Kansas State....P5 teams would take a chance. "Blue Blood" basketball programs definitely will not. If Capel can't cut it with the most talented roster in college basketball, what makes you think ADs will have the confidence in him having to compete against a team like Duke? Afterall, isn't that the point of P5 teams getting rid of one coach and hiring someone like Capel?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

that he would WASTE a week that could have been used for an earlier return to play the worst team in the acc says that he does have concern over gt and wants to send cjp a message as to who runs the acc. a message that nc failed to deliver.

im expecting a blow out loss. anything less ill be thrilled with.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If he looks bad over the course of Coach K's recovery, I highly doubt a good programs would take the chance with him. Not only will he have fumbled a walk in situation, but he will have shown he can't take advantage of what's considered the most talented roster in college basketball.

Let's remember, going back to Duke to sit behind Coach K was to resuscitate his reputation after Oklahoma. Doesn't speak well of his abilities if he messes this opportunity up. Will he get an opportunity somewhere like Dayton/William and Mary/Florida Atlantic/etc? More than likely. Highly doubt a program like Tennessee/Vandy/GT/UGA/Florida/Kansas State....P5 teams would take a chance. "Blue Blood" basketball programs definitely will not. If Capel can't cut it with the most talented roster in college basketball, what makes you think ADs will have the confidence in him having to compete against a team like Duke? Afterall, isn't that the point of P5 teams getting rid of one coach and hiring someone like Capel?

We will simply agree to disagree on this one. Capel is the lead recruiter for Duke in the one mostly responsible for that talent. Second anything that happens in the next month or so is with an injured roster and in the shadow of Grayson Allen.

He could've had his pic of programs any of which you just listed plus Georgia Tech if the terms had been right. Two weeks to months isn't going to change that He is a lot more respected in basketball circles than you give him credit for

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I predict Allen will be on the bench this week, then return for their game against FSU. If K wanted him out longer than a few games he would have kicked him off the team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will simply agree to disagree on this one. Capel is the lead recruiter for Duke in the one mostly responsible for that talent. Second anything that happens in the next month or so is with an injured roster and in the shadow of Grayson Allen.

He could've had his pic of programs any of which you just listed plus Georgia Tech if the terms had been right. Two weeks to months isn't going to change that He is a lot more respected in basketball circles than you give him credit for

What you're saying in this post is part of my point. Caple HAD many offers last offseason (and probably previous seasons), and that was built on his reputation as a great recruiter where Coach K is the head coach. He's been shielded by Coach K at Duke. Well, it's mostly his show as Coach K recovers, and as you say he's the lead recruiter for most of the talent. What major program takes a chance on a coach who can't succeed with all that talent and Coach K behind him? Then the shadow of what happened at Oklahoma (which made it a point of contention with us when Capel was mentioned with GT) Capel goes to another program, and yes he's the lead recruiter, but don't be mistaken; Coach K and Duke are the real reason kids go to Duke. Capel does not have that to recruit to at another school. Those are two huge factors other schools have to consider.

Simply put, Capel's stock takes a hit if he doesn't do well subbing in for Coach K. If he does well? Probably will be one of the hottest names next coaching go around.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What you're saying in this post is part of my point. Caple HAD many offers last offseason (and probably previous seasons), and that was built on his reputation as a great recruiter where Coach K is the head coach. He's been shielded by Coach K at Duke. Well, it's mostly his show as Coach K recovers, and as you say he's the lead recruiter for most of the talent. What major program takes a chance on a coach who can't succeed with all that talent and Coach K behind him? Then the shadow of what happened at Oklahoma (which made it a point of contention with us when Capel was mentioned with GT) Capel goes to another program, and yes he's the lead recruiter, but don't be mistaken; Coach K and Duke are the real reason kids go to Duke. Capel does not have that to recruit to at another school. Those are two huge factors other schools have to consider.

Simply put, Capel's stock takes a hit if he doesn't do well subbing in for Coach K. If he does well? Probably will be one of the hottest names next coaching go around.

Eh, I'm with you to a point. He did bring Willie Warren, Keith Gallon, and Tommie Mason-Griffith to Oklahoma and they were all burger boys. The guy can flat out recruit even without K. BUT, managing that talent once they get there seemed to be his problem. Those young men all seemed to have serious flaws in character and eventually led to his dismissal.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be surprised if Allen plays, but no one seems to know the timeline.

Given how VT drove at will against Duke, I think Okogie must be licking his chops
VT showed Dukes inability to handle athleticism on the perimeter,they looked a step slow and a few inches short out there.I hope our confidence level is as high as it was Saturday,this version of Duke looks less imposing than UNC imo...come March could be a different team with Allen back and Giles,Tatum and Bolden acclimated to ACC level basketball.Tomorrow night they'll be easier to deal with for sure.