Coach Geoff Collins: Separating Fact from Hype

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The replies to this comment will be interesting...especially since there are MULTIPLE threads on this board where fans voice their views on the expectations of our football program, and their feelings about whether is reasonable for GT to attain a certain status (say top 25 status) given today's football environment.

This isn't about getting ranked in the top 25 once every 4-5 years, but CONSISTENTLY being in that tier (hence CGC's comment that he was here when GT was ranked in the top 25 every year...which was true). Like I said, it's going to be interesting to see people reply to this...mostly because the internet is forever, and battles back and forth between the "pie in the sky" group versus the "grounded" group (to be nice) over the years is archived on this board for all to read.

Gonna go make some popcorn...

Fake News, imo.

As I look at multiple threads, I think people have questioned our ability to be regularly top 25 in recruiting.

The reason people supported CPJ was the belief that he could get us regular top 25 results, occassionally competing for championships, without top recruiting classes.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as being "elite" goes that's one of Coach Fleck's "sayings" too. Better than being "average" I'd guess as a slogan.

Fine with me if Tech is the "Elite ACC team" and the Gophers are the "Elite B1G team."

So far so good for Coach Collins not being on the H.Y.P.R.R Elite train...

Animal02

Banned
Fake News, imo.

As I look at multiple threads, I think people have questioned our ability to be regularly top 25 in recruiting.

The reason people supported CPJ was the belief that he could get us regular top 25 results, occassionally competing for championships, without top recruiting classes.
Did a look at final rankings in the AP poll.
Two snapshots....one for 11 years and then the last 20
20 years - 89 different teams ranked in the final poll. Tech tied for 30th being ranked 6 times. 18 teams were in the final poll 50% of the time, 5 in the final poll 75% of the time
11 years - 74 different teams ranked in the final poll. Tech tied for 36th being ranked 3 times. 17 teams were in the final poll 50% of the time, 5 in the final poll 75% of the time

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Did a look at final rankings in the AP poll.
Two snapshots....one for 11 years and then the last 20
20 years - 89 different teams ranked in the final poll. Tech tied for 30th being ranked 6 times. 18 teams were in the final poll 50% of the time, 5 in the final poll 75% of the time
11 years - 74 different teams ranked in the final poll. Tech tied for 36th being ranked 3 times. 17 teams were in the final poll 50% of the time, 5 in the final poll 75% of the time
Thanks. That's about what I expected. People - including me, apparently - seem to think that the final rankings are a lot more stable then they, in fact, are. That's why I said I'd like to see Tech get within a football bounce of the top 25 more often then has been the case recently. I don't necessarily expect to see us crack it every year, but I want us to be within striking distance.

Btw, having looked at the 2016 final 25, I still don't see how we couldn't have been ranked that year. We beat VT - ranked 16th - and had the same record as Miami - ranked 20th. Something was fishy that year, imho.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Thanks. That's about what I expected. People - including me, apparently - seem to think that the final rankings are a lot more stable then they, in fact, are. That's why I said I'd like to see Tech get within a football bounce of the top 25 more often then has been the case recently. I don't necessarily expect to see us crack it every year, but I want us to be within striking distance.

Btw, having looked at the 2016 final 25, I still don't see how we couldn't have been ranked that year. We beat VT - ranked 16th - and had the same record as Miami - ranked 20th. Something was fishy that year, imho.
WRT to 2016.......it is the preseason ranking bias.......teams that are ranked pre season, get a pass for early season losses and are slow to drop ranking. Teams that are not ranked have a far more difficult climb, and drop like a rock at the first loss. After the 2015 season.....Tech wasn't even on the radar wrt ranking.
Just noe of many reasoning rankings should not start until game 4. Before that, it is just pure speculation

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
WRT to 2016.......it is the preseason ranking bias.......teams that are ranked pre season, get a pass for early season losses and are slow to drop ranking. Teams that are not ranked have a far more difficult climb, and drop like a rock at the first loss. After the 2015 season.....Tech wasn't even on the radar wrt ranking.
Just noe of many reasoning rankings should not start until game 4. Before that, it is just pure speculation
Wish I could like this several more times.

It is so obvious that preseason rankings totally skew the final rankings. It got to be a joke about SEC teams (which the preseason rankings are top heavy with) that they could be 0-1 and still be in the top 15 because their preseason rank was so high and their loss was a "quality loss." Kind of like how sports writers said Georgia should be in the playoffs even though they were not a conference champion and they had 2 losses because their last loss was so good. Lol. Meanwhile Central Florida has only lost 1 game in two years and has trouble making the top 5.

Thank you for pointing out this obvious discrepancy in the system.

Animal02

Banned

It is so obvious that preseason rankings totally skew the final rankings. It got to be a joke about SEC teams (which the preseason rankings are top heavy with) that they could be 0-1 and still be in the top 15 because their preseason rank was so high and their loss was a "quality loss." Kind of like how sports writers said Georgia should be in the playoffs even though they were not a conference champion and they had 2 losses because their last loss was so good. Lol. Meanwhile Central Florida has only lost 1 game in two years and has trouble making the top 5.

Yes, but since I opted not to play D1 ball.......apparently I am not qualified to discuss any issue regarding it. :rolleyes:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Every Tech fan wants to see Tech ranked every year. Most think it can happen with the right resources and staff. Few think it is not harder to do so at Tech than most other schools.

The funding still isn’t up to par. So thinking the switch will be flipped instantly is not very realistic.
While we are trying to catch up others are upping their game. Some have wealth ACTIVE alumni. Old partner went into gas marketing made billion and started okla state business school while giving ton to cowboy football. T A&M - one donor wrote check to hire fsu coach and staff and fire previous staff. U of h fired their coach and bought the W VA coach. These teams did this because they hate the university of Texas.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Miami should've been ranked ahead of us. They beat us, had a better ACC record, and a string of wins and a big bowl win that year. Our UGA win was big for us but not nationally as they werent ranked, then we beat an average SEC Kentucky team in the bowl. We should've finished inside the Top 25 but finished just outside of it iirc. Not that fishy IMO.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Miami should've been ranked ahead of us. They beat us, had a better ACC record, and a string of wins and a big bowl win that year. Our UGA win was big for us but not nationally as they werent ranked, then we beat an average SEC Kentucky team in the bowl. We should've finished inside the Top 25 but finished just outside of it iirc. Not that fishy IMO.
And they lost 4 straight games in the middle of the season including a loss to VT. Also, we didn't just beat Kentucky in the Gator; we curb-stomped them as badly as da U did UWV. And, I might add, the end of the season included 2 wins against SEC opponents.

I'll accept that da U should have been rated ahead of us. But Tech belonged in the top 25 in 2016. I think Animal has it right; we didn't make the final list because we weren't considered in the running at the first.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
And they lost 4 straight games in the middle of the season including a loss to VT. Also, we didn't just beat Kentucky in the Gator; we curb-stomped them as badly as da U did UWV. And, I might add, the end of the season included 2 wins against SEC opponents.

I'll accept that da U should have been rated ahead of us. But Tech belonged in the top 25 in 2016. I think Animal has it right; we didn't make the final list because we weren't considered in the running at the first.

Honestly, the rankings are a beauty pageant based on perception. Our programs perception has taken a big hit since 2014 and ultimately the reason I’m glad to see a change.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow

Like I said I thought we should've finished in the Top 25. I just see how it ended up we weren't in the end, while Miami was. That WVU win got them to #20. The UGA win was big for us but they weren't ranked that year and Kentucky was below them. Our biggest win nationally was VT but we'd had losses to lesser teams. We finished Top 30 in voting. No big conspiracy. I realize that's a thing of ours at Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It hurt us in the final polls of the championship season in 1990 also.