Coach Dave Patenaude

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree as a general rule, but this assumes your defense is up to the task. If you’re going to give up a score either way, it may be smart to risk it and perhaps keep possession.
Two different ways to play the game. One way feels like go ahead and fold because you don’t have the cards and wait for the next hand. Bide your time and wait for the cards to change.

The other way to play is like the guy loosing money but who keeps saying all I have to do is hit the big jack pot and I’m ahead again.

The current philosophy of offensive football almost seems to act like down, distance and game situation are less important than my possibility of hitting that one big play.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Bill Parcells talked extensively about “hidden yardage” and included punting in that discussion. If you can’t run it or pass it ... punt it and gain the yardage. Statistics show if you can win the field position game, you win ... the game.

I think strategy has disappeared from football as everyone seems to have converged to similar ways to play the game.
With how teams score now every Coach knows that Points matter, not yards. If you don’t have an elite defense this does nothing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We missed a wide open TE in the middle of the field on our next to last possession (iirc) against Duke. A good pass there and he scores (per the announcers) or at least goes along way. i don't remember if Sims was hurried on that throw or not.
Over throw or would have been at least big yardage and a rare third down conversion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We missed a wide open TE in the middle of the field on our next to last possession (iirc) against Duke. A good pass there and he scores (per the announcers) or at least goes along way. i don't remember if Sims was hurried on that throw or not.
The throw wasn't particularly hurried. Sims missed Billy Ward who was open for a big gain and could have run for more.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there anything to gain from running Yates out with the starters on offense the first possession? He's got the dink-and-dunk thing down and is a big changeup compared to Sims starting. Then again, Sims probably shows in practice why he's the clear-cut starter.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, if we do out Coach Patenaude after the season, I’d like to see us go after Nick Rolovich if he’d take a step down and be an O coordinator.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, if we do out Coach Patenaude after the season, I’d like to see us go after Nick Rolovich if he’d take a step down and be an O coordinator.

I thought this might be a timely reminder to everyone that this is the GT Football forum. For those of you who may feel compelled to either deify or crucify this gentleman based on his personal decision in regards to the vaccine can do so in our political topics forum. Thanks.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let me add I did not mention Rolovich based on his personal choices, he’s a good football coach with a good offensive scheme. I actually posted about him as a possible candidate after CPJs departure.

Post in thread 'Potential Head Coach Hires'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/potential-head-coach-hires.16498/post-499870

No problem. There was nothing in your post that could be misconstrued. It's just that the vaccine topic seems to be a hot button for some and I wanted to get in front of any potential responses that ARE off topic in this FB forum.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

I can't say I've watched much WSU football since Leach left, but why would this be a good hire for us? Not questioning you, just genuinely curious about what kind of scheme this guy runs and how it would fit us.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
But doesnt your handle say U R 4Shots?
Never mind.
Good night.
I mean..
.. c’mon

congratulations slow clap GIF

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was Billy Ward and he was open running towards the sideline but Sims overthrew him. I wonder if Jeff is having trouble seeing all these receivers going this away and that away? More than one poster has noted that he locks in pretty early on one guy and does not look away safeties as much as he should. Of course, with this offensive line "blocking" he might be better off in the old "Chuck and Duck" offense because that is about all the time he has to do anything before being hit, folded, and mutilated by 300lb defensive tackles.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m watching college game day on ESPN. The gang is previewing UCLA versus Oregon and showed a bunch of clips of Chip Kelly’s offense. That dude is so darn creative with what he’s doing. Makes me shake my head at what we are doing. A lot of what he is doing is stuff that would work for our talent.

Creative blocking angles and schemes with the OL. Spreading out five wide and running quarterback draws with the athletic quarterback. Even a pseudo- triple option look where the quarterback reads the defensive end then has the option to an inside pitch to a trailing tight end.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m watching college game day on ESPN. The gang is previewing UCLA versus Oregon and showed a bunch of clips of Chip Kelly’s offense. That dude is so darn creative with what he’s doing. Makes me shake my head at what we are doing. A lot of what he is doing is stuff that would work for our talent.

Creative blocking angles and schemes with the OL. Spreading out five wide and running quarterback draws with the athletic quarterback. Even a pseudo- triple option look where the quarterback reads the defensive end then has the option to an inside pitch to a trailing tight end.

giphy.gif

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You mean the coach whose entire staff makes $9.8 million and who went 10-21 in his first 3 years at UCLA?