Coach comparison rehash

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is the stuff I want to see! Own the problem and try to fix it. I was very unimpressed with his coaching ability last year. No excuse for that performance.
He is at an inflection point. He has the ability to excite the players and fans as well as bring in the recruiting results. But if he cant get the quality of coaches (hire or teach) then he will join the trash heap of failed coaches.
Now time for 3 or 4 offensive summits

He has the chance to be like Dabo and be GT's Clown, or he will just be a clown. Hopefully this experiment works out as good or better than the CPJ experiment. I would love a repeat of CPJ's performance.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is the stuff I want to see! Own the problem and try to fix it. I was very unimpressed with his coaching ability last year. No excuse for that performance.
He is at an inflection point. He has the ability to excite the players and fans as well as bring in the recruiting results. But if he cant get the quality of coaches (hire or teach) then he will join the trash heap of failed coaches.
Now time for 3 or 4 offensive summits

He has the chance to be like Dabo and be GT's Clown, or he will just be a clown. Hopefully this experiment works out as good or better than the CPJ experiment. I would love a repeat of CPJ's performance.

We need a TON better performance than the CPJ experiment.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We need a TON better performance than the CPJ experiment.

Lol. CPJ had historic success here. 2014 was 11 points away from entry into the first CFP. I'd love to see us do better than 2 orange bowl trips and 3 ACC championship trips in a decade that would be great. But to belittle what was actually achieved is just dishonest.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this experiment works out as good or better than the CPJ experiment. I would love a repeat of CPJ's performance.

You want a repeat of our .500 (53-53) FBS record over the last 9 years, with only one AP Top 25 finish? Then have the coach leave when the talent level is even more depleted? Talk about low expectations. I guess it keeps you from being disappointed.

I hope for a repeat performance as good or better than the coach who Collins says influenced him most--O'Leary, who had 5 consecutive AP Top 25 finishes and 3 consecutive wins over Georgia. All that and Waffle House!

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
You want a repeat of our .500 (53-53) FBS record over the last 9 years, with only one AP Top 25 finish? Then have the coach leave when the talent level is even more depleted? Talk about low expectations. I guess it keeps you from being disappointed.

hqdefault.jpg

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
CPJ had some mediocre seasons. He had some terrible seasons. He has some great seasons.

Depending on who you ask, they’ll tell you which seasons were more impactful.

But this is a defensive summit thread and Tech fans are easily derailed. Especially when CPJ is brought up in ANY form. So I’ll stop here.

Good for CGC doing well what he can to correct issues. If his execution is strong as his vision, we’re in for some good years ahead

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Get over your hate.
Lol. Like others have said. This about CGC’s defensive summit. I should’ve never even made a comment about the coaching debate in this thread. I don’t hate CPJ. Buut... while we’re at it, and while these posts are still in this thread; I’ve made some very positive comments CPJ. He did great things at Tech. The only “anti-CPJ” statement I made in my last post was that he could have and probably should have had more more success. You could also say the same thing about virtually anyone that’s ever coached or played anything. You could say it about Richt at Georgia, Jones at Tennessee, Muschamp at Florida, Cutcliffe at Duke, Charlie Strong at Texas, Chip Kelly currently at UCLA, Leech at Wazzu, the list goes on and on. To conclude my out of place rant, why don’t you stop assuming everyone who doesn’t blow roses up CPJ’s *** hates him.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
In fairness, GT had zero recruiting support staff when Johnson started here, then after several years hired a whopping staff of 4....compared to Clemmons and Nadlicker's recruiting support staffs were northward of 20.

One of the knocks on Johnson is he couldnt recruit. Not his strength to be sure but it takes a lot more than just having coaches who can recruit. Facilities are also a big draw, and only at the end of Johnsons tenure did those change. So for me Johnson and his stylized system were perfect for getting us through a financially difficult time for the Athletic Dept.

I like Johnson AND Collins. People who say Collins cant coach based on last year IMO do not see context or the big picture. Maybe Baylor should have fired Matt Rhule after he went 1-11 in his first year at Baylor. I mean WTF? Shoot, fire Saban after his first 6-6 season at Bama with a top notch roster. Should have been better, man!

People are just nuts. Then they feel the need to hijack threads by posting over and over again. Weird.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Lol. CPJ had historic success here. 2014 was 11 points away from entry into the first CFP. I'd love to see us do better than 2 orange bowl trips and 3 ACC championship trips in a decade that would be great. But to belittle what was actually achieved is just dishonest.

I belittled nothing. I am pointing out that a lower win % vs ugag than Carson, Rodgers, curry, Ross, GO’L is not something to emulate. 2014, 2014, 2014 the greatest year ever. Great - yes. But not for eternity because we DID lose to duke & unc. It wasn’t 1990, 1952, 1966, or many others. A low to mid 50% winning rate vs P5 comp is not something I hope we have as a goal.

I guess greatness, things we want to repeat and historic are in the eyes of individuals.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I belittled nothing. I am pointing out that a lower win % vs ugag than Carson, Rodgers, curry, Ross, GO’L is not something to emulate. 2014, 2014, 2014 the greatest year ever. Great - yes. But not for eternity because we DID lose to duke & unc. It wasn’t 1990, 1952, 1966, or many others. A low to mid 50% winning rate vs P5 comp is not something I hope we have as a goal.

I guess greatness, things we want to repeat and historic are in the eyes of individuals.

usp_ncaa_football__cfp_national_championship_game-_96438205-e1515509651482.jpg

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Those things are true. What is also true is his last 4 years was the worst stretch of football we’ve seen on the flats since Lewis.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I often wonder what we'd have looked like if CPJ
Those things are true. What is also true is his last 4 years was the worst stretch of football we’ve seen on the flats since Lewis.

Nah he had 2 winning seasons in there and a bowl win over an sec opponent and a win against its. Plus he upset the number 9 team in the country in his worst season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
For the love for Dodd, why does every thread dissolve into a CPJ vs CGC debate?! Guys, take that crap elsewhere

It has nothing to do with CPJ vs CGC.

It has to do with a non- historic winning % vs P5 & ugag as being labeled historic and the desire to emulate it.

It has to do with dumbing down GT and not being the best we deserve to be.