Coach comparison rehash

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m trying to imagine if CPJ would have gone 3-9 his first season, lost 45-0 to VT at home, got blown out by Temple without scoring on offense, lost to an FCS team and then set the record for punts in a game against UGA while getting slaughtered. I’m sure no one would have criticized him.
This is the post of the year and I don't think one will be better in the next 10 months. Sometimes someone just puts things into perspective.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m trying to imagine if CPJ would have gone 3-9 his first season, lost 45-0 to VT at home, got blown out by Temple without scoring on offense, lost to an FCS team and then set the record for punts in a game against UGA while getting slaughtered. I’m sure no one would have criticized him.

CPJ is a great coach, but he wouldn't have won 9 games with that roster last year. And if CGC had an ACC offensive and defensive player of the year plus all of the other talent, who knows how many games he would've won. Stupid to even compare the two based on 1 season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is a great coach, but he wouldn't have won 9 games with that roster last year. And if CGC had an ACC offensive and defensive player of the year plus all of the other talent, who knows how many games he would've won. Stupid to even compare the two based on 1 season.
Im not comparing them. Im saying that you can't have the season that we just had and expect no one to criticize you. If CPJ (or any other coach) would have had a similar first season, they would catch plenty of heat for it. CPJ likely would have taken even more heat considering the large number of fans who weren't very happy with him being hired in the first place.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not comparing them. Im saying that you can't have the season that we just had and expect no one to criticize you. If CPJ (or any other coach) would have had a similar first season, they would catch plenty of heat for it. CPJ likely would have taken even more heat considering the large number of fans who weren't very happy with him being hired in the first place.

Gotcha. I think all coaches are open to criticism, even Saban and Dabo. Some people will always be here to defend the honor of whoever the coach is, it just happens to be different ends of the spectrum in our case because CGC and CPJ are polar opposites. So their most ardent supporters are usually the same, polar opposites.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I imagine there would've been plenty of "We're in the middle of one of the biggest offensive transitions in history - be patient!" from his fans........:ROFLMAO:

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
url
No......nooooooo!!.god...please....nooooooo!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I imagine there would've been plenty of "We're in the middle of one of the biggest offensive transitions in history - be patient!" from his fans........:ROFLMAO:

Nah anyone who knew anything about Johnson would have pointed out that he'd pretty much had immediate success everywhere but the first season at navy and have been fully expecting the same kind of turnaround in his second year. Granted when I followed him he was at georgia southern where he had a 3 year regular season game winning streak and 2 national championships. I didn't really watch him at navy.