Coach Coleman's got his Mind Rite

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
So I was skeptical of M Coleman when he joined. As a recruiter and coach, I think legendary players have a hard time doing both. You have to be in part humble and patient (deal with stupid teenagers. We were all there once) and an extremely hard worker. I, for one, after a great nfl career + nfl vet pension would probably be enjoying retirement.

Thus far, he’s been great on both fronts especially the coaching. I’m exciting to see some DE develop under his coaching.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought that Curtis Ryans comments after FSU were telling. he said basically that coach told him "Stop looking at QB, focus on your reads and technique and it will come" and he says he did that and ended up with two big plays. Funny how it looks like the switch flipped for him in the middle of the game. The fact that he listened to his coach and it paid off immediately lends a lot of credibility to the coach in the eyes of players, fans and recruits.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The guy has credibility. Not just playing in the NFL but also playing on a NC team in college. I like setting big goals and being public about.
Without going into specifics, I once set an "impossible goal." Very few people even knew what I wanted to do and when I spoke to my older friend/mentor, he advised me to tell my family and friends. He said that would make me keep pushing when things become difficult and that I would find a way to meet the goal if it was public. So, I followed his advice and that sense of wanting to fulfill what I had told others I would do kept my going through thick and thin. I like Coach's vision and boldness. Go prove the doubters wrong big fellow.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Coleman is a walking talking accessible mentor for players NFL & college. He was successful in the college, the NFL, and when he retired in finance. He can pull up a residual or dividend and show players what proper investing looks like. Show them his pro bowl appearances and tell them what it’s like to achieve it. His presence is paying off.

NC or bust coach

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Coleman is a walking talking accessible mentor for players NFL & college. He was successful in the college, the NFL, and when he retired in finance. He can pull up a residual or dividend and show players what proper investing looks like. Show them his pro bowl appearances and tell them what it’s like to achieve it. His presence is paying off.

NC or bust coach
Pretty much just nailed it. As they say "The proof is in the bourbon" or Pudding or something like that....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm still on the fence about Coleman. I get that he has creds with the kids and that he can give advice during games. But we are averaging giving up an average of 484 yards a game on D. That is simply too much. If we improve and the Des are the reason, I'll feel better about him.

He was always one of my favorite players for Ross, btw. Nobody wanted him up north; he was a tween and nobody wanted to take the risk. Bobby took one look at his senior year figures and took him pretty much sight unseen. And, boy, did that turn out to be the right decision.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm still on the fence about Coleman. I get that he has creds with the kids and that he can give advice during games. But we are averaging giving up an average of 484 yards a game on D. That is simply too much. If we improve and the Des are the reason, I'll feel better about him.
I understand what you are saying, but at the same time every DE available to play is a freshmen or sophmore, and every DL is too except Jahaziel Lee. Its hard to expect those thin and super young groups to go out and dominate anyone at this point. Hopefully we get Clayton back before Louisville and some of the more experienced interior guys and we can see what we can do.

I don't remember if it was mentioned to me in person or someone on here, but I do wonder if the rapid S&C gains are causing more injuries for us. Outside of 2015 I don't remember CPJs teams being particularly injury prone, whereas both years of Collins so far seem to be that way - hard to tell injuries from Covid right now though.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I thought that Curtis Ryans comments after FSU were telling. he said basically that coach told him "Stop looking at QB, focus on your reads and technique and it will come" and he says he did that and ended up with two big plays. Funny how it looks like the switch flipped for him in the middle of the game. The fact that he listened to his coach and it paid off immediately lends a lot of credibility to the coach in the eyes of players, fans and recruits.

I caught that too. Part of why it stings to see Ryans out. He wasn't on anyone's radar as a breakout player that I saw.

As to Marco predicting a MNC -- come on. That's gonna get us some ridicule if other programs get hold of that. The problem with winning an MNC is it's not just about getting good enough, you have to have things line up too. Few programs are consistently in the discussion. Maybe we can get there, but there's a big divide in a lot of ways between us and them.

For the team, though, I love it. I think we are building something special, and I think it's definitely possible for a program outside of the Bama-Clemson-UGA-OSU-Oklahoma axis to win. We gotta push the talent level even further than we have.

poofed

Georgia Tech Fan
If they are going to win one they need to up the recruiting. I haven't seen a team who consistently on get three star recruits win the championship. Hopefully they start to make some inroads on getting at least around seven four star commits yearly.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

NC or bust coach

Marco is a great guy! So glad we have him.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I caught that too. Part of why it stings to see Ryans out. He wasn't on anyone's radar as a breakout player that I saw.

As to Marco predicting a MNC -- come on. That's gonna get us some ridicule if other programs get hold of that. The problem with winning an MNC is it's not just about getting good enough, you have to have things line up too. Few programs are consistently in the discussion. Maybe we can get there, but there's a big divide in a lot of ways between us and them.

For the team, though, I love it. I think we are building something special, and I think it's definitely possible for a program outside of the Bama-Clemson-UGA-OSU-Oklahoma axis to win. We gotta push the talent level even further than we have.
I recall people thinking Ken Swilling was a few sandwiches short of a picnic when he declared in the summer of 1990, that Tech would win the MNC.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If they are going to win one they need to up the recruiting. I haven't seen a team who consistently on get three star recruits win the championship. Hopefully they start to make some inroads on getting at least around seven four star commits yearly.
Yeah I agree. Last year’s momentum has worn off.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I love the attitude. If you don’t think you can win then you usually won’t win. Doesn’t mean we will, but gotta have that mindset. There is a buzz about the program for sure, but there’s a big difference between top-20-something recruiting classes and top-5 recruiting classes. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the recruiting if we start winning.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah I agree. Last year’s momentum has worn off.
I guess it depends how you look at it. I don’t think all this nonsense with Rona has helped. Winning will solve that problem.

I love the attitude. If you don’t think you can win then you usually won’t win. Doesn’t mean we will, but gotta have that mindset. There is a buzz about the program for sure, but there’s a big difference between top-20-something recruiting classes and top-5 recruiting classes. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the recruiting if we start winning.
Agree. Think we need to wait & see. I really don’t get people betting against a winner. I wouldn‘t bet against Marco Coleman. Winners win, they just figure it out even if it’s not in their wheelhouse.